Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do you successfully paint galvanised steel???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8, Oct 16, 2021.

1. twenty8

twenty8

Anyone have the lowdown on how to paint galvanised steel and get a decent result that will wear well?
    I have heard of a few different approaches. Let us know your secrets to success.

2. There may be a better way. But I just use vinegar and steel wool. Then a good primmer and sealer. I've had no problems. But will looking to see what others do? Ron...

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

rustoleum does a Gal primer, any primer thats specially for Gal will work if you follow the directions, you can powdercoat straight over Gal.

rladams65 likes this.
  4. twenty8

twenty8

I have been told to clean well and etch prime. Have not tried this yet, so can't verify it.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

First cote should be epoxy primer, I use a sandable epoxy from PPG that works as a fill primer also.

twenty8 and rladams65 like this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Etch primers are ONLY for black steel....

7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've used Ospho on it first, then prime and paint. This has worked for the few galvanized items I've painted.

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Many years ago we used zinc-chromate ( galvanize is a zinc coating) , the yellow stuff , there are industrial coatings also . white vinegar acts as a mild etch & is used on ga!vanized . mild phosphoric acid mag be used to etch galvanized.

twenty8, Blues4U, ClarkH and 2 others like this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I made a floral metal sculpture for our town square It was galvanized prior to being painted with automotive enamels so it will withstand many years outdoors. After a mild phosphoric wash we used conventional primer and it has held up after many years of weather.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    twenty8, 2Blue2, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What 2old2fast said.

Pat

twenty8 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  11. spanners

spanners

My Dad had his own body repair/spray painting business most of his life and I did my apprenticeship with him. We used an etch primer on zinc and zincanneal truck bodies. I have no idea what brand it was but it looked and smelt like contact cement like you'd use on upholstery. It was fairly thin in consistency so you put some in a spray gun and did a coat that you could see through, waited till it felt tacky and then shot a coat of normal acrylic primer over it. We never had a single comeback and we did hundreds of truck bodies and diecast body parts this way.
    I've still got some at home that I've used on zincanneal trailer bodies.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    twenty8 likes this.