Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hamb Period Hotrods/Customs and the Art...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

51-year-darryl-starbird-futurista_1_f57ae39d314d4a927a56e0f5ad43999f.jpg

MonoPC108Futurista1-vi.jpg

MonoPC108Futurista6-vi.jpg

:rolleyes:...Model box art is many times as exciting as the real deal but at a minimum they complement each other and assist bringing notoriety to the Hotrod/Custom...and presents around the birthday table and under many a Christmas Tree...

Graphic Artists were heavily relied upon to make these chosen rides look real good and sell and that even went right into the instructions were itemized parts diagrams were detailed, also quite interesting and necessary...

Artists, Unknown

IMG2-vi (1).jpg

400px-Darryl-starbird-futurista.jpg

10487833124_a69f348229_c.jpg

:rolleyes:...This Futuristic Futurista Offering by Darryl Starbird was a Hamb Era Creation with non Hamb Friendly Motive power but the Design followed a Theme of Space Age design very prevalent in the mid 60s...

Credit to Artists, Photographers

rod1, deadbeat, Jalopy Joker and 2 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32rpudrawing2002.jpg

:rolleyes:...A loose sketch by Hamber @NealinCA helped shape this Hotrod Roadster Pickup he built some time ago...he really does have a great hand for this as there are other more detailed sketches he did for the build that dot his Thread here and there...

32RPU_Haring_Lowered.jpg
    :rolleyes:...This was an Inspiration done by Hamber @haring for Neal...one of Several as this was once a Pickup...
    Awesome work...

32RPUApril2009.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/32-rpu-build-thread-the-10-year-plan.642590/

:rolleyes:...Neal is pretty much as good with metal and all things mechanical as he is with his Artistic side as evidenced by the images above and the detailing within his Threads...

Credit to Artist's, Photographer, Owners

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3B coupe.jpg

:rolleyes:...I believe this Artwork is drawn by Hamber @the-rodster as a basis and guiding light for his latest project well underway and nothing short of incredibly impressive....

Roof (Medium).png

IMG_9793.JPG

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9810.JPG

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-project-the-3b-speed-shop-34-coupe.1220807/

:rolleyes:...While still evolving many times the construction is as exciting as the completion and this project is at a point where the finish line is starting to come into view...I will be following Rodsters challenging journey with the 3B Coupe as it is but one of the Hambs most precious assets...its incredible membership...

Incredible journey @the-rodster...Thank You...;)

Credit to Artist, Photographer and Owner

rod1, A Boner, 40FORDPU and 8 others like this.
  4. Car owned and built by Cameron Michael, rendering by D-Russ, photo by @seadog
    325W.png green 5W.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    41 GMC K-18, gnichols, rod1 and 14 others like this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dash bar concept drawing by Ryan Hartman.

Dash Bar Drawing - Ryan Hartman.jpg

Dash bar nearly complete:

Details Behind the 35-36 Dash Reinforcement Hanging Pedals.jpg

Dash Firewall and Hanging Pedal Reinforcement.jpg

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lovin' it Team Hamb...

@-Brent-, I searched out Ryan's connection other than the Artist of the nicely executed Sketch and he's a Fabricator on your project as well along with yourself and no doubt others...

I always say some share a hand in Art to canvas while others the canvas is in their head...Ryan is one who can do both...I'll bet the others could as well, they just don't pick up a pencil and put it to paper...

I'm thinking it would be cool to have three of four detail sketches set around the completed project all in one framed up on the wall...

For those who haven't seen Brent's Thread here is a link to his evolving Hotrod...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ip-model-a-coupe.1159568/page-9#post-13355431

@D-Russ you are one that does exactly what I'm describing above...Artist and Fabricator/Builder...you have a wonderful way with your imagery and of course your vision in hands on Hotrod...

Thank you both for sharing these...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Olds done by a good friend. 10572135_10152279273031752_1323134321446290993_o.jpg 92706136_218503816093573_4019231903130320896_n.jpg

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    hfh, brady1929, v8flat44 and 7 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CCC-jim-street-history-Golden-Sahara-2-10.jpg

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/jim-street-golden-sahara-ii/

:rolleyes:...This is an interesting juxtaposition with both the Art and the Real deal in one image...

The Artwork was done on the wall of a dealership the Custom was being shown...it was the Work of an unnamed Mexican Artist that Jim knew...pretty dramatic painting...for the moment at that...

It is part of an extensive history on the second generation Golden Sahara penned by Hamber @Rikster at his Valuable Custom Site The Custom Car Chronicle at the link above...

Credit to Artist, Photographer, Owners

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@Stogy ....I did that art... woah.... 2007?......2004?
    can't remember.... both were inked and sold (at the Round Up art Gallery I think)...... Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.47.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.47.59 PM.png ... and one of them got destroyed by an over-zealous cleaning woman in the owners house..... not sure which one......... not sure who did that Tat...... but......

maneri, rod1, brady1929 and 8 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, I like your work much more...;)...not a surprise to see it further inspiring the masses right and wrong. There's definately no doubt your illustration was used as a base for this Tattoo. It's in reverse so the pic is either backwards or it was requested in right hand drive...how about that...good eye...

I'm not sure where I found that pic, I find a lot just in web search but it may have been here too...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    brady1929, deadbeat and Jeff Norwell like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSCF7602.jpg

:rolleyes:...Artists were I suspect busier with advertising in a more classical way back in the day and the results were very complimentary to the pics and the real deal that were many times show and go...

upload_2021-11-11_4-21-20.png

:rolleyes:...and further to that are Artists like @jnaki who are Racers, Photographers and also quite capable at the multi medium Art...that due to their hands on knowledge of the big picture make for greatly detailed images...graciously shared here...

cookandbedwell.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/old-ads.1133534/page-2#post-14268373

:rolleyes:...The Cook and Bedwell Slingshot...just one example of the rails of a very beautiful time in go fast...

Credit to Artist's, Photographer, Owners

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Stogy,

You are very nice in giving me compliments. It is always nice to take the time to draw from what you see and remember. But to get a comment from anyone that actually liked my old drawings and even crazy new ones is a good sign. Thank you for taking the time to make the drawings a part of this cool thread.

Some posts fit really well in the concept of HAMB Period-Customs and The Art. I am not an artist like some of the great artists here that have studios and the old guys that once drew cool magazine art. But, I keep plodding along since those old junior high school days drawing on my Pee Chee notebooks and the pandemic gives me plenty of time to think up some new form of drawing hot rods or surf cruisers.
    upload_2022-4-13_17-34-3.png
    Here is a group photo I took from the original Lion’s Dragstrip Museum Grand Opening in 2017.

The Cook and Bedwell version, right next to the Chizzler and the famous Jack Chrisman Model A sedan. corner.
    upload_2022-4-13_17-36-36.png
    It is pretty much like the version from back in 1957. 60 years later in 2017, at the original Grand Opening of the Lions Dragstrip Museum.

Jnaki

My brother and I spent plenty of "midnight talks" from our old days of hot rods, drag racing and memorable surfing days. If he were still around, the historic information would have doubled and tripled with his memories. He was inspirational for me when I needed a boost and a good guy to boot.

As my wife said back then: (when my brother visited our family's house in OC from his Santa Barbara home,)

"I should record this long conversation as the topics are usually the same: Hot Rods, Drag Racing and Surfing. Throw in some Desert Motorcycling with more road trip Surfing and that pretty much sums up those long midnight conversations..." Ha!

She is a wise woman and kept me on the right track all of these years since our first date in 1966.
    upload_2022-4-13_17-32-25.png

15. deadbeat

deadbeat

@jnaki we all love you're stories, pics, videos and art so please keep them coming. Especially for us that were either too young or living on the other side of the world, we missed a great era in automotive history. Happy Easter up there, cheers

Stogy and jnaki like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bash.jpg

:rolleyes:...This Artwork reminds me of Hokey Ass part of Hamb....just a Kookie Inspiration done by Hamber @Bash of a Jalopy below...something just to bring a smile in a moment many of us have experienced...the breakdown...from the looks of it this was a serious one...and truth be told may be based on a real experience...

moldy.jpg

ygpA34F.jpg

http://www.aeclassic.com/1928_ford_el_lay_mae/index.html

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tales-of-the-ratfink-jalopy.804186/#post-8926945

:rolleyes:...This was Hamber @Moldy's RP...I believe he is also a Ratfink era Artist/Hotrodder or at a minimum quite entrenched in that Culture that is still a force today...the Pickup may also been in a Ratfink Movie shared at the Hamb link above...

Neither Hamber have been on in ions but their legacy here is still a force and part of the Culture we revere here...

Credit to Artist's, Photographer's, Owner's

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@jnaki, your Artworks are uniquely yours and that's one of those golden attributes of every Artist...the diversity of interpretation...I too am fortunate to have the opportunity to express my love of vintage Hotrod/Custom and more through seeing life as it evolves day to day through my own non professional artistic lens...truly a simplistic form of escaping the harsh realities of life for a short time here and there...it really puts a smile on my face...and a warmth within my heart...

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I had an idea, am not an artist with pen or pencil, so I altered a magazine photo to fit my vision .
    our pic`s 009.jpg 33Vic.jpg

alanp561, deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great Dave, totally viable standard method of achieving a vision...a form of cut and paste up...

Photoshop and the plethora of similar programs are just the modern tool that performs this digitally...

I was just discussing these older methods with @hotrodjack33...I took several Art Courses in College that employed this and many other methods as Computers weren't even a thing yet...but I did make that transition and man was I royally impressed at the power they brought to the trade...put a lot of former methods out to pasture...

brady1929, lothiandon1940 and Dave Mc like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-6_4-5-34.png Old Friday Art

Hello,

When we were growing up in Long Beach, my brother always wanted to go see the local car shows and since I was not old enough to drive as yet, I got to tag along. The cars were varied and that opened up a lot of likes and dislikes in styles. The coupes and old sedans were our favorites. They looked cool and some looked like race cars.

But, on the other hand, the popularity of the big Mercury two door post sedans was nothing to write home about to anyone. They were big, heavy looking and seemed out of place at the drags. They covered plenty of space on the highways and local car shows. A lot of them were chopped and the predominant color was black. Sometimes, a dark blue color popped up and stood our among the masses.

As I kept noticing them, some were famous from the early magazine days, while others just looked like old cars sliding down the road. Lowered , chopped and some on a slight lowered rake all played their parts in the custom car world. Since they were on the far spectrum of hot rods and customs, they had the styles, but it was just not our “thing.”

So, I had the urge to draw a lowered Mercury sedan, but having owned a hardtop sedan without a post, that opening had to be a part of the new design. There were not too many custom Mercury hardtop two door sedans in various shows and definitely not on the road. So, it was simple to draw as much proportion as possible and take out the post, while keeping the sleek design flowing back. fender skirts kept the back smooth and made the big sedan somewhat sleeker than if it did not have them.

Jnaki

So one last hot rod thing was to make on a slightly lowered rake and keep all else the same. Now it showed some aggressive looks while standing still.
    upload_2022-8-6_4-6-29.png
    Art Imitates Life …
    upload_2022-8-6_4-6-59.png

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you weren't so fond of the big Mercs...but something about them kept tugging at your heartstrings...they certainly lend themselves well to the huge array of potential Custom treatments and it seems your Hardtop mod has become pretty popular...as you have displayed...

I lean more Hotrod but truly have a major liking for the Customs as well...the diversity of my interests has changed a lot over the years...

So J what was the Hardtop you owned...the 58 Chevy...Mercury never had a Hardtop in 49, 50, 51 did they?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-10-30_4-24-39.png
    Hello,

As we all know, Pat Ganahl is gone, but his writings and persona will live on in our collective minds. He had one of the coolest Chevy sedans in So Cal. It even had a great example of a popular item in the hot rod/cruising circles from the old time era of 59-61. Scavenger pipes under the sedans came in all kinds. Some were from the short exhaust headers, the removable outlets and bolted on when the “look” was necessary or needed.

Some versions came directly from the mufflers and ran the length of the car past the rear axle. So, with that in mind and his good nature of style I remember, here is a Halloween version of his Chevy sedan, including the chrome scavenger pipes. But, the paint is orange to go along with the latest craze in small trailers, and a Halloween surprise.
    upload_2022-10-30_4-26-3.png
    Jnaki

Thanks for the inspiration in the art of writing stories, photography and to paying attention to some details to make things interesting, along the way. (We were young once…a long time ago…) Magazine stories take some time to arrange and get right, although, some red marks by the supreme editor was always disheartening. Also, to do things that is fun and gives some laughter to the whole situation, made it a friendly atmosphere, not a job, but a passion… YRMV

You will be remembered!!!
    upload_2022-10-30_4-27-25.png

41 GMC K-18, maneri, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dm_full_35-Copy.jpg

https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/darrell_mayabb.html

The art of Darrell Mayabb has been a part of Vintage Hotrod/Custom and beyond for many years now...Hamber @Stu's friend Ron wouldn't be the first to be inspired in such a way by his admiration of Darrell's work above...just one of many...

IMG_1237-1024x360.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-eight-ball-33.1301143/

:rolleyes:...Hamber @Stu's friend/fabricator without a doubt did imitate art right down to the scale it seems and still fits in it and managed to get a smallblock shoehorned in it as well... a dream of Ron's for quite some time now and a labor of love, he pulled it off...you can read more about it at the link above and more at Rons blog link at the link above as well...

Credit to Artist, Photographer, Owners

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    chevy57dude and D type like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My bubbletop the Futurian on the 50th anniversary poster for the MSRA

13FB35D2-7FD6-4BC1-BD15-BFFE5C77B639.jpeg 1297CE16-ED5B-4470-8130-886102F3A880.jpeg

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Forgot about this one done in magic marker by Kenny Youngblood. Can’t remember what show we were at but he drew a lot of cars that weekend and they all had the same fire breathing exhaust headers on them. I asked him if he was getting royalties from some header manufacturer?? Lol 718FFCA4-96A8-4813-B048-017D967C08F7.jpeg 463D5B2C-67FA-4168-876D-A6BDCE7C387A.jpeg F25A743A-407A-4C5C-803B-D42F34E42AC9.jpeg

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Late Dave Bell's Art...and the other post by Kenny Youngblood...incredible automotive Artists...

Quite an honor to have your work celebrated in ink by their gifted hands...

Thanks for sharing those...
    and your incredible Custom Work...is as I say many times Art on 4 Wheels that goes...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SlooperRH02-vi.jpg
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/

IMG_4192[1].JPG

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1938-39-40-sloper-custom.1210500/

Hamber @X38 has been working quite extensively on an acquired former Custom Sloper project. Building and Fabbing a Custom is a laborious affair and pretty incredible to witness...he's pretty focused and had his vision assisted in part by an Inspiration done by Hamber @Rikster a well rounded Custom Historian and Artist...

It's still progressing brilliantly and X's progress has well surpassed Riksters digital Inspiration...

Visit his Thread at the link above...you won't be disappointed but rather you will be picking up your jaw...it is that good...;)

Credit to Artist, Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stanlow2.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/soldiers-joy-a-pre-40-s-custom.1088859/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratchboard

:rolleyes:...An Inspiration in Scratchboard by the Late Hamber @stanlow69 shared both in his Thread 'Soldiers Joy' and recently in a Thread about 'Art and Reality' much like this Thread...

Stanlow_RIPFV.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rest-in-peace-jim-stanley.1303607/page-3#post-15023811

:rolleyes:...I periodically when following Threads take an initiative to do an Inspiration to give a Hamber a visual of what their Project may look like moving forward...I have wanted to do one for Stan for quite some time and when he shared it in the Thread on Reality the other day I saved the Image and started it only to get the unfortunate news he had left us...:oops:

Being a believer of Spirit I continued and made this for him...He was really onto something with this project...those 32/3/4 Mopars are a force in luxury and beauty...

Like so many Hambers that have left us over the Years I will remember...with part of their legacy here forever amongst the many Threads...

RIP Stanlow69

Credit to All That Inspired This