Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone have any pics from Bee Line Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BiggMike, Nov 17, 2008.

1. image.jpeg Pretty sure this was taken in the pits at Beeline, would have been about 1961 or 1962. That's my Dad's '60 Starliner.

@kiwijeff - Thanks for posting the pics of the sign. Glad you got yours hung up. I still haven't gotten mine hung up yet!

Gary Reynolds, els and kiwijeff like this.
  2. els

els

I grew up in mesa az. also. I saw these comments about BEELINE DRAGWAY. My father did race at BEELINE in the 6Os. he brought us to AZ. from Colorado to see him race superstock and fuel. He liked the weather so much he moved family to Az. I did race at BEELINE until closing track in early part of 8Os. High school drags. I did find the BEELINE DRAGWAY DR PEPPER sign that Butch Tucker had. My brother gave it to Butch to pinstripe his 1980 chevy truck. I talk to butch daily. He is still friends with family. I live in small town in AZ now. Butch did give me the sign. (for a fee) I do now own the only known sign of BEELINE DRAGWAY history. I will post photos of sign soon. I wanted to try and talk to gentleman MISTOO who posted about getting sign from the weeds at BEELINE DRAGWAY. MISTOO should know me and brother. My brother and I did get it sign from weeds. I will post more about sign and where the sign will be in future.

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. bignateokc

bignateokc

In the lost drag strips book..that's my dad..Mike Wagoner.in the rear engine dragster at bee line 74.I was lucky enough to show him before he passed

kiwijeff, els and John Bergener like this.
  4. els

els

GREAT pic of your fathers dragster. You must be proud. If wasn't for fathers we could not have the history we have today. I hope other gearheads can respect the hard work they did to get us new guys into drag racing and old hot rodding. I am trying to get more history of the drag strip that got my father and my brothers into this great sport. I would like to see more guys get involved in getting the history of home drag race tracks on line and talk about special days in there past. We are getting older and living the past is a blast. the future is not as cool as past.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I was there in 65. Raced my 56 Chevy. Towed all the way from east of Houston I was 18!

els likes this.
  6. els

els

Driving from Houston to phoenix meant the drag race passion was there. Something that will never leave us. Please show pics of 56 chevy.

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That Beeline sign is awesome! Any idea where it was placed originally, tower, street?

els and need louvers ? like this.
  8. els

els

9. els

els

I do remember the sign in the big tower in the lower floor at the concession stand. it was framed and lighted. That was in 1978. Someone had told me it was a double sign. I still thing it is a rumor. If the sign was in the Arizona heat, it would have been faded out. The colors and paint of BEELINE DRAGWAY are stunning. I will have the sign at the Bakersfield drag reunion and at the BEELINE DRAGWAY reunion in phoenix. DEC 17th. I cant wait to let everybody see it. HOPE YOUR THERE

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Might have been a replacement for one of these Pepsi signs after a sponsorship change. Left one could have been double sided.

GettyImages_159667743.jpg

kiwijeff and els like this.
  11. els

els

Good call. The DR PEPPER sign is about the size of left PEPSI sign, 5ftx 5ft. I do remember the tower was painted when the sign was there. SAQUARO AUTOMOTIVE was painted on the upper part of tower. NICE PIC, I haven't see that photo before. What a great place to be.

12. els

els

New update on the BEELINE DRAGWAY SIGN. I know, its an old thread. BUT!, The sign was on the right side finish line. The left side was COCA-COLA BELLINE DRAGWAY. I saw an old movie filmed at BEELINE DRAGWAY. The movie was "LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSY. Robert Redford, and Lauren Hutton. She is running down the quarter mile track. Robert Redford is at the motorcycle dirt track BEELINE had in the 70s, The COCA-COLA sign was is in the left lane as Lauren Hutton running.

13. Eagle Tester

Eagle Tester

Attached Files:

tmwracing likes this.
  14. gassergirl77

gassergirl77

Hey guys, I just picked up this old Beeline car I was hoping someone might have some info on her. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I saw it on cl, neat to see someone got it, and found the HAMB as well!

I'd love to see more pics of it.

But I grew up in Tucson, and don't know anything about the car, sorry

16. gassergirl77

gassergirl77

I’m super excited to get t! I love the nostalgia of it and I would love to know the history. I’ll have to get more pics to post. I’m leaving it just as it is, maybe just get her up to specs to take to the track.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Digging up an aging thread here but what year did the AHRA leave Bee Line? And did the track continue to operate after they vacated?

18. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I"m thinking the last photo of the orange Mustang is at Fremont Drag strip, California.

19. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Here's a couple...Joe Rundle's '55 Chevy. He owned Rundle Speed shop in Tempe, which moved to Mesa.
    Johnny Loper's cool anglia, and my brother's high school buddy, Larry Christopherson with the Arizona Wildcat.
    The picture of the Wildcat was not taken at Beeline, but the Wildcat did run at Beeline. I'm an
    AZ native, born in '48 so I spent alot of time at Beeline and street racing. Still wrenching on cars....
    rundle jpeg.jpg loper jpeg.jpg wildcat.jpg
    beeline 15.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021