Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Deluxe Coupe - The beginning!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Skillman, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Doug Skillman

Doug Skillman

Greetings everyone. A couple weeks ago I made the drive from home in NC to central CO to pick up a 38 deluxe coupe. I got a bunch of extra parts in the deal, and will be selling some to further fund this project :) I am also looking for recommendations for upgrading the suspension / steering to make this safe for my wife to drive and stop. I bought this car from the widow of a cousin of mine. At one time he had five 1938 cars. As a result, I got a bunch of extra parts as she is trying to sell off all of his collection (this was the last 38). I don't know a lot about these cars yet, but am learning. Did the 38 deluxe coupe have a back seat? I did end up with the wooden frame and springs for a back seat, I'm just not sure that it goes with this car. Didn't it just have the large tray under the rear window? Anyways, as my build progresses, I will post pics here AND ask many questions, drawing on the vast amount of knowledge available here. upload_2021-10-21_21-28-1.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-21_21-28-25.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-21_21-28-48.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-21_21-29-10.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-21_21-29-29.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    40FORDPU, guthriesmith, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  2. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Congrats looks like a nice 38 that’s a great way to get a project. No surprises hiding under the paint
    I did a 39 standard a few years back it didn’t have a back seat just the shelf under the rear windows.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Doug Skillman

Doug Skillman

Thanks, do you happen to know what year / model did have that back seat? I can get a pic of the frame tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about posting a side view of the car? The back seat version has longer quarter windows.

loudbang likes this.
  5. redo32

redo32

The Club Coupe had a back seat, longer roof line and shorter trunk. Don't mention the front suspension you want to use or post pictures of it. All else is good and we want to hear about it. @weedetr is a member on here and has a complete system of suspension for these cars.
    Club coupe:
    [​IMG]

6. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

7. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

This is the 39 standard the day I hauled it 617A7C9A-DF02-4B7D-A021-6EB54D453551.jpeg home it was originally a 60 hp V8. But the motor had been replaced with a 85 hp at some point in time.

kidcampbell71 and olscrounger like this.
  8. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I hope you reconsider looking forward to the build.
    It’s easy to work around the front end part of your build. I think it was just a upfront warning not to disrespect your ideas.
    But to be honest to me there’s nothing like a straight axel on a hot rod.

kidcampbell71, olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

“Upgraded” suspension is subjective.

kidcampbell71, olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on "new" project

Stogy likes this.
  11. Early Ford straight axles ride really well when all the associated components are fresh and in spec, a nice static suspension drop all around is all you need and is way easier.

12. Doug Skillman

Doug Skillman

I would love to hear ideas / sources to keep the straight axle, maybe drop a couple inches and upgrade the brakes. I just want to be sure my wife can drive the car safely/comfortably. Thanks!

guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  13. Hi @Doug Skillman

Nice project...feel free to check my '38 club cabriolet build thread below...it has a dropped front axle. Good luck with your build. Lots of good advice here...don't take offence, take advantage of the knowledge others are willing to share.

And a small piece of advice...you might want to edit your first post on the thread and remove the propose front suspension "upgrade". That might be enough that the moderators (hard working and under appreciated lot they are) will remove your thread.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. A dropped axle would be an upgrade to the suspension and bolts in. They also make disk brake kits for those, although drums stop them pretty good too considering their weight. Might “upgrade” to 39 hydraulic brakes and call it good. Shouldn’t be any issue for your wife to drive then. You can get an axle at www.droppedaxles.com. Sid is also a HAMBer and great guy. He can lead you in the right direction on brakes as well. 405-416-3080

Looks like the car came out of Oklahoma according to the tag?

15. redo32

redo32

One of the sweetest rods I had the opportunity drive was a '40 Ford with a dropped axle, disc brakes, split wishbones and a Saginaw power steering box.

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Just add a dropped axle to the front, you’ll need to split the wishbone for the engine and trans you’re considering. A lot of brake kits for the spindles you already have, either drum or disc brakes. Chassis Engineering, Weedetr have bolt in kits for what you want to do for a later rear axle. Weedetr is on this site. The original rear, trans all have value to others here.

17. finn

finn

Pretty sure Chassis Engineering folded their tent. Supposedly Heidts picked up the pieces, but they’re best known for the things we’re not supposed to discuss here.

ted kovacs likes this.
  18. RJP made some good points, especially in regards to 'traditional' costs and performance vs more modern components (that should start a shit-show). Since you want it to be 'wife friendly', get her input: is she comfortable with a manual trans (that will determine trans type, and possibly engine), does power steering make sense, how much time and $$$ can you allot to this project, what will the final usage be, etc... Getting her to buy into this will make your life a lot easier, and having a workable goal that you both agree on will make the goal more attainable.
    Build what you want, but RJP is right: 'Traditional' can get spendy in a hurry. Good luck!

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did this one miss the dirt tracks..

20. indyjps

indyjps

RJP you're on a roll. Breathe deep man. It'll be OK.

Doug Skillman, good looking project, looks like some fenders inside the car, did you get them all and confirm they fit this car?

21. alchemy

alchemy

I'm sure the OP didn't realize this was a traditional style hot rod site when he signed up. That's okay, we've made him aware now. And now he gets to decide if he wants to follow our recommendations to build the car with a traditional flavor, or go all modern street rod on it.

I can speak from experience, having built a car with a 350 SBC, MII, and 10- bolt rear, as well as having built a car with stock Ford springs and axles (dropped of course), with a flathead and manual three speed. The traditional car is much more fun, but not for a woman. If he wants a car for a woman he should definitely build in disk brakes, probably power steering, and a manual transmission.