Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cold garage jacket recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Oct 22, 2021.

1. SDS

SDS

It's starting to get cold here in NH after the sun drops (don't need to hear about you lucky guys in CA).

Anybody have a recommendation for a comfortable, relatively warm (not sweaty when you;re working) jacket with long sleeves that is resistant (not fire-proof) to sparks from grinding and bb's from MIG welding? Available canvas style welding jackets, like Eastwood and Hobart sells are very stiff/boardy and not comfortable to wear constantly.

dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I cheat. I use arc flash fire retardant jackets. I get two a year at work, take the old ones home.

carolinakid, 1oldtimer and Deuces like this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I made the mistake of getting rid of a few jackets before breaking them in. I hated working in them because they were too stiff (your wording "boardy" is perfect). However, a pal of mine had a similar coat that was beautifully broken in and I never asked how he did it because I assumed he just lived in it. Then, he wore out his old one, replaced it, and literally the next time I saw him, it was like he'd worn it for years.

His girlfriend (now wife) said she let the jacket soak for a couple hours and then threw it in the wash with a pair of shoes. She didn't use vinegar or fabric softener or any tricks - but I've read that's what a lot of people do. If it was still too stiff/new after that round, she'd do it one more time. Then, she said, every time it would get wet, she'd toss it in the dryer, on gentle, by itself.

I tried it and wouldn't you know... it worked. I had the jacket for years - it was great - and a few guys would ask how long it took to break it in because they have one hanging in the closet that they'd love to wear but figured it probably would take too long.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Joe Travers, WalkerMD, pitman and 6 others like this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

I use a welders jacket it’s ugly but snaps at the sleeves and bottom make it feel pretty warm. When it gets really cold I just put a sweatshirt under it.

5. Thanks for the tip, Brent. I have a canvas duster that reaches down to my shoe tops that I got for western trail rides and brass age cruising. I've washed it 3 or 4 times and it's remained pretty stiff. I'm going to try your "shoes in the dryer" idea and see if I can kick it into submission.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    -Brent- likes this.
  6. Farm and ranch supply stores usually have a good selection of duck cloth and denim barn jackets/coats. They're cut for working men that have to be able to do a full range of movements to do chores, etc.

Truckdoctor Andy and -Brent- like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Shoot Brent that’s a killer idea! I’ve got a pair of overalls in the closet that can stand up by themselves lol

-Brent- and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

go cruise the coat section at the thrift stores bet you can find something made out of cotton

chopped and Elcohaulic like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Both of my Drag Week class winner jackets have leather sleeves, and they are comfy and warm. And a sweatshirt under them makes them even warmer. Yes, I've worked on a car in the Minnesota snow that way.

There are lots of used leather jackets on ebay, too. Cheap. They're not very stylish these days, apparently.

10. Army field jackets if you have a military surplus store in town,. Wore one for years.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Me too! Took a beating, some what water resistant as long as you followed the wash instructions. Had the sleeve cuffs and the zipper replaced once, probably wore it for ten years, only stopped using it cause I think I grew out of it:rolleyes:.

MARKDTN, loudbang and NashRodMan like this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

Blues4U likes this.
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  14. BJR

BJR

I just turn up the furnace in the garage. At my age if I can't be comfortable, I will not work on a car.

57JoeFoMoPar, Tman, RICH B and 8 others like this.
  15. raven

raven

Tim you're supposed to wash them once in a while...
    r

-Brent- likes this.
  16. leon bee

leon bee

I just wear my oldest hoodies. When they catch on fire you can tear em off pretty quick.

Tman, SDS, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Depending on the temp, I wear either a denim jacket or insulated coveralls. I can get a lot done in a denim jacket, but when it gets cold enough for the coveralls, it's a have to fix situation because I normally won't work out in weather that cold. I don't have the advantage of a closed in shop, my work area is open on 2.5 sides and I don't have any heat other than a sunflower head on a BBQ sized propane tank. It heats good, but being so exposed it's only a small area.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any way to get a wood stove in there?

20. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

If you can find a cotton duck or canvas coat you like there are several commercial liquids (do a Google search for”fireproofing cotton fabric”)you can buy to soak or spray the coat in to make them fire proof or at least fire resistant. There are also several chemicals you can buy and make your own home brew for fire proofing. Where we live it doesn’t get real cold but I did some research because I was thinking about fire proofing a heavy denim Carhart shirt I have. Check out website: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cloth-Fireproof

alanp561 and seb fontana like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@raven hmmm, naw that doesn’t sound right

deathrowdave likes this.
  22. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

leather welding jacket an beat it up in the dryer if stiff w/ shoes and bliss

23. jaracer

jaracer

I grew up working on my cars in a semi-heated garage in Illinois. I say semi-heated as my Uncle gave me one of the old tall kerosene heaters. It heated everything within 5 inches of it. Past that, you could see your breath. My dad got a line on a used small house gas furnace for $35.00. It took about 3 hours for it to get the garage comfortable, but it was worth the wait. Later we enlarged the 2 car garage to hold my race car and all the trimmings. Dad found a much larger furnace for maybe $40.00 (a child of the depression he could always find a bargain). This furnace made the garage comfortable in about 20 minutes. I've made sure that I've had heated shops ever since.

24. Monkey garage jackets

25. I like my old carhart jacket.
    Takes a few washings to get it broke in.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Leather welding jacket for hot work,
    Dickies insulated Eisenhower for wrenching.

Blues4U, -Brent- and greybeard360 like this.
  27. Firedup

Firedup
    from Oregon

I like non insulated flanels. Last fairly long time. Cheap to get a new one.

28. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

i have a knock off walmart not a carheart thats black and hooded waist length been serving me well even tho since moving to south fl i only grab it about 10 mornings a year , moved from northern va used to use it alot up there ,, been very happy with its purchase ..i also stock up on black sweatshirts and wear em till they die lol
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  29. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Somehow I get more done in the winter. I have a wood burner and I always wear an insulated flannel. I usually get a new one every Christmas because wife sees how mangled it gets from cutting, grinding, welding, and laying on the floor.

30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Lined flannel shirt, carhartt vest…..but I live in nor cal