Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock 3x2 manifold

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JOEJOE, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JOEJOE

JOEJOE
    from SAN JOSE

Does anyone know if Edelbrock has changed the design of their Chevy 3x2 intake manifolds designed for Rochester carbs in the past 50 years? I know what a strange question. I’m attempting to duplicate a car that was built 50 years ago that used the Edelbrock manifold. I looked on the Edelbrock website and other websites but really can’t tell if they did make any changes.
    Thank you,
    JG

2. Fordors

Fordors

If my memory is right the first Edelbrock tri-power manifold was numbered C-362, later it was changed to C-357. The logo script has always remained the same, but early manifolds had them in a different location. Runner design was revised with the layout changing, and early manifolds had lower carb heights with the ports entering the plenum at a lower point too.
    There must be good close up photos of the early manifold out there somewhere.

Roger Loupias and Deuces like this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

From memory...the first one was a C355...smallish ports...then came the C357 which should fit most later, larger port heads. The C362 was for three large base carbs..

To answer your question...i think the new ones might have a Made In the USA emblem..an original wouldn't have that. There are plenty of real, used ones. Once you determine the one you need...start hunting. Im thinking it's probably a C357...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    continentaljohn, Deuces and Saxman like this.
  4. Yup, Black Panther is right. C355 for the early SBCs with small intake ports on the heads. C357 is probably what you want.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.

5. JOEJOE

JOEJOE
    from SAN JOSE

—- is C355 or C357 visible anywhere on the manifolds? Oh yeah the one I’m trying to duplicate was purchased in ‘59 or ‘60.

Thanks,
    JG

Deuces likes this.
  6. Yes, it should be cast into the manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

JG...id assume it was a C357 if it was bought in that time period....and they all might have the little b underneath the part number....its cast into the heat riser area part of the intake.. 20180210_105854.png

Deuces likes this.
  8. Here's the old school C362, used the large Rochester carbs and it is a lower profile.
    Edelbrock C362 a.jpg Edelbrock C362 b.jpg

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I believe the C362 was marketed to be able to fit under the hood of a 1962 Corvette...also since the 327 came out in 1962. They set it up with the large base carbs for more flow since the 327 was the biggest small block to that point.

10. oj

oj

Heres the C355, small ports and oil fill neck 001.JPG

11. hepme

hepme

I use this on my setup-see avatar. I heard it was designed for corvettes since they had such a low hood clearance. Actually a little low for a rod, a 1/2" spacer on each base does the trick.