Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford FE water pump seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fabulous50's, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Anyone else have their PRW water pump leak? I have one on my FE and the shaft seal started weeping, I've emailed them to see if they would warrant it. Or if at least I could buy a seal kit and rebuild mine. 20210725_202341.jpg

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  2. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

No one has a PRW pump?

3. I’m sorry I can’t help you .
    You might consider changing your wording in the thread title .
    Add what type of engine it is for,,,,,maybe someone can help .

Tommy

Fabulous50's likes this.
  4. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I just built this 352 over the winter. The pump was used very little before the build. I may just remove it, press the cartridge out, and see what I can match up. A new one of these is almost $300 bucks!

5. inthweedz

inthweedz

Not a Ford pump, but my SBC pump started to leak out from the seal, way back in the 80s.
    Been in the trade since 1966, and overhauled many water pumps during those years, noticed all the seals looked alike, weather it was Ford or GM..
    Having a hydraulic press at my disposal, I took a gamble and pressed the pump apart, went to the local spa pool agent and matched up a seal out of a spa pool pump..
    Reassembled the pump and still using it..
    Been about 20 years now, still no leaks..

Fabulous50's and Beanscoot like this.
  6. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

If I was you I would look for an nos water pump on e-bay

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I don’t have any pumps available… but I try to use Ford pumps always… I have 2 Italian brothers that do my pumps… cheap..$50 each..
    they are so old school … they only have a land line phone.

Fabulous50's and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. So you don't have any faith in the aluminum repops? Those iron Ford pumps aren't light, the aluminum one must be worth at least 10 lbs.

Fabulous50's and Jeff Norwell like this.
  9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh gosh no Steve...... I just feel for a street car.. I am satisfied with factory Ford stuff.I may even be using a Aftermarket Aluminum unit in the foreseeable future.Like Fords Counterparts.. they built things big and heavy.... and they lasted.If I was building a race car.... it would be much different.
    Ford's intakes are a completely different story.

Fabulous50's and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A good friend of mine is building a pretty built 427 and is using a FlowKooler..... cast Iron and new...
    pretty reasonably priced.
    Getting one is the trick it seems these days.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 9.05.53 AM.png

Nominal and Fabulous50's like this.
  11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The Edelbrock aluminum pumps are pretty good- the cheaper PRW stuff not so much

12. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I actually bought this pump used, as my early 1959 iron pump had the long shaft which interfered with my electric fans.

I'll remove this pump and press out the bearings and seal. I'm sure I can find a replacement.

I actually just rebuilt the water pump on my OT John Deere tractor this summer. About 1/5 the cost of buying a new pump.....

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, you can probably find a better quality seal and make it a better pump

14. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Just now looking on the flea-bay.

Anyone find the "tough stuff" pumps to be any good? At $140 bucks I may just replace the one I have.... depends on how cheap I'm feeling.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@Fabulous50's ....I think the idea of rebuilding your pump the way you did your OT JD may be the best,.... I am very weary of eBay stuff.(jmho)

Fabulous50's likes this.
  16. Will_K

Will_K

Second the Edelbrock, I put one on and never had any trouble with it. I've worked my FE hard, dream cruise driving.

17. RmK57

RmK57

18. I'll revive this thread as I'm still in the parts-acquiring mode for my FE-powered '60 convertible. There are aluminum FE water pumps all over the 'net, with just about everyone selling at least one version or another. The castings all appear to be the same. The Edelbrock seems to get good reviews, but at $350+ each they seem to be overly proud of them. None of them appear to have any sort of warranty (if you can decipher just what warranty Edelbrock offers on theirs, let me know), although Jeg's offers an add-on warranty on the ones they sell for extra $$.

So.... any opinions out there? CVF, Jegs, Be cool, March, Summit all have offerings, all roughly in the same price range ($120-160). I thought about asking Jeff for his local guy's number, but shipping to/from Canada would probably pay for the Edelbrock.... :rolleyes:

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The only info I can gather is the Flow Cooler Pump... works exceptionally well on a pals 427.... (the one I mentioned post 11)
    I currently use an Edelbrock..... works very very well.. but I horse traded for it and it was new.
    I really like the idea of using a John Deere dealer ship to rebuild my factory pump.. but.... as Crazy Steve mentioned.. they are HEAVY....
    ..And my Italian connection has retired and closed the shop.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The bearings are the same type as used in centrifugal pumps, and are available through industrial suppliers, for those wishing to rebuild their own. Doggone I can't think of the name of any of them... Granger! There's one! You will need the dimensions, because they aren't listed for specific automotive applications.

21. FityFive

FityFive

I used a flow cooler pump on an FE and thought it was well worth the money.

22. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just started rebuilding water pumps inhouse, since reproductions are so iffy and don't have the same look as the originals. I see lots of FE water pump rebuild kits for less than $150, but not sure if they're the same as 1960 pumps, though I guess you could upgrade to a newer style.