Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Ford Spindles-32-33-34 Bearings/Seals/Castle Nut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FuelRoadster, Oct 29, 2021.

1. I've looked and looked here, and can't pin down a definitive answer.
    Do 32-33-34 Ford spindles take the same inner and out wheel bearings, grease seals, washer and castle nut?
    I have some MQQN Dragster hubs for early Ford--the hubs had a Timken inner bearing number of 11518.
    I dont have the outer bearings, but the outer race is still pressed in.
    Can anyone help on locating a source for bearings, seals, washers and castle nut? I have a pretty reputable bearing house here, but soon as you mention what they're for, the pretty much dont want to help.
    Thanks you all for your time and help, and I'm having new hubs made 20211006_200521.jpg 20211006_200542.jpg WALGREENS 2 (4).jpg

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I did my 32 Ford pickup using 32/34 spindles I got my bearings from Boling Brothers to go along with their brakes. They did include a small bearing spacer so everything would work. I would think early Ford bearings would work??????????

3. 1932 the bearings
    inner p/n 15118 1.1895" bore with a p/n 15250X cup 2.5" OD
    outer p/n 09074 .75" bore with a p/n 09196 cup 1.938" OD

Timken does not have part numbers for 1933 and 1934. I think this means there was no purchase contract with Timken in those years. Note: apparently Buick bought bearings from Timken those years.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Thanks for you guys' help...so far so good. Would you happen to know the OD on the spindle that the seal rides on, and the ID and OD of the inner grease seals?
    Thanks again--

5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

32-34 spindles do not use a seal , they have a " slinger " that presses on the shoulder behind the inner bearing .

stillrunners likes this.
  6. If you are using later spindles, ( 1935-1948 ) the seal diameter on the spindle is 1.562". Try McMaster-Carr for the castle nut, or you can use a Nylock nut, or Esna nut.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The steering arm appears to be from a cross steer.

8. The spindle journal diameter should be really close to the bearing bores.

9. If you look at the first pictures of the old Moon hub, they have a lip seal already in them. My spindles dont have that pressed-on ring, so is it possible to use a regular lip seal if I give the bearing house the dimensions?

10. I would say yes

11. give me the housing bore and journal diameter, odds are really good I can give you a number

12. There is a .002" to .0025" interference fit on the seal OD by the way.

13. Thanks krylon32, ledsled and nickthebandit for your time and help. I've got this mess figured out. You guys were of great help, and spot on with everything. I will try to remember to follow up and post pictures after the new hubs are machined, wheels laced, and tires mounted.
    Troy Cagle NS SanGabe.jpg

leadsled likes this.