Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical French flathead accesories

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Spirescu Andrei, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Spirescu Andrei

Spirescu Andrei

Hello,

I have a french flathead and I am looking for accesories.
    Starter, carburetor,distributor.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. sdluck

sdluck

We need more information.

warhorseracing likes this.
  3. I was the salesman for the French flatheads when they arrived from France to Galveston,Texas to College Station,Texas around 1999 and 2000.They were only on site for a fairly short time then were sold to the owner of Halibrand in Kansas and his partner in Detroit area Motor City Flatheads. I would have bought more engines had I known what fit from Henry and what did not. After all was said and done I was “gifted” my own for helping the owner,and then,and only then did I put my Edelbrock heads and intake and put a Merc crank into the French block. The only real differences were the exhaust studs were METRIC,it had an extra “port” on the back of the block for a governor or a hour meter to keep track of time Motor was running. On a Henry flat, the exhaust on each end of the block dead ended in the block and was forced to feel its way for an inch or so until it exited the block whereas the French improved the “channel” carrying the exhaust was made straighter and flow was improved. Also the French blocks were “choked” down in the valve area presumably to counteract cracks in the valve seat area. There was approx 250 long blocks that were dyno tested and ready to work—-even had oil in them and approx 400 bare blocks in crates. You can add any accessories you want to because virtually all bolt on pieces would interchange as if they were Henry’s own albeit they were different and about 30 lbs heavier because of better metal. There were more differences,but those I mentioned were the main ones.Flatheads Forever!!! John in s.Texas. 487B2D09-BA7C-4B75-9076-C22889D47568.jpeg