Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Would you? Anyone near Wixom, MI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShaggyCRMC, Nov 16, 2021.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over 20 years ago I went to the east coast from SoCal and back in October. No weather issues until I got to Flagstaff and then got a boat load of snow on the road to Phoenix. And about 10 years or so ago I drove to Oklahoma in April to pick up a truck I bought on Ebay. It snowed in New Mexico. Point is you really never know what the weather will be like. Mother nature can be sweet and loving or be a real beatch. But what the hell, I say go for it.

Boneyard51 and 210superair like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I'd have to have a pretty good feeling that it would actually be driveable....finding parts to fix stuff on something that old, in a hurry, can be a real challenge. Maybe a video of the guy driving it around, with some type of evidence that it was filmed that day. and a few long conversations with the seller to get a feel for how deep the bullshit is.

But yeah, if it's a decent car, it would be a fun adventure...what could possibly go wrong? :)

guthriesmith, tommyd, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  3. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Its really hard to find a decent semi rust free car in the upper Midwest.. Id never buy one sight unseen up here.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe one too many episodes of Vice Grip Garage ? :D

Baumi likes this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of us from up here wouldn't buy a car from up here. :)
    But a lot of us would buy an Arizona car.

tommyd, ottoman, JNKYARDDOG_1 and 7 others like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You should’ve thought of this 3 weeks ago . My Dad just sold a solid ‘54 Chevy with new tube chassis . But no…… :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. I was gonna say "squirrel would"

carpok and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

I'm an hour from Wixom, not that it helps because I don't wanna be responsible for missing something on the car if I was to go look at it for you. I'm notorious for overlooking obvious stuff because I have stars in my eyes when I'm checking stuff out. A couple of other people mentioned on here that Michigan folks would buy an Arizona car way before a Michigan car. I'll second that, I have two cars that I bought that were western cars, and they are a pleasure to work on. Not one single broken bolt because they were rusted, and not one single floor patch needed. The winter roads here are really hard on cars. I love a good story though, so I'll be watching if you do it. You can stop by my place after you pick it up if you need to fix something before you hit the open road.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

When you start sliding in the snow, turn the wheel in the same direction.

fourspd2quad and hotrodjack33 like this.
  10. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

My feelings exactly. But December in Michigan in a unknown 6v 54 Chevy?...... no, no noooooo!!!!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Go for it, just join AAA ! You have trouble they will tow you up to 100 miles to a garage, if you break down! Just make sure they tow you South every time! Lol
    It’s well worth it, they towed my motorhome ten miles to a tire store a few years ago! Free!

Oh, bring a lot of coats, not jackets, coats!

Bones

fourspd2quad, Fortunateson and Boryca like this.
  12. ken bogren

ken bogren

Buy an AZ car? Just not one that lived in MN for 60 years before being hauled to AZ.

13. phat rat

phat rat

8 hrs is a days drive and not overly long

Chains, snowmobile suit. I live farther north than Wixom and have never in 61 years of driving have I used or needed chains. For 16 yrs I drove 56 mi a day to work and the only time I missed work because of snow was when everything was shut down including the roads which was only twice. One year we got 120 in. of snow in the month of Jan.
    Before I'd drive that car to Az. I'd want to look at it myself. As far as what one guy said about not carrying cash, your bank better have a branch nearby. Speaking for myself ONLY CASH is accepted I don't care how honest you look or might be. It's cash or you'd leave disappointed
    I looked the car up. It presents it's self well in the pictures but I'd still want to look at it and drive it myself before I committed to a 2K run with it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Shaggy, I'm just south of you. Wixom, Nashville to Sierra Vista is at least EDIT 2,120 miles - not counting side trips. I grew up back east, I am with the crowd that avoids rust-belt vehicles. My dad has a 51 Chevy that rusted through the floors in less than 10 years. You could spit out of it without opening a door or window.

100% have some one check it out for body and structural rust.

>>"I wouldn't be able to get out there until 10 Dec." Weather is a great concern. September 9, 2020 it snowed in Albuquerque, NM. I just missed it on my way to Lead Ain't Dead. The Roadkill guys are followed by a car containing the camera and drone crew. A frozen fuel line or clogged fuel filter is much more difficult without a warm car following.

Even a well prepared vehicle can breakdown, you just never know. A few years ago, I sold an off-topic IH crew cab.. The truck was decently maintained and recently driven to El Paso, TX and Wickenburg, AZ. Two young guys @BrandonBerkosky flew out and drove it back to PA. The only part failure was a new name-brand ignition coil. The got lucky, there were a few houses at that rural NM interstate exit. One had a few old trucks in the back yard. He gave them a used coil - would not take a payment.

I have an off-topic old truck that has seen 37 states so far, only a couple of roadside repairs while traveling. - Plan B is to rent a Uhaul truck and auto trailer and just haul the broken truck home. It finally happened, a quick trip to Flagstaff - the plan was to rent a Uhaul box trailer and move the grandson home from college. The driveshaft U-joint shed all it's needles in Flagstaff on Friday night. Rented a box truck and auto trailer...

Russ

EDIT: 2,120 miles....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    hotrodjack33 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. spanners

spanners

Hemi Joel might be up for it?

guthriesmith and squirrel like this.
  16. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Sounds like an adventure. I'm in Detroit, happy to take a ride out to Wixom to look at a car. Hit me up.

Mike

Squablow, Boneyard51, KJSR and 5 others like this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

If the car is a good solid car, that could be a great road trip in about April or May.
    Leaving MI after Dec 10 is a real crapshoot drive, weather wise, and then you adding in an unknown car.

I drive my car a lot, roughly 80,000 miles in the last 10 years, but even then, I check it out thoroughly before I would consider a 1200 mile trip with it, and I know this car very well. Even with a good heater, a great defroster, and modern electric wipers, I would have to think really hard about leaving our home in the north west corner of IL on Dec 10 for a 1200 mile trip. One freak snow storm could be a whole deal changer between a fun fun trip, and a nightmare road trip. Gene

18. phat rat

phat rat

I don't know where some of you are getting an 1100 or 1200 mi trip. Google Maps say dropping down to Indy and I-70 it's 1977 mi. Those figures wouldn't even make the panhandle of Texas

19. oldsman41

oldsman41

You cant get up this way till dec 10th you will probably be driving in snow all the way to lower Kentucky. Sounds to me you have someone here who will have a look see for you then when you get here you can decide on the ride or the trailer. Oh yeah 2000 miles via I 44 via i10 add 200 to that easy.

20. squirrel

squirrel

When I drove my little Chevy II up to Kalamzoo and back in September, the weather was great. And I knew the car. Wasn't much of an adventure.... :)

Boryca and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Fat fingers, I corrected my post ;)

Russ

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You truly can't find a solid 54 in the Southwest? You're within reach of half a dozen states in a days drive.

If not, I'd say take up Boryca's offer of him looking at the car for you. If it's a go, AND the weather looks good, fly out ASAP and start driving South.

If it's a go and the weather has gone to crap, maybe have a contingency plan to pay 210superair store it for the Winter. Fly out with the GF after the melt and knock out Nashville in the Spring.

Hats off to these guys for offering to help you out! Same goes for your GF, she's a trooper.

210superair likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Cars in Arizona have crusty interiors. My brother lives in Ohio. They`ve gotten snow already. Scan0381.jpg

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d fly in, rent a car. Go look at it. If you want it. Rent a storage bay and head back later with a trailer. -----Or drive it back with the option of renting a truck and a trailer.

25. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

That's a great idea. Take someone with you and make a fun trip out of it-see some sights, maybe seller will store it for you. Then in spring, come back up and check car out well and drive it home in decent weather. Now that would be great!

guthriesmith, stanlow69 and i.rant like this.
  26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Rent a small box truck and a car dolly.
    Drag that thing home to sunny Arizona after someone inspects it for you.
    The weather is about to turn nasty up here. Good luck. I hope it’s as good as advertised.
    Lets see a picture.

27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I live in northern Indiana and I would never buy a car from Michigan.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. My grand-dad told me long ago. "no one likes adventures when they are having them" LOL.
    He also taught me the "rule of ones" when driving in inclement weather... Only do one thing at a time.
    don't brake and turn, don't accelerate while turning, etc.. do one input at a time.
    As for the trip....have it checked out. If the tires look good, the brake lines (and hoses) look good, then show up with some tune up parts, oil change supplies, your AAA card, a wad of cash and go for it.
    Worst case you spend some time on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck and you have to rent a truck and trailer to get home
    Those Roadkill guys do it all the time...LOL
    Chappy

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cracks me up, "...I wouldn't buy a car from Michigan..." as if a 1954 CHEVY spent it's whole life here just because it's here? Where's it from? Hey, I wouldn't buy some cars from TX. "67 Impala from TX..." but how do I know it wasn't a bondo'd rot box from up north during the great TX migration from the NE in the early-mid 70s? I guess if I had a story to go with the car I could judge it but damn, no logic here. I have MN 39 tudor with OG paint. Only rust is the toolbox back panel area, like a lot of them. MINNESOTA. Never underestimate the...

30. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

^^ that's a good point. I looked at the ad on CL and it looks like a nice car, I can see why you're considering the trip. A couple of pictures of the underside would be great to see, and the car's story would be good to know (for whatever it is worth).

210superair likes this.