Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Mike, You do amazing work!

Mike-model, Moonglow and Deuces like this.
  2. rudestude

rudestude

Mike ....yes , as always, ......well you know what I think of your works of art? Because I am having a problem coming up with words of praise that I haven't used already about you and your abilities....maybe some slang?....no, something could go wrong in the translation.
    There's one I have been hearing alot from the younger crowd....Dude that's "Sick"....
    ??? Who's sick ...what's sick?
    Mike...I don't know....all I can say is your builds are just freaking groovy man.

3. rudestude

rudestude

Been going through the old magazines I recently acquired and have been checking out the model building sections.
    They really devoted alot of space for the coverage ....are they car magazines or model hobby magazines? I know they usually go together ....but..?
    Well I noticed they made a attempt to let it be known that this magazine is intended to cover both...notice the title name...but apparently this was short lived because I have only found a couple of issues so far this way. 20211110_121842~2.jpg

4. Lil32

Lil32

5. Lil32

Lil32

quick85 and Moonglow like this.
  7. Dennis D

Dennis D

I'm hip.

rudestude, quick85 and Moonglow like this.
  8. Moonglow

Moonglow

Or maybe "the most"...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    rudestude and quick85 like this.
  9. Moonglow

Moonglow

For me that kind of stuff was the most fun part of model building when I was a kid in the mid 60's. Slamming together random hoods, seats, engines, wheels etc. into a Frankenstein of a downhill racer really was, shall I say it..."the most".

It's when I discovered leftover sprue plastic was fine fodder for a custom chassis. I can still smell the Testors airplane glue.

My introduction to kit bashing at the ripe old age of 8.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    quick85 and Deuces like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

The new Testors glue smells just like the old stuff.... The formula has never changed...

Moonglow, rudestude and Lil32 like this.
  11. rudestude

rudestude

Yesterday I went to the cemetery where my grandfather is buried , I do every veterans day, and placed a flag on his grave.
    He served in WWII ....Army Infantry...Company B .
    I wish now I would of listened closer to his story's , he saw alot of action in several different campaigns, so he had lots to talk about...he was even Audie Murphys Sargent with Company B when he joined...in fact in the book by Audie Murphy "To Hell and Back" when he refers to "Beltzki" not sure on spelling , he's referring to my grandfather .
    My gramps received 4 purple Hearts.
    Ok back to models....all of the thinking on military got me digging through my military models...I think they are cool , but I just can't get into building them.
    So I was looking this one over, got it in the last bunch of models I picked up...smashed box , all parts still sealed in the bags, nothing g broken...cool fighter jet...maybe a Veterans day build?
    I don't know...will see. 20211112_011348~2.jpg 20211112_011250~2.jpg

12. rudestude

rudestude

Well I went for it...project fighter jet . Kind of .....
    This is what I got mocked up so far , yes I'm still working on the other topless nova ,
    I had this nova body with a broken top pillar...
    It just called out.....
    Now where to mount them "Sidewinders". 20211112_010646~2.jpg 16366575587703906411043694811103.jpg 20211112_010659~2.jpg 20211112_011032~2.jpg 20211112_010957~2.jpg

13. rudestude

rudestude

Kit bashing is the only way I have ever built models...even when I did buy new kits they never got built only using stock box parts.
    And now with all of the boxes and boxes of parts I have ,and Im not talking model kit boxes , I could just build from them alone....but no...not even my many , many unbuilt models are not safe from my parts robbing if I get an idea for a build....hell even some of my builds that I robbed parts from other kits to build have had there parts robbed before they get finished.
    Hi , my name is Terry (aka Rudestude) and I'm addicted to.......it was mentioned earlier about old Testers glue having more than one use...I know it was also used in Health Class movies I remember in school.
    Movies about drugs , included glue sniffing.
    Just don't do it...
    Now days it's mostly non toxic ,
    Testers has the blue tube ...non toxic , and the red tube...warning...danger...the good stuff.
    I use the red tube.
    When I was a kid , my brother and I had a small room upstairs where we built are models and when ever my parents heard us "having to much fun" they would yell up the stairway "time to take a break...you guys are getting giggly up there.

Mike-model, quick85, mchook and 3 others like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

15. Dennis D

Dennis D

Mike-model, Deuces and rudestude like this.
  16. rudestude

rudestude

quick....just spotted this online , Buick 16367439294701401242874580466659.jpg finned brake drum air cleaner, someone spent some time trimming on this one....I like it.

17. Moonglow

Moonglow

Yes, that's true Deuces. I still have a tube to this day.

Back when I was 8 though, it was really the only choice. I rarely use my Testors "airplane" glue these days. I wouldn't have the patience for it today. CA is my go to glue now.

Mike-model and Deuces like this.
  18. Moonglow

Moonglow

19. Moonglow

Moonglow

@rudestude, my dad served in WWII too.

He was a navigator/bombardier aboard a B-24 stationed in Norwich England. He was in the same bomb group as Jimmy Stewart. He said he was just the same in real life as he was in the movies. Somebody you'd want to have a beer with.

I've been building (on & off, mostly off lately) a 1/28th scale balsa model of my dad's B-24. I have a photo of him and his crew in front of it. Although it's balsa, I'm doing a Fiberglas skin, with aluminum (looking) panels.

I'll have to drag that project back out soon...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  20. s-l400.jpg

21. Moonglow

Moonglow

Here's the photo of my dad and his B-24. One of these days, I'll finish the model dad.

My dad is in the upper row, far right.

__019crew.jpg

22. Moonglow

Moonglow

Back to kit bashing from back in the day.

Although none of my kit bashed (Frankenstein) downhill racers survived the summer they were built, I do (sort of) remember what they looked like. Here's a 15 minute sketch I just did from memory, as best as I can remember from the mid 60's.

The idea was to take leftover parts and (airplane) glue to a plastic sprue chassis. So stock wheels and tires (I'm sure the Cragars ended up on the actual model), stock hood seat pan, stock exhaust manifold, etc., etc. Somehow I think at least one of mine had a blower too.

We figured out that plastic cocktail straws (highballs were not uncommon in our 60's neighborhood) made perfect axle tubes for our steel axles. A bit of Vaseline made them almost as fast as our hot wheels. Our hot wheels races / crashes are a whole different story...

Our neighbors' brand new asphalt driveway was smooth and steep. Perfect. We didn't have a pretty girl flag starter. I was about 8 and still thought girls were weird. Things have changed.

So we'd race them down this driveway. A hard push start was not just allowed, but outright expected. Crashes were usually were part of the action, so these models had a very short life.

Damn that was fun.

F_Stein_KitBash'65ish.JPG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  23. rudestude

rudestude

Very cool Moonglow.......the things we did when we were young , none of my models survived except for a couple from the early years...mostly due to the way my brother and I settled our battles...we each had one shelf in our bed room that went full
    length of the room loaded with our models ,if we had a beef over something we settled it by taking shots at each other's models with our BB guns until one of us give in.
    To date I still have 3 of mine and my brother has none....and our parents still live in the house with alot of bb gun wounds on one wall.

Mike-model, Sancho, mchook and 3 others like this.
  24. @Moriarity has an entire original Testors Roth custom paint display. Fully stocked with every color! He very graciously Sent me out the door with a whole box of jade green. Cool stuff indeed. 16368912393358170469020267041066.jpg 16368912797541657661171005106427.jpg

25. Deuces

Deuces

Man, oh man.. I could use 2 bottles of every color of Roth paint....:(

26. Dennis D

Dennis D

Some serious hero's in that picture.

Mike-model, Lil32, Moonglow and 3 others like this.
  27. Dennis D

Dennis D

Yep, now we know for sure they are weird:D

Mike-model, rudestude, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  28. abc123

abc123

Another term of the time was "sanitary" often meaning a very well built race car, usually a dragster, that had show car fit and finish, even in places that weren't visible. That term quickly devolved to "sano" and then "super-sano" with the same meaning.

29. rc57

rc57

Got a new batch of orphans from the hobby shop rummage last week, also found some instructions for the funny that I've been working on and made some good progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Tried to add some more pics of my International today & got this message...

Sunday models was deleted. Reason: large diameter modern wheels are off topic[/paste:font]

Does this mean I can't post anymore pics of this truck? Seems stupid considering I posted other pics of it already.

Mike-model and Moonglow like this.