Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patrice, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

I have a rolling frame from a 1964 buick 225 electra. Does the brakes are the good ones for the ford conversion? 20211030_145249.jpg 20211030_145230.jpg 20211030_145345.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Patrice

yes, that would be them……45 fin is more sought after than later 90 fin versions. However, their desirability and value depends on how badly worn the iron liners are. The inside diameter of the drum is key.

Ray

3. They are the ones. I also have a set of them I am going to adapt to my 40 Buick. As Ray said, measure the ID of the liners. They can be re-lined, but expensive.

4. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

Tanks for your fast replies. I will measure the ID next week, I have the correct tool at my work. All is complete and turn with a little resistance. Do you know the correct size and the maximum autorised diameter? And please excuse my bad american.... Patrice.

Tman likes this.

5. deuceman32

deuceman32

The GM service manual for those vehicles states a maximum diameter of 12.080 inches which would be 306.832mm.

kadillackid, mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  6. Andy

Andy

Check for corrosion between the liner and the aluminum. It would be a hard white line. I have had one drum that was 3/16 out of round

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you are putting the entire brake assembly on early Ford spindles, those have the wrong backing plates. However, all the other bits and pieces work. The '58 to '60 backing plates are the ones to use.

8. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

I will check the condition and the drum ovalization with a dial gauge with the backing plate removed for clearance.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just took a look at my car. While those are the correct brakes, you need the earlier '58 to '60 backing plates to work with early Ford spindles and even there, you need to make spacer plates.

10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I don't think they are right send them to me and I will dispose of them properly...... Hopefully the sarcasm translates to French?

Just kidding hopefully you can use these and show us the whole project. I love to see traditional American hot rodding get respect in other countries.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And please excuse my bad american.... Patrice.[/QUOTE]

I guess France must really be pissed off at England due to the fishing dispute! Never heard of the American language...LOL

12. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

Ha ha, I will check them first, and if they are worn, they are yours, you just have to pick them ;-)
    As for the project, my 32 has mechanical brakes, may be in the future, but still with traditional way.

13. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

I guess France must really be pissed off at England due to the fishing dispute! Never heard of the American language...LOL[/QUOTE]
    No, but prononciation, yes ;-)
    Seriously, I read the forum since many years, and I am always impressive by the high level of cars, tech and interesting discussions. I want to make sure that I have a good english (american) syntax, that is the minimum I have to do.

Tman and Just Gary like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

No, but prononciation, yes ;-)
    Seriously, I read the forum since many years, and I am always impressive by the high level of cars, tech and interesting discussions. I want to make sure that I have a good english (american) syntax, that is the minimum I have to do.[/QUOTE]

I’m always impressed with the level of English spoken/written by our non N. American members from France, Finland, Sweden, Germany, etc. My deep memory can sometimes give me a little Francais but my wife is extremely good. Thank God these messages are written because accents can really bugger up communication....

Guy Patterson likes this.
  15. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

I am Cajun an my son is taking French in school an I can't help him at all because my French is an old French that has been messed up with English an Spanish. Makes me feel a bit foolish at times

Tman and Andy like this.
  16. Andy

Andy

I grew up in Port Arthur Tx. I love the sound of Cajun speaking. It is music to my ears. I miss not hearing it in Kerrville. I worked on the docks and my Cajun friends could not understand French seamen.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. ._______________.
    then your name is GEE.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I guess France must really be pissed off at England due to the fishing dispute! Never heard of the American language...LOL[/QUOTE]

England and the United States….”two Countries divided by a common language”

Ray

19. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

Thoses drums are amazing in hand. Great parts and proud to have saved this frame from the scrapyard. I discover that the left wheel nuts are inverse, I cannot unscrew them until I tried on the reverse rotation ....Every day I learn. 20211108_203022.jpg General shape seems ok.
    Max ID is 306,3 mm, I have to remove more surface rust. 20211108_202937.jpg As son as I can, I will measure the ovalisation.

20. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

I disassembly the backing plate from the spindle to attach the dial gauge. Good news, the out of round is no more than 0.08mm (0,003 inches).
    20211123_160718.jpg