Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bobber Trucks. Are They HAMB Rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Oct 9, 2021.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What was the question?

2. PM-ed

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are no questions, only lots of answers.

Stan Back and alanp561 like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, how long is a fad in your eyes?

I have seen people building tiki themed vehicle for over 40-years. Ones with surfboards just as long. My Dad had car magazines showing them going back into the 1960's.

I have been seeing skulls on cars at shows for about 25-years, way longer on motorcycles. Pin-up art has been around since at least WWII, and I have seen it on cars and bikes since the 1970's at shows, and in the magazines. It has probably been happening longer, but I started as soon as the 1970's did.

I get it, YOU don't like it. That's ok, you don't need to. As for these things being a fad? The all seem to have stood the test of time.

Personally, I have never seen a fad last for 25+ years. If it lasts that long it is culture, and if it is regularly repeated, it is tradition. That is how those dynamics work. Again, there is no need for you to like it.

Outback, Stan Back, RAK and 6 others like this.
  5. Jones St.

Jones St.

6. Keyboard cowboys! Funny shit...

7. Amen...

'28phonebooth likes this.
  8. Well crap. For a while we had a decent discussion. Well, except for a few of my sleep deprived ramblings.
    Seen some nice old pics, cool first hand stories then crap hits the fans.
    I was hoping more old vintage truck pics would show up. Shame on me

D0448815-3420-4448-8E62-6B3E767A7C1C.jpeg

Outback, Shalamo, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

So, I was looking at the pics from the site Mark Yak provided and I saw a great looking bobber with huge rear tires . It was in hot rod black/primer and was shot 3/4 view from the rear.

So technically.............would it be a "pro-street" bobber ?:confused:

Couldn't post the picture cause it has off topic rims holding the tires in place.

10. Maybe I should have said "trends" ?
    My comments were actually directed towards the video and the singer , rather than the car itself.
    He's bragging about the Rockabilly girls on the door..He didn't say pin up art. Nobody talked about Rockabilly in the 70's. (Robert Gordon was the only one I can think of) Trust me..I was there. It had it's rebirth with The Stray Cats in the early 80's. Not necessary to point it out. It strikes me as "Look at me. I've got all the popular, cool stuff..Please let me into the club".
    The surfboard thing ...I've seen 60's Chevs out in South Dakota with the board on the roof. Just plain silly, again IMO
    I know lots of folks here like that stuff. They probably have this video on their playlists too.
    Opinions allowed here, folks...
    Carry on.. MY

X38 likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What can I say. Chicks dig my ride.

R.I.P. Ned. You were my best.
    1002383_606518959381056_2096205780_n.jpg

PoTaToTrUcK and Jones St. like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

He did leave off the obligatory B/G designation, one box that was not checked.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    X38, Mark Yac, alanp561 and 1 other person like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Completely OT but remember the "trend" when you couldn't turn around and not see a Clay Smith Cams (or Thrush) woodpecker decal on a street rod lower cowl.

14. Yup

15. oldsman41

oldsman41

I know opinions are like buttholes everyone’s got one. So here’s mine they may not be hamb friendly by hamb standards but bobbers have been around forever and say what you want but rat rods are nothing new either

Jones St. and gimpyshotrods like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I am coming up in the 20-year mark of setting up my first vehicle to lay frame on bags. Demand has only increased over the period. While not welcome here, the "trend" has not gone away.

I still see newly built bed-dancing mini-trucks out in The Mission on cruise nights, too. That "trend" did not die, either.

Hydraulics are alive and well.

"Bobber trucks" are just hot rods. They have always been there, and always will be, until hot rodding ends.

Everyone is within their rights to ignore them, but they will not cease to be a part of history.

17. There are always exceptions but the big difference is in the 60's people would aspire to build cars like they saw in magazines...all shiny , with lacquer paint on them.They did what they could , on the budget they had. Many of them were a work in progress. Again, I was there.
    The Moonglow was chopped and built, painted in Duane's driveway. .. I started to learn bodywork when I was 14. I primered my first car with Mom's vacuum cleaner in the back yard
    Now, along comes the style, trend, fad, ...call it what you will, r.r.'s and patina rods, which are related, but separated at birth. Young guys don't have to learn paint and body to be "in"... They could make a lot of money if they became good at it..
    Yes , that stuff did bring some new blood in to the sub- culture,.Also some older guys came back, but I don't think it's a good thing in the long run.
    No wonder people on the outside can't tell the difference between a hot rod and a r. rod.
    IMO..I'm sure we'll get others.

X38 likes this.
  18. oldsman41

oldsman41

The hobby will go where the kids take it, we are relics. We can bitch and complain and push and pull but when we are gone things will go their way. You said it “on the budget they had”. No difference now.

mountainman2 and Jones St. like this.
  19. Had to be a Kirby !

20. I have to agree with this.. On my Truck build (bobbed) as it may be called fender less and bed cut down to proper proportions..

It is being built as 60's style build, But everyone that has come over to see it calls it a damned Rodent Ride, And I have to explain that it isnt.. But a HOT ROD !

21. I don't disagree with your statement. We ARE on the HAMB though. A bunch of old farts and some young guys who get it, ( and some that don't.) But you've got to expect push back here.

Chicster and twenty8 like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We used and Electrolux with the glass jar.

Mark Yac likes this.
  23. oldsman41

oldsman41

Oh yeah we are hard headed mothers and in my mind that is what makes hot rod ding so great.

24. Nope bobbers. Tell you a funny story about that, well in private we are trying to maintain a family friendly environment.
    devilish.png

Blues4U likes this.
  25. Brent I think that what most people consider to be a "Bobber" truck is round cabs and newer sans fenders and front sheet metal. There are a lot of new to our world people posting that do not know or understand the term.

The common belief is that traditional fenderless pickups should be from the older square body era. Those running fenderless, with our without a shortened bed or with or with out a hood are just called a hot rod.

26. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

We have to remember the people using the RR term are not educated on our stuff. They think they are using the hip slang. Doesn't doo any good to get pissed about it. Better to try to explain that RR (and kit car) are derogatory terms to us, and a better term would be...cool.

alanp561, Blues4U, ClarkH and 2 others like this.
  27. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's how I understood it, too. Because, well, that's how it worked itself out over the years. But this thread doesn't correlate... for the same reasons you mention.

porknbeaner likes this.
  28. clem

clem

I don’t want to comment on this thread, - I just want to publicly thank @anthony myrick for changing his avatar. The last one was troubling……..

anthony myrick likes this.
  29. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Perhaps something we ALL CAN AGREE ON??……‍♂️….I doubt it

30. 1pickup

1pickup

HA! Just saw this. My shirts have oil stripes up the back from the chain throwing it!

Max Gearhead likes this.