Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gonzo

gonzo

This threads been quiet way too long. Maybe we can get some T Bucket before and afters.
    Here's mine.
    Before
    [​IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo

3. I am glad you were able to save some of that cool scroll work and pinstriping.
    Here is a before and after of my recently sold roadster... 724.jpeg 20210329_090622.jpg

poorboy, swade41, gnichols and 15 others like this.
  4. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

chryslerfan55 and gonzo like this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Great thread…back from the dead! How about this slick one from Kustomrama.
    1A094A93-8FA0-4575-B2C2-6A5123607A0C.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I miss Chip on here!

7. A Boner

A Boner

How to build a T-bucket
    &
    How to take a proper picture of it! B993481C-6560-4BEE-A9E3-AFD505F584A4.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  8. Tman likes this.
  9. gonzo

gonzo

Droooool

Outback, chryslerfan55 and A Boner like this.
  10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Here's a bump and one I just spotted for sale.
    Wonder if he'd trade for something in the collection?
    EDIT: reached out and he's had other offers, but he's keeping my number.
    [​IMG]
    IF it works, I might be able to post my own big guy in a little car pic, like Fatty Arbuckle in the Bantam.
    t1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Outback, dana barlow, brEad and 4 others like this.
  11. RodStRace

RodStRace

So, wondering if the power of the HAMB can help.
    Seller says it was built in 1976, it has a working passenger door, hairpins, rear coil overs, rear tie rod, typical cross front leaf bolted on top of the perch, tube front axle, no visible front shocks, upright steering (VW?), Chevy 12 bolt (?), a dash with a lip but not a deep tunnel, molded in 16" not 20" bed. Also the brass radiator and big headlights that are usually not part of a kit.
    Does not look like a Total Performance/Speedway or Florida Rod Shop (front tie), Bird (rear coils or leaf), CCR (Corvair steering), Dan Woods (front coils). I know it was mix and match, many years since and the seller has fixed it up and replaced some stuff. There were many places back then that did bodies and chassis, too. Just hoping that someone might recognize the unique 'bones' in the pictures. The door, steering, non center braced hairpins that almost meet, suspension at both ends and the dash.
    t3.jpg

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Many ( most) T's were built by individuals , some design elements were incorporated from many places , or a modification of such elements , after so many years go by , its impossible to tell , or like I tell people when they ask where mine came from , " $199.95from Sears Roebuck"

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yeah, I know that the completion rate of home built VS kits is probably 4:1 or higher, and as mentioned it was mix and match on stuff. I'm currently going through the Love For T Bucket thread (page 30 of 67)
    and haven't found one yet that has the hairpins and steering like this. Did see a Corvair box mounted under the floor when most were up on the top of the frame. The painted front axle and the chromed hairpins make me think it's got some store bought stuff, not all homebuilt.

The guy will probably find a cash buyer, but I'm still hoping... No garage space and would have to get a loan to buy.

dana barlow and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

[​IMG]

Snicklefritz65, May 2, 2022 !Report!
    [​IMG]
    2OLD2FAST
    ^^^^ pitman arm , draglink ^^^^^
    Glad we got past that part of 1965

Just ran across an old post of yours, Hope this is NOT what's hiding on the far side, but the rest of that Orange one is nice!

dana barlow and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. RodStRace

RodStRace

16. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I wonder what ever happened to Need Louvers? That guy was like a kindred spirit.

loudbang likes this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Mohr, each time he's mentioned, the answer is he keeps to facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/louvering
    I went over there yesterday and read some posts, but am not signed up for it.
    I'm sure he would call this example out for various things, mostly bolt-on stuff.
    His philosophy is clean, simple, early 60s style. I tend toward mid sixties (more chrome, bigger rears, more wheel selection). The radiator, wheels/tires, coil overs, headlights and intake all clash with that. They seem to be serviceable, but most would get swapped over time if I owned it.
    Looking close, the front axle spring mount seems to be kind of unique. It extends the axle forward and is not a part of the hairpin mount. For looks or a longer wheelbase? To move the tie rod forward to clear?
    Might be a MAS axle?
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mas-front-axles-any-good.138209/
    Untitled.jpg
    Found this on the tube...
    youaxle.jpg
    EDIT: texted the guy and got some pics of the steering. Corvair box mounted inside frame, steering arm under frame going up, drag link goes through bottom front of body. Not the best, but not scrub line bad. Needs a lot of cleaning and polishing. I think I'll be trying to get this one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Talked to Chip @need louvers? about fixing the steering and the car, also sent him pics. He's thinking CCR chassis with a variation on the steering. Didn't discuss the body. Hoping he takes a look here at the monster he created. Have to secure money and talk to the seller.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Talked to seller. Minor (major?) title issues = not in his name, old MI title when he's in NV. It's CCR and seller added door. Front axle and body details match, just the steering is not typical Corvair in front of firewall, but under floor and vertical. Also, current chassis have a front shock mount this does not have from 75.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  19. RodStRace

RodStRace

Well, it appears that the seller is at best trying to sell something without any paperwork, at worst a thief. Reached out locally yesterday to set up getting funds together (cash only!) and check on insurance. Then asked him for pictures of the interior and the title. No reply. So what is listed as clear title, then tells me he has one and the number and title were inspected (required in NV for new-to-state cars) to what now seems like no title or paperwork at all.
    It appeared in the ad pics to be really good bones that could be tweaked into a righteous little rod. Price was suspiciously low, but in my reach.
    Another case of if it's too good to be true, it is...:oops:
    Sorry to get all of you going on what turns out to be a scam.

Trivia: Watch old episodes of CSI: Vegas and count how many times Henderson is mentioned in a negative way.o_O

deadbeat and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Call his local cops ask them to go check scam or stolen car. Sure scare him anyway

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, RSR;
    That front axle/spring-hanger setup is from CCR. I think they're the only ones to do that long extended style. I do believe it's in their plans. Nothing wrong w/it, but I never liked that look or execution.
    Marcus...

deadbeat likes this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

nrg, thanks, you are right. Chip said so, and the seller also said CCR, although I can't trust his opinion of the color of the sky now.

I also would prefer to have the axle tighter to the front crossmember and not so much leverage where the support (spring) is connected inches behind the axle. There are big and small differences in all the different kits that make choosing your favorite an exercise.
    They offer a 4 link, which would be a better choice for me, but still want an I beam axle since a tube one doesn't twist as well. Choices...

deadbeat likes this.
  23. patman

patman

Any further contact with the seller, or have they continued radio silence (or have you given up on the deal) ?

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

Full radio silence since asking for the pics.
    I am unwilling to spend that much on a no paperwork, possible legally someone else's (stolen) car that could be confiscated when I try to build paperwork. I also am unwilling to deal with someone who's story changes substantially over 2 days when I'm the one taking the risk. He also wanted only cash, no trail (I offered secure wire transfer with both parties present). Too many red flags.
    Ad is still up with this still in it.
    paint color: red
    size: sub-compact
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic
    type: convertible

deadbeat, patman and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Do you have a problem with the pitman arm / drag!ink ?

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Theres no discernable leverage difference whether the front axle is close to the frame or not .Why do you need the axle to twist when running a 4-link ? 4-links are 80's street rod stuff. IMO

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

There’s two affordable T Buckets on Craigslist today, one in Rocklin,Ca and the other in the SF Bay Area (Fremont/Newark) $12,4 and $8500 both look good.
    Just trying to help….

RodStRace likes this.
  28. Actually, they were putting 4-links on rods in the late '50s, so...

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm sure someone was however I'll bet the majority of hotrods !(or specifically tbuckets) used split wishbones /hairpins / radius rods until the late 70's ,so...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  30. Norm used a 4 bar.