Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Show Awards, Something Besides Plastic Trophies Or Plaques?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Oct 18, 2021.

?
  1. Plastic Trophies

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Plaques

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Cast Aluminum 'Show Winner' plaques similar to club plaques

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Other

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. 'Home made' awards

33 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Not a big fan of the scrap iron, but I do like this one. I would prefer something useful and it doesn't have to be much. Have boxes of trophies setting on shelves gathering dust in one of my buildings.

2. The problem with 'home made' awards for whoever is promoting the show is coming up with them. Particularly if you need a lot of them. Without getting into the politics of show awards, the shows I'm involved with hand out a lot of awards (usually around 30 give or take) as that attracts cars who pay entry fees, and the fees allows the club to make donations to local non-profits and scholarships. The more money you shell out for awards, the less you have for donating.

There's a few shows around that specialize in metal home-made awards, but those have a dedicated member willing to do most/all the work and has a source for the parts; not something that's so easy to find these days. The nearest machine shop to me is over 40 miles away, and I ain't as young as I used to be. Spending hours at my welding table on a deadline isn't in the cards anymore.

And anybody who pisses off their SWMBO, you better hope that she doesn't use a home-made trophy to brain you, it could prove to be fatal! LOL

3. I won this sometime in the '70's. Something useful rather than a dust collector. Cash is good too.
    wax.jpg

4. None of the above, I prefer the CASH awards. :D HRP

[​IMG]

Lil32 likes this.
  5. Blake 27

Blake 27

A trophy I built for the Sacramento Autorama. DSC01599.JPG DSC01597.JPG

6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

For legitimate reasons you don't want to spend much money or time. So you need a large number of cheap and easy awards. You can print Certificates on a PC and mount on wood or put in a cheap frame. Or glue a Hot Wheel car to a piece of wood. I've won such awards at model car contests.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I've had the good fortune to win a few, the 'cup's are stashed in a dark dusty cupboard, the one that's on the wall is a metalflake painted moon disc with a bit of striping and lettering. Hand made are generally best. Have you seen the sponsored trophies there were given away at the Gathering at the ROC? Some really nice hand made one off stuff anyone would be happy to show off.

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-20_5-13-23.png
    4”X8” Long, finished wood base, felt bottom

Hello,

There are plenty of forged connecting rods for a multiple bunch of home made trophies. The piston and rod look has been used plenty of times and something different is open for design and completion.

Of course, sandblasting to get them clean, finish the 4x8 in wood base and put on a felt bottom. Attach the forged rod at an angle, giving you two spots for a good connection glue or “L” brackets. For fancier engraving or photo insertion, use the crankshaft opening to insert the additional plate/personalized photo surface.

The base will have the standard brass removable plate with the name of the big event. The right side of the plate will remain blank for later engraving of a name or winner.

The small plate will designate the name of the event or organization.

Since there are more plastic formed hot rod designs, the variations for different classes or awards is always used. But, if no plastic is necessary, there are cast metal forms of hot rods and sedans topper models for a solid feel and look.

Jnaki

I made several trophies or gifts, with a hand shaped small surfboard and had the local trophy shop make the plates. They weren’t for car shows, but the idea of home made trophies seems better. Although, give yourself plenty of time to create and finish each one.

The hardest part was making the little surfboard similar to the one the person was riding at the time. That went over big time. But, the colors, pinstriping tape for the stringers and hand painted flames or color designs were put on the smooth surfaces. YRMV

9. I like the small plaques, that I can put up on the wall with other photos or posters. Don't take up space, and can trigger some good memories.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Now days it would be great to give credit cards for various amounts.

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I won a "Best engine" handmade trophy with my way OT T bucket. It had a bent rod, a piston that the dome had been dented with a ball ping hammer, and some valve springs. It was painted flat black, nicely pinstriped, and the base was 1/4" plate. The problem was, I had a hard time lifting the damn thing.
    20211020_105843[5440].jpg 20211020_105809[5439].jpg These were nice, classy, and different.

12. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I probably have at least 50 trophy & plaques. I do appreciate receiving them.I have sponsored trophies for Cancer events...$20 is the average.
    . The best one I have is from a local end of year run called "The Fun Run".The club makes a huge iron kettle of ham & beans w/cornbread. Coolers full of pop & water. Everything is free,but everyone usually makes a donation.Now for the "trophy " stuff.Trophys are collected all year by the club.Everyone gets a trophy.You may get a 1st place Soccer , Top salesman, it may be a small 6" trophy, I've seen 6ft trophies that guy have trouble getting in their 32 coupe. The last one I got has a flying witch with some hind of do- dads attached. The club uses whatever they collected to make trophies. Bottom line is no winners or losers...just a super good time

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Maybe @guthriesmith can post pics of our most recent trophies. Jeff found a guy that adds some really cool aspects to our trophies.

14. Yea, we have been doing the same basic awards for a few years now. It helps that I have access to a waterjet at work to cut out the parts. I have sort of worked out an assembly process that makes them fairly easy to assemble, but they are also not the same as most other awards. We have done both pinstriping and lettering on them or more recently Alan Childers has been doing some sharpie artwork on them. Here are a few examples. They are just 4 pieces of steel that are cut on a waterjet then solid-riveted together sitting on a painted wood base. We have considered doing something different, but so far, doing them this way has been sort of hitting the "easy" button.

IMG_E1635.JPG

IMG_2974[1].JPG

IMG_2737[1].JPG

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

The guy never ceases to amaze me with a sharpie.

Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  16. CME1

CME1

A local Lions Club collects donated used trophies, removes the printed plates and replaces them with new ones. Saves a lot of money. To most award winners, it's the fun of having your car receiving an award. Then what to do with the award once you get home!

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

This really isn't an award, but I want one. IMG_1285 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG

Lil32 likes this.
  18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

^I've seen vacuum formed plastic license plates before. That might make a neat award. I've seen home made vacuum machines too.

19. 1pickup

1pickup

I recently (10/2) put on a car / music show and my bro & I made these to give out. Pinstriped by my buddy Johnny B Good. Couldn't make it just a traditional show, as the owner of the bar we held it at wouldn't have understood me turning people away. Bottom left w/ torque wrench: TWISTED WRENCH AWARD went to a dually crew cab (former show) truck w/ a LOT of mods. Center bottom: MOST JACKED UP AWARD went to a high riding Ranger 4X4 - I even put springs under the plaque. Bottom right: PERFECT PATINA AWARD went to an awesome Chevy AD truck w/ all the hard work covered up by an old looking body. The rusted metal piece was cut out of a floor patch I had on my '39 Ford since the 70's. Center left: MOST TRADITIONAL AWARD was an old side mirror that reads "Refections of the Passed." It was given to a bitchin' Deuce 3 window w/ flathead. Next to that is the RATTIEST ROD AWARD. There really wasn't a rattiest rod, so it did go to an old flat black coupe. Left rear: WILDEST PAINT AWARD went to a mini (pedal car sized) '40 Willys truck. The 2 in the right rear: I made the guy holding the barrel out of Pontiac timing gears & SBC valve train parts. THE BARREL'S BEST (show was at the Barrel Inn Bar, thus the little barrel I found on eBay) was awarded by the bar owners to a very nice '65 Impala. And finally, the bowling pin- FINEST LINES: best use of pinstriping went to a '63 Cad.
    Had a bunch of fun making these, & they were appreciated more than some plastic crap trophy.

upload_2021-10-21_17-12-39.jpeg

i.rant likes this.
  20. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

when i lived in northern virginia i liked a show at the old capitol center grounds in landover md. was a big time ,, the trophys they gave out were engraved belts like the ones boxers or wwf wrestlers get , just the look on guys faces lifting them up over their heads and yelling some strutting required ,,, was awsome ,,allways wanted one ,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  21. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

Some trophy's are pretty creative, but whatever they give out is fine with me. The main reason we go to shows is to get together with friends.

Lil32 likes this.
  22. 2F8348D9-1D30-47F1-A5D1-1A8D72640DDC.jpeg

Here is one that I made for last year’s Detroit Autorama that was unfortunately canceled. This was supposed to be the celebrity judges choice award. Home made trophies all the way! @Hobo’s Hot Rod Garage

Sancho, guthriesmith and Lil32 like this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Why does everything have to be a competition ? Being able to own & enjoy your car should be reward enough .

guthriesmith and Lil32 like this.
  24. Lil32

Lil32

Sir
    how would you like this
    looks good on my '32
    IMG_1770.jpg

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Have the winner take a photo with your club then charge the winner $4 for the photo.

Lil32 likes this.
  26. I won a HEAVY door stop and 400 dollars cash at the Cherokee Rod Run a couple of weeks ago. HRP

313370942_5524568657664551_8013906420974110698_n.jpg

309086746_5581532038552625_3435437700305003808_n.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Sky Six and guthriesmith like this.
  27. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I recently won an inexpensive plaque and a nice gift at a local show put on by the city.
    20221031_124502_resized[11177].jpg 20221031_124520_resized[11176].jpg

jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. das858

das858

I went to a small town show this year that gave out cash awards , in each class they gave out $20.00 for 3rd place , $40.00 for 2nd place , $60.00 for 1st plus a gift certificate for $25.00 worth of goods at a local business . Something very useful , easy to do also. The entry fee was $20.00 for the show . Personally I like homemade trophies , but That requires someone that is creative and hard working to pull off .

29. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

If I win an award at a show or a race, anything is fine, as long a it identifies the event and the reason for the award. It is a keepsake to remind me years later of the fun I had, and to wax nostalgic about it. Cash, no. That will be gone and forgotten before the week is over.

Speaking of awards, I once won a badge for my modest demeanor.

But they took it away when I wore it. ;)

Crazy Steve, X-cpe and jim snow like this.