Register now to get rid of these ads!

Right DIstributor ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bennyruizbad1941coupe, Nov 14, 2021.

1. I have a 1941 plymouth P12 coupe and I have replaced the motor with a 1950 dodge 230 flathead six, my mechanic used my old distributor which came out of an industrial 201 straight six, I changed the condensor and the points and now it does'nt run correctly , Is there a difference ? should I try to get a distributor from a dodge 230 ?

2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

Did it run with the 201 distributor, before you changed the points and condenser?

Let's see if we can get some help.
    @gene-koning , suggestions to help this rodder?

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm more of a modern drive train guy, but my only guess would be the distributor from the industrial motor wouldn't have any kind of advance. Those were intended to run at lower and a more steady rpm. When used on a street car, I suspect the timing would not advance far enough for it to run well as the rpms changed over a wider rpm range.

I would be looking for a distributor out of a standard motor. www.vintagepowerwagons.com may be a good resource, they tend to repop things used by the Dodge Military trucks which would include most flathead stuff.

There are several more guys that could provide more info for you then I can. Gene

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Check out both www.robertsmotorparts.com & www.kanter.com . I used both as parts sources when rebuilding the 217 flathead in my 50 Plymouth Deluxe P20. Something else to check is see if plug wire is crossed. When I purchased my P20 it ran badly without power and missed a lot. Got it cheap because of that. got it home and unloaded from trailer and checked and uncrossed 2 plug wires and it ran great. Good luck, Jimmie