Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical E475(410MEL)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl_William, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Karl_William

Karl_William

I can get my hands on an E475 cheap. Looking to swap into a 6cyl Falcon. It's the 410 cid MEL. Can anyone shoot me a list of 410/430 crossover parts? Such as manifolds, water pumps, cam gears etc? Also I've heard this engine shares the FE trans pattern (pre 62), but they never offered a manual trans... Will an FE flywheel bolt up to the crank without mods? Will the MEL crank need modified pilot bushing or drilled to accept manual transmission?

2. I'm not a Ford guy, but I thought that all of the FE series kinda shared the same parts? Isn't the crank in the 410 the same crank as the 428?

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You're thinking of the 428 FE and the 410 FE (Mercury) which shared the same crank. The 410 MEL is a different animal

Boneyard51, ottoman, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. Lol yeah my Ford lingo sucks. All in aware of is the 352-390-410-428 group.

Spooky likes this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

I had a friend in high school that had a factory manual trans, 58 Edsel 2dr sedan, not sure which V8 was in it. I used to flip cars when young, got a almost free car $50, a very nice car, no rust, ran, looked good with a E475, 410, 58 Edsel 2 dr hardtop with auto trans. PS,PB. Trans was junk so I went to our local parts store (junkyard) and purchased complete conversion for $75 making it a stick car, pedals, everything, only other things purchased were pilot bearing. brass/bronze, put in crank and floor shit kit. Bolted it all together no problems including drive shaft length. That engine had way to much torque for the old 3 speed ford side shift trans, believed they were designed for flat heads. The engine was good/strong stock only performance add on was dual exhaust with glass packs. When I did sell car I told the buyer do not do any hole shots or jump on gas in first gear as it would blow trans right now, I blew 3 in 3 weeks playing around, back then, them Ford trans were $15/ I bought 2 at a time, a spare was in trunk when car sold. That guy cruised that car a lot, I changed out 1 trans for him and I guess he learned to baby it or found a stronger trans which I don't know what that would be, I was/am a Chevy guy, I saw that car around for a few years, actually was a very nice pretty car, he paid me $400. in 1966 or 67. My post does not tell you exactly which parts, just saying it can be done, Ford parts were available. Been There, Done That.

seb fontana and Karl_William like this.
  6. 4DAE00B7-A6CC-4933-82E9-A3504D42666B.gif

There are a bunch of different companies that make trans adapters to bolt just about anything to any thing .

I got a bundsten ? Bedstend? Bernstein bears ?? It’s a company that makes all sorts of tranny adapters, I got one to bolt a Chevy trans to a Buick nailhead, slick piece. Not cheap. Came with the flex plate as well.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you decide to go against the 475 MEL , I would like a chance to buy it, my friend has been looking for one for a spell!

Bones

Spooky and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. redo32

redo32

Spooky and Karl_William like this.
  9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

To answer the OP's questions:

The only difference between a 410 MEL and 430 MEL is the bore. 4.20" vs. 4.30" Everything else interchanges. The later model 430's (2 bbl versions, post 1962) did have different pistons that reduced the compression ratio and had a "modified" version of the FE bell housing pattern.

An FE flywheel will bolt up, but beware of the balance condition. 410 and 428 FE's were externally balanced and as such used a different balance flywheel than the rest of the FE family. MEL's were internally balanced like all shorter stroke FE's.

Be prepared to machine the crank for a pilot bearing, however the OD on the torque convertor pilot boss used in some applications matched the OD of the pilot bearings used by Ford in others. You may get lucky and find the right combination, or not.

10. Karl_William

Karl_William

So a 390 flywheel should work? Would there be any concern about tooth count and starters?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

410MEL heads are similar to 348/409 Chevy heads, the combustion chamber is at the top of bore unlike FE/FT heads that feature combustion chambers in the heads. NOT a lot of aftermarket performance options however don't be dissuaded. Also I recall that a 462MEL has a different (Offset) transmission bolt pattern, something else to consider if applicable to early 410?
    [​IMG]

Karl_William likes this.
  12. Karl_William

Karl_William

I've heard these heads flow as well as the 428SCJ... could this be true? They have very large ports, almost like cathedral port ls.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Spooky and Karl_William like this.
  14. Karl_William

Karl_William

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both MEL’s and W Chevrolets heads were flat. A shop that can do 348-409 bore can do a MEL. No mystery.

Tman and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Spooky

Spooky

17. Karl_William

Karl_William

Spooky likes this.
  18. Karl_William

Karl_William

I've also heard rumors that the E475 had better(possibly stronger) crank and rods than the rest? Anyone else heard this, or confirm it?

19. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Pre '64 FE starter is the same as an MEL. After '64, Ford changed the FE's starter design. Stick with the Early FE stuff, and you should be fine.

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I don't know why that would be true. The 430 shared it's stroke with the 410 and used the same crank and rods as the 410. The '58 430 Super Marauder was the top performance engine in '58. Rated at 400 Hp and 500 ft-lbs, it would have gotten any and all go-fast goodies, not the more pedestrian 410.

Spooky likes this.
  21. Karl_William

Karl_William

I think I'd heard somewhere for the 58 year the cranks and possibly the rods were steel not iron?

22. Rand Man

Rand Man

Bringing up this old thread, because I have found a 430 MEL rebuilt engine for cheap.

What automatic transmissions should fit? I can’t remember exactly, but seems like the bell housing pattern changed after 1964. A pre 64 C6 might be hard to find. I know companies make adapters.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    Boneyard51 and Spooky like this.
  23. Spooky

Spooky

I will dive into the books tomorrie and find out.

Rand Man likes this.
  24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Rand Man likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Funny nobody notice in the original post the guy wanted to put the big motor in a 6 cyl Falcon!

IIRC, C6 didn’t come out until 1966, so it would have the 6 bolt pattern.

Beanscoot, Spooky and Rand Man like this.
  26. The 1958-60 MEL(S) (383-410-430) had the same bolt patterns as the FE.

The bolt pattern was changed slightly in 1961 to fit within the 61 LINC (starter motor position).

The (1958/60) MERC MEL(S) used STD TRANS, so that would be your source if needed. Early FE will work.

MEL ENGINE FORUM - http://ford-mel-engine.com/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Spooky likes this.
  27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Rand Man,
    I think you are stuck with a Cruis-O-Matic, if you want to keep it stock. If you have an early MEL, with the FE bellhousing pattern, than you should be able to use any C6 with the FE pattern. If you want an Overdrive auto trans, your only option is an adaptor and some machining.

Spooky and Rand Man like this.
  28. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks all. I could probably find an FE C6. I might as well go to an overdrive. That means I need to look into an adapter.

Spooky likes this.
  29. EDIT - CORRECTION -

Only the 58 MERC 430 came through with a STD TRANS (MEL) and that was the 430-6V MERC had to build for NASCAR qualification. It used an aluminum CRAGAR BELL.

The FE bell, flywheel and starter motor will work ( RG teeth count - diam - starter style)

Sorry about that.

The C6 was used for the 1966 LINC 462 - It had a special case/bell to fit into the LINC chassis. It (C6) was then adapted to the replacing early 385 SERIES LINC 460 (the LINC specific 460 having a special bolt pattern to take either the MEL specific C6 or the corporate C6 pattern to fit the LINC CHASSIS).

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Look at the bell housing pattern. It is very easy to tell if it is the later pattern as there is a large bulge over the starter area. Very obvious. If your engine has that pattern , I have a C-6 transmission that will fit it! I will trade it for an E4OD transmission!

Bones