Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which current production rams horn manifolds fit tightest?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Oct 19, 2021.

1. SDS

SDS

Got a set of ram horn exhaust manifolds from Summit Racing - they are super nice for the $, but do not at all hug the block - the collector basically hangs down vertically from the head versus angled inward along the side of the block. This puts the exhaust pipe in the same place that my steering sfat/s will be.
    I'm looking for an alternative (no "tru-ram" types!) to these in a stock appearing 'Corvette" style manifold - does anyone know of any currently available re-pop manifolds that hug the block tight/er?

Thanks

Deuces likes this.
  2. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe all ram horns stock or repops in corvette style dump straight down

Max Gearhead and Deuces like this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They all go straight down. The other option is to run block hugger headers. I was going to run rams horn, had the same issue you have plus the set I have are the smaller outlet ones. I had a set of block hugger headers I originally bought for an OT project which I sold a while back, they clear great. Not as vintage looking but I’m going to run full hood. 1CFA3D2E-84D4-4222-BC30-25269E7F691B.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I need to take a photo with the steering box in place

5. SDS

SDS

I've definitely seen some originals that hug the block quite tightly (compared to these). I had a set of cast iron re-pops that I bought from a vendor at the long beach swap meet back in 2002 ($245) and they were super nice - they fit much tighter than the summit ones, but I don't have a clue who made them.

6. 34Phil

34Phil

Have you considered angle mill and spot face the bolt holes?

7. That was mentioned in his other thread also

8. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Some Chevy Ram Horns dump on a rearward angle. And Williams makes a set of nice looking rear dump cast iron manifolds.

jimmy six likes this.
  9. I would either pic the rams horns I liked OR do Fentons (much cooler IMHO) and as mentioned build the steering around them.

upload_2021-10-19_9-21-23.jpeg

10. OR 55 Chevy manifolds

[​IMG]

11. X-cpe

X-cpe

Angle milling the heads might also buy you a fraction.

12. Chevy pickups had a ram horn the angled rearward, but not in towards the block

[​IMG]

13. SDS

SDS

I have considered this too...the bolt holes are pretty tight, would have to bore those out at the corresponding angle as well. Will post photos of the ones I had on it 18 years ago.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  14. oldsman41

oldsman41

When I get into headers in a car that I know will have steering interference I just build my own,way cheaper in the long run IMO

RMR&C and Tman like this.
  15. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I run one like the lower one on my '36 Ford pickup. They do offset inward just enough for my steering shaft, but not all builds are the same.

Gary

16. A guy can also offset the engine slightly to the passenger side to gain clearance

gimpyshotrods, ottoman and X-cpe like this.
  17. tim troutman

tim troutman

Sanderson cast iron headers fit tight but may not be the look you are after. bought a car that had block huggers on it . the steering was at to much angle for the ujoints and they were rusted out . wanted to put ram horns on but they would not fit . the sandersons were the solution to make it all work for me.

18. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yet, another offering..Williams Manifolds....

williams manifolds.jpg

19. 1985 Chevy C-10, 350 engine, exhaust manifold, would this work? E78B8D00-BAB4-49E0-88FD-233A8FC7B5E8.png

20. SDS

SDS

Thanks for all of the great input, guys. I didn't really want to use tru-rams, but they may be the only option.
    Steering column should be here any day, I'm going to mock-up the column, drop, shaft and u-joints (being conscious of exhaust clearance) - then decide if I have to use different manifolds.

21. figure8

figure8

I'm using some I bought from Speedway. Hug the block like a block hugger header. But I think the are tru-ram. I would use them again.

SDS likes this.
  22. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

These do tilt into the pan some there 2.5”bought on the online site.

Attached Files:

23. SDS

SDS

That looks pretty tight - 2 questions:
    1) what's the gap between the back side of the collector and the block
    2) where'd you get them, Speedway? Cost?

24. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

The three bolt flange is around 1/2” from the block right at where the head sits on the block.
    eBay

25. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I posted this the other day on this thread and deleted it, when I reread your initial post...."no tru-ram types". Since you might be rethinking these I'll re-post for your consideration.

3wLarry's (RIP) old 32 Coupe.
    DSC06488[1] (1).jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    -Brent- and Budget36 like this.
  26. SDS

SDS

Thanks...lots of ram's horns on eBay...Have a link to that vendor or eBay page?

27. alchemy

alchemy

I bought a vintage pair of Chevy rams horns last weekend for $10 at a swap meet. Just in case I ever decide to (heaven forbid) build a car with a small block. They had straight and angled in the pile, and I picked the pair with the least warts. The left one swings rearward and slightly inward. They probably aren’t pre-1965, but they are traditional.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  28. carpok

carpok
    from Indy