Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheap 220v plasma required

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, Oct 24, 2021.

1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Any of you guys have a cheap 220v plasma NON contact plasma cutter? My 20a lincoln is junk.

2. Moedog07

Moedog07

Look into the Cut50 (or equivalent communist make) on Amazon or Ebay. I have had good success for its $150 cost.

fauj likes this.
  3. The only thing I would add to what @Moedog07 said, is just be sure that it either has easy to acquire consumables, or better yet uses common consumables from other 'name brand' models.

Moedog07 likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Lloyd's paint & glass and fauj like this.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

The cut 50 is quite good for the bucks. Get drag tips if you have a problem with keeping your hand steady or the little rollers are great too.

fauj likes this.
  6. Yes sir, I'm very happy for the $239 or something like that I spent. But it's not pilot arc. And the cut 40 consumables are WAY cheaper from Amazon.

fauj and Budget36 like this.
  7. dmar836

dmar836

Seems all you hear about these is failures after a month of light use or if stored for a year or so between uses.
    It's very easy to step up and up while shopping (for good reasons) and then be at $1200-1500 pretty quick.
    Are the Cut 50s dual voltage?
    D

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah cut 50 is dual voltage bought 1 for my son a few years ago he says it still works fine.he doesn’t use it everyday or anything. Cant expect a lot from a 150 buck machine but I was quite surprised by it.

dmar836 likes this.
  9. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

There are so many "cut 50's" on the market. $150-$279. Whats the best

10. I have the cut40, it's up to 20amp on 120v, and on up to 40amp on 240v. I don't use it everyday, but it's used on a regular basis and it makes my job easier.

indyjps and fauj like this.
  11. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Do you guys prefer the non touch type. I am cutting rusty so i believe i need that feature. Not sure how that would work without contact. Price is higher.

12. ERguitar

ERguitar

I have the zeny cut 50 with a 240v plug on it.
    Had it for 3 years now with no issues. Granted I probably only use it once a month or so and store it away in a case when not in use. I haven't had an issue getting consumables off of Amazon and I will say that the consumables it came with didn't last long at all so stock up at the same time you buy it.
    I can cut 1/4 inch in multiple passes, anything less cuts fine. It reminds me of stick welding, once you get the hang of getting it started and then not dragging the tip it works fine and the tips last ok.
    If you've never been able to figure out how to stick weld you may want to look at a no contact variety of cutter.

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Most if not all the cheaper ones are drag type but you can get use to them if you don’t want to spend a grand on something

14. indyjps

indyjps

I'm all for it, I work really slow. A cheap plasma would last me a long time, as long as it fires up each time.

Maybe I'd work faster :D

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

The 2 biggest problems with the cheat plasma cutters (and the cheap mig welders) is:
    1) The very short duty cycle. Most have a 30% or less (I saw one the other day rated at 10%) duty cycle at max output. That means if you use it for 3 minutes of cutting (you can do a lot of cutting in 3 minutes), it needs to sit and cool off for 7 minutes before you can cut for another 3 minutes. The problem is, you can exceed the duty cycle when the machine is new without even realizing it, but if you exceed the duty cycle often, it will shortly (usually less then a year) start reduce the cutting effect until it won't work at all. Staying within the duty cycle can result in many years of use. The 1st one I had (60% duty cycle) lasted almost 10 years, but that wait time is a killer. The more expensive machines usually have longer duty cycles. My Hypotherm Plasma cutter and my Miller 251 welder both have 100% duty cycles.

2) Its better now then it used to be, but the consumables will have a huge impact on how much, and for how long your machine will be useable. Plasma cutter tips generally are only good for about 45 minutes of cutting time before the end hole gets too large and the cut quality goes away. If the tips are expensive, or hard to get, you can see the problem. Gene

indyjps likes this.