Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a Pontiac OHC inline 6 fit in my 50 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sprbxr, Aug 19, 2006.

1. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

I can score a Pontiac OHC 6 engine and trans from a 69 Firebird for $50. I was thinking this could be an interesting engine for my 50 Chevy. I have no idea what the dimensions of this engine are though. Anyone know if there is room for this in my car?

Thanks
    Justin

2. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I was thinking it is basically a stovebolt block with a different head? Would be a cinch if so.

3. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Oilpan could be a problem.
    Parts for those OHC can get hard to find when you need them.

Way back when,a pal had a 4bl version in a Firebird.Smoked off a few SBC guys in school.Buy it !

4. singledownloop

singledownloop

they'rea cool looking engine i'd score it for the $50.00 even if you don't use it in the truck.It would look real good in a little modified without a hood............

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...yeah.. oil pan would be my only concern.. car or truck? truck would be easy. on a car some junk may be in the way with the goofy "center point steering"

6. Spedley

Spedley

Kruzer63 here on the HAMB has one of those in his Pontiac of the same era. Really cool car.

madgrinder likes this.
  7. madgrinder

madgrinder

Oil pan is easy enough to clearance...

it's just sheetmetal.

8. flamedolds

flamedolds

For sure check with Kruzer63 he really knows these motors and is a really nice guy as well I am sure he'll be happy to help you out with some advice.

9. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

It would be going in my 50 Fleetline. It has a 2 barrell carb and powerglide. I would like to put a manual trans on it.

Justin

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The oil pan should be no problem. It's a rear sump like a Chevy, and is very shallow in the front. I still see Sprint 4bbl intakes and exhaust manifolds at swap meets, and the exhaust manifold was a true split like a '53-'54 Corvette. I had a Sprint version in a '66 Tempest, and it took no sass from small V8s. It was the only stock six I ever saw that would wind to 6500 rpm (and I did it every time I got the chance!). A guy named Dave Ubl that was in Inliners International the last I knew had one in a '46 Chevy.

11. Armstrong

Armstrong

The OHC six is based on the late Chevy six. The late six is longer than the old dipper you have and that makes it tight at the radiator. With the cam drive on the front of the OHC it may even be longer ,making the fit even tighter.

12. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

I figured it would be a tight fit. I like oddball engines (no SBC for me). I really would like to stuff this engine in my car. My other option (b/c it is free) is a 66 olds V8 from a Cutlass. I can get the olds for free but I would rather put a straight 6 in it.

Justin

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Like Heathen I had one in a '67 Tempest Sprint (q-jet carb and dual exhaust). It had a 4spd and posi rear. That thing would run right with some pretty healthy small blocks. I never persued getting the most out of it (wasn't that interested) but it sure had a sweet sound through the exhaust (non stock) that was installed before I got the car.
    If you can pick one up I wouldn't hesitate, it would make a super swap in a eary 50's chevy. Don't be afraid of a little fabrication work, it's what hot rodders do.

Frank

14. ...friend of mine put one in a 50 Chev fastback, don't remember any details but he said it was a good combo...and different. His was an automatic.