Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Louvred Trunk-lids...Why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a question that may be open to debate which is OK as long as it’s civil.

So let’s dive in... what is the point of punching louvers in the trunk lid? Hoods I get for cooling purposes but trunk lids? I understand in a race car as it would allow air to escape the cabin but non race cars? All I see is a great way for water to enter and perhaps stay there...

So let’s hear the comments guys and perhaps you can change my point of view!

Dave Mc, loudbang and '28phonebooth like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A fad. Anything racy on a street car makes it look cool, right? As you know, the real reason they are on the trunk lid is to let high pressure air out of the car body. On non race cars, cars with full metal firewalls between the cabin and trunk, it is far less effective. Some vintage rally cars I've seen also had rear facing scoops or vents on the back of their roofs to help release air out / work as a ventilation system for the cabin.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Show car or fair weather drivers only I guess but no using the hose for washing.

dana barlow and nunattax like this.
  4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Back when guys used to smuggle in their friends to the Drive-In Movies, it gave them breathing air.

Clik, Roger Loupias, SS327 and 11 others like this.

5. To emulate the look of a salt/dry lake race car.

6. Cuz it's traditional!!!

Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

thats a a bit like "chopped top's.....why " isnt it?

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I know they are trying to emulate race cars and the high pressure air release and all that (didn’t think about the smuggling part LOL) but to my eye they look kind of stupid on a street car. But to each their own I guess... plus it’s a lot of work to get them right and it would be damn near impossible to go back.

I guess it’s like guys painting trucks camp so they can have a life size GI Joe toy.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  9. Well, you answered your own question.

clem likes this.
  10. If for no other reason than, It's cool!:D......Mr. 800 by @scrap metal 48.....Love it.........Don. 2452001-68ef33b5cc86876e1f73060155cc28db.jpg 2452003-4e308fecd7835e3526e4adc7984615d5.jpg

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Speed holes are the rogue. Frames, axles, hoods, tops and trunks. Less weight and more ventilation and wind resistance.
    I like em tastefully done.

13. I can see the trunk louvers if you had a really big cheese wheel and needed grated cheese in a really big salad, or for extra topping on a really big pizza.....

V8-m, Roger Loupias, SS327 and 8 others like this.
  14. Why Not... Love Louvers... Every one likes different things...

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They serve no real purpose on a street car, but they look cool.

33almostdonerear.jpg
    -Abone.

swade41, Just Gary, Andamo and 17 others like this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I like em on everything except roof inserts. That one makes me scratch my head.

Roger Loupias likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

Makes as much sense as punching louvers in the roof.:D

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

though the tan lines make it obvious who’s driving it lol

loudbang, Roothawg and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because it looks cool and aggressive. It is a part of the car that would otherwise not even be noticed. Punch a cool pattern of louvers in a trunk lid and accent them with a contrasting color and they just look perfect to me. If you have a louvered hood it keeps with the same theme and balances out the car. If you are running a battery in the trunk then all the more reason for a louvered lid.

21. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Kind of like the bobber trucks - because it pisses off some people.

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. chucka

chucka

Louvers don't always have to "make sense", they just look cool. I was in the office furnishings business for years and one time a rodder friend who ran a speed shop called me, wanted to buy a big lateral file, a rugged one. Got him a brand new top quality 5 drawer 42 inch wide one. He promptly pulled all 5 drawer fronts off and had 'em punched full of louvers. Made zero sense but looked absolutely great! Can't find fault with that, and they're not even on a car.

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I made my trunk lid out of fiberglass so I don't think I will louver it any time soon.

V8-m and Blue One like this.
  24. It makes it easier to find your car in the mall parking lot. :cool:

*Good'a reason as any of the others posted.

clem likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ones that work are sealed on the inside. They are used to break up the air leaving the car over the top of a body usually a roadster. At a dry lake like El Mirage the dust sucks in which is not a good idea.

26. If we cared so much about practicality and functionality, we wouldn't be into Hot Rods. "Cuz I can" is an acceptable reason for any Hot Rod builder.

Just Gary, clem, oldsman41 and 8 others like this.
  27. Dennis D

Dennis D

Because they are so much fun to sand and buff around:D

28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Gives the mud daubers a nice sheltered place to build nests down in these parts.

Granted, it does give a "this car goes fast enough to need something like this" feeling though. Or to make you think it's got an aircooled motor in the back.

I like the effect

Fortunateson likes this.
  29. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

My dirt track 32 had the bottom 6" trimmed off the deck lid as opposed to removing the tail pan I would suppose.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well a lot of interesting comments and a few funny ones as well. I’m just not into the aggressive thing. I prefer smooth lines as per the original designer(s) idea. Maybe I’ll louver my bathtub for looks...LOL

dumprat and Blue One like this.