Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seeking Beta test users for a home auto hobbyist application : Not a sales pitch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, Oct 15, 2021.

1. donsz

donsz

About six months I surveyed this forum regarding the idea of creating an application specifically for home auto hobbyists. A number of members were kind enough to provivide some excellent feedback. At this time I have completed the application based on how I interpreted the feedback and perceived assumptions. Tentatively it is called GearHead Databox.
    aaa.jpg
    The application works in Windows 10.

In short the application provides the following:

1. Ability to save the following to a database:
    - Information regarding vehicles including type, model, purchase cost, current valve, market value, etc.
    The ability to veiw and save images is included.
    - Parts tracking by vehicle and category,, costs, etc.The ability to veiw and save images is included.
    - Tools tracking vehicle and category,, costs, etc.The ability to veiw and save images is included.
    - Mainteance tracking vehicle and category,, costs, etc
    - Organzation of reference materials by category.The ability to veiw and save images is included.

2. Vehicle, parts and tools information can be printed out complete or only selected items. The print-outs
    can used as addendums for wills and living trust documents.

3. Selected parts and tools information can be saved as a formatted image and made available to label
    makers that print image labels (JPG). Parts and tools labels include value information.

4. Quick Analysis Charts: allow a visual view of selected vehicle, parts, tools and maintenance data.

5. There is extensive use of editable drop down lists (select and click) to minimize the typing of input data.
    This also helps ensure data integrity and more exacting analysis. For example; While Chevy and
    Chevrolet are pragmatically the same, they are distinctly different items to a database.

6. Log-ins are assigned a user name, password and security level by the administrator. Only a user with
    administrator security level can view and edit all data. Those with other levels posses lesser privileges.

I would like to get feeback from actrual users of the application. Therefore I am offfering the application
    free to those that would provide feedback. I need five people to test and provide feedback. The application
    and database would be theirs to keep.

I only ask that if you have an interest, that you message me with your email address (needed for DrpBox download):
    - Requesting the application
    - It is for your personal use
    - You will not make copies for others (O.K. if for own use)
    - Provide me with feedback

Again thanks for the initial information.
    don

ElmCityGeoff likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may consider adding a receipt scanner and a receipts folder for each car.
    One of these or the apple blink receipt app.
    upload_2021-10-15_14-49-38.png

Carter likes this.
  3. donsz

donsz

Good idea!
    don

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The last thing I would want is a break down on the cost of a project especially if I was married. Now it would be nice if you had a loss covered buy insurance but if you get devorced you will need to buy it from your wife for half again what you've already spent on it. No receipt they either go off what you say you have in it or get an appraisal and you can get a appraisal for whatever you think it's worth witch is usually quite a bit less that you have in it.
    Had to post this because most don't think about it until it happens, sometimes things change while your spending all your freetime out in the shop...

Beanscoot likes this.

5. donsz

donsz

I'm not trying to sell you, but the application does have security levels and that information can be hidden from the non-administrator user. But your point is well taken, you may still need to provide access to that information regardless.
    don

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be it cars or guns or boats if a guy is scared that his wife will find out what he has tied up in them he can't afford them in the first place.
    Still while the app is interesting and I wouldn't mind trying it on my build on my 48 I see it more as a money management tool for projects that guys who do the build, drive for a season and sell and build another one and repeat thing as a good friend of mine used to do. If you saw his current car you knew that even though there wasn't a sign on it that it was for sale at the end of the rod run season. Each car was just a bit nicer than the last too.
    Full documentation of the parts and pieces and small details that you have in the build are great even if you don't have the costs down. If it works for that it would really save some headaches down the line and the with or without the cost list of all parts used with part numbers and paint codes and what not would be a serious selling aid if you were intending to sell the rig in a year or two. Here's the book or disk that has every part I used in the build in it with part numbers right down to the alternator belt would be a big selling point.

47chevycoupe and Carter like this.
  7. donsz

donsz

Mr48chev:
    Just send me a message as outlined in my post and I will give you the dounload info for the app. It costs you nothing.
    Hopefully it will be helpful to you.

Another facet to this is that if you can document a value on your vehicles, parts, tools, etc., it is very helpful for your sspouse who may not have the same knowledge of the hobby as you. Many people in the hobby are of the age where they need to think about a will, estate planning, etc. The app makes it easy to print attachments for a will or living trust document. Also, if you spouse ever has to sell parts, tools, vehicles without you being there, he or she can have a guide as to worth. As an example, I have some fairly rare NAPCO parts (front end, transfer case, etc.) that my wife probably would pay the junk man to take away. She thinks everything that is not shiny in my workshop is junk. Yet the parts do have significant value. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that situation.
    don