Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I was also trying to put my finger on why this car has the appeal that it does, obviously the cars' good bones play a big role and the color combo really make it stand out, considering it has not been a pampered garage queen.
    I think the restraint Brian has shown along with considerable work has as much to do with the outcome as anything.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    racer-x, Thor1, Tickety Boo and 2 others like this.
  2. white is not my first color choice. but then I agree there is something about this one. I think the Daytona orange has a lot to do with the cool look. it really makes the car pop. there seems to be more red vettes with a body cove painted white out there. maybe that's also why it stands out. I tried not to mess with too much. only enough to make it reliable and safe. sometimes less is more. the weekend forecast looks dry and 60s. the top is coming off I have a winter coat and gloves.

3. my unrequested position... I've come to like the single color 50's era vettes more than the two-tones over the years. The two-tones seem more... white-collar... , while the single color ones seem to suggest a more blue-collar toughness. Any chance the cowl tag indicates an all ivory paint code, and someone painted the cove red at a later time?

Thor1 likes this.
  4. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

@gotta56forme I agree. Since these cars surged in popularity in the early 70s many or most have had the cove painted. Generally more came from the factory without the cove painted. So many are painted now that I prefer the solid color or non painted cove. Unfortunately Corvettes did not have a Trim Tag until the 1963 model year.

This car would have had the color written on the top side of the #1 frame crossmember in grease/lumber crayon. In most climates and northern climates in particular that is almost always long gone. I don't recall when at the moment but at least by 1958 production line workers wrote the color in grease pencil on the bulkhead on the trunk side covered by the fibre board trim. Sometimes witness marks can be seen through the paint. Sometimes the paint needs to be scraped off with something like the edge of a quarter I don't recall if I've seen a '57 with it there. It's worth a look.

It is highly probable that racer-x's car did not start life with the red coves. It is more likely owner inspired. Polo White with Venetian Red coves was not offered.

Example

1959-J59S106732colour-trunk.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    I just got word from my in-laws that Culvers are doing a Wisconsin curd burger, if that was my car that's where I'd be cruising to.

vtx1800, Thor1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. A new culves is going up less than ten minutes away from my house. Bring it on.

7. With how bold the interior is the colored coves balance out the car. They are staying that color. The car will never be a gold spinner car.

8. Budget36

Budget36

To heck with how they are painted or not, I’d rock a pink polka dotted ‘57 Vette with the top down and smile the whole ride:)

Quick story. My dad bought my ‘57 Chevy PU new. He went with my grand father shopping. My grandfather wanted him to but the “little car”. Yes, a ‘57 Vette.
    My dad told him “Pa, I can’t pull a horse trailer with it”

Now I love my ‘57 PU, don’t get me wrong. But damn, we’d still have a one owner family with a ‘57 Vette if my dad wasn’t cowboying back then;)

WC145, catdad49, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  9. Racer X - That 'Vette is great the way it is. Run it!

Cosmo49, Thor1, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  10. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

My town got the very first Culver's in the state of Minnesota. I've been spoiled for a lot of years!

11. jaracer

jaracer

You know a pull to one side is often caused by the opposite side not braking like it should.

Did the car seem "tighter" with the top on? My T-Bird really tightens up when I put the hard top on. With it off, it is like every convertible I've driven. Things sort of move in all directions when you go over bumps.

12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mention of "CULVER'S " really brought a smile to my face. On the corner of my art table is a plastic "CULVER'S " cup, that I brought home from Oshkosh Wisconsin, from many years ago. I doubt there will ever be a CULVER'S out here in Washington state, but for many years of attending the Airshow in Oshkosh, CULVER'S was always a treat for me !

culvers cup.jpg

Stogy, Thor1, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  13. Cullllverrrrs (in my best Homer Simpson voice). Lived near Green Bay for 6 years and really developed a taste for them. Bob's Big Boy doesn't hold a candle to 'em.

Stogy, Thor1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Usually around 50 cars at the Thursday cruise nights at our Culvers in Manitowoc :cool:

15. Tried working on the white balance on your shot a little to reduce the blue cast. It warmed the colors up a bit and made the white look more natural.

57 vette359.jpg

WC145, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 13 others like this.
  16. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

41GMC it could happen we had a Culvers in Austin Texas and have one here in Westminster Colorado so it could happen

17. Moving the front tires to the rear removed the steering wheel shake. The car is a fun driver.

18. Its time to get back on the 57. New parts have been showing up such as
    New side trim
    New antennas
    New door handles
    New parts for the heater
    New harness for the drivers side engine compartment. The hood will get repainted its nasty. Maybe some touch ups with any left over paint. 20220410_185908.jpg 20220410_190324.jpg

19. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to see this is still getting worked on, I really like this car. I wonder if you could get a good enough paint match to blend in and repaint just the center of the hood between the two raised ribs without having an obvious line? If the whole hood was repainted and perfect I think it would stand out against the nose and fenders. But with a great paint match you could fix just the center of the hood and leave the edges which are pretty nice anyway and make it way less obvious that one whole panel got repainted. Just a thought, I like the car and I like what you're doing with it either way.

Stogy, OahuEli, tomkelly88 and 2 others like this.
  20. My painter needs to look at it then decide. For some strange reason the fenders are both scratched up. The rest of the car is fine. There is a hole in the top of the passenger side fender. This was from a accident in 1969. The whole front clip really needs to be painted. My parts store has a camera i can borrow. Its held tight to a painted surface for a picture. That picture is fed into a computer for a perfect paint match.
    Its a where do you start and where do you stop thing thats still being decided.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Stogy, 40FORDPU, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  21. The five spokes are going on. I keep losing the hub caps. I think they are not correct for the rims. Here is a closer look at the front end and why i might do something to correct it. 20220411_082942.jpg 20220411_083003.jpg 20220411_082955.jpg 20220411_083008.jpg

WC145, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

If that was mine I wouldn't paint a thing. As you said, where do you stop? The new paint will never match.

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree.

You will get more people looking at it and enjoying it as it is than restoring it / over restoring it.

Make it road worthy - that's it.

I get more people looking at and enjoying my off topic unrestored time capsule Muscle Car.
    Faded paint - unrestored engine bay and engine bit of dirt and grease, some dings and scratches - driver. The only thing I bought was a front spoiler that I found from a guy in Washington State as the other one was gone, busted to hell.

Why ?
    Because it's original only once and frankly most guys enjoy a survivor.

My observation over the years is most restored Vetts and Muscle Cars are grossly over restored.

Let it live in it's glory history - don't get caught up in the restoration BS.

Drive it and enjoy it. !
    Most guys will appreciate it.
    IMHO.

24. the paint is not original. its had a previous paint job due to a accident in the 60s. it was raced in northern Illinois during the 60s. the engine has been replaced with a correct replacement. its hardly a cream puff. more of a severely neglected barn find. the work im doing is to try to preserve as much of the car as possible. im not restoring it. there are plenty of scratches; pitting etc to make it look old. the worst part of the car is the hood. I will get some opinions from my painter friends before I decide. the paint already doesn't match do to a previous repaint; buffing; fading. the tops of the fenders have thin areas of paint. no fake patina needed here. its got it and then some.

WC145, bowie, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

A competent painter can match it we rust repaired a 57 Chevy a year ago that was like your car and the customer didn’t want the whole car painted we were able to match the original paint and where we blended it you couldn’t tell most body shops won’t even touch a car like that a real restoration shop can do that with no issue it will however not be cheap but it can be done I dig the car Brian keep up the good work

racer-x, Cosmo49, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

To me, patina is neglect. It’s already had one paint job, so it’s not original anymore. It deserves a decent paint job. Doesn’t have to be a show car paint job, a simple job in enamel would go a long way. I’d much rather see an inexpensive paint job than a thin scratched up mismatched mess on a nice car like that.

just my two cents.....

27. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

What he said, not original any more.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  28. 20211107_172135.jpg I have my body off day two Chevelle project going on plus my nitro coupe and vintage camper refurbishing there is no time for a vette restoration. Plus there is only so much time and money to go around. I only know how to do things the right way going all the way. I dont skimp or do a partial job.When the time comes the vette might become a gold spinner car. Most likely when i retire. Until then i will drive it and enjoy it for what it is my hands are full right now. It also gives me time to collect parts; do research; develop a network of vette guys.
    I have restored several pre war antique harleys and indians to true concourse condition. They all won winner circle awards. I know how to play the restoration game. Im looking forward to the future challenge. Pics of my current projects. 20220319_124007.jpg Screenshot_20211210-144249_Photos.jpg 20220409_143431.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    cederholm, WC145, Moondog13 and 13 others like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

See, I am the exact opposite. If you are going to paint it, why put a cheapo job on it? He isn't cleaning the rust off the frame, or detailing the engine compartment. And a quick enamel job will just look pale in comparison to all the other over-restored Corvettes at the shows. I'd much rather celebrate the life it has lived and is still living.

WC145, lake_harley, bowie and 8 others like this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

From what I gathered, it was going to be a driver, not a show queen right now. I just don’t understand not making something look better. That’s just the way I see things, but it doesn’t matter, it’s not my car. I wouldn’t have even recovered the seats if I wasn’t going to have some decent paint on it.

None of my business, so I’ll shut up now.

olscrounger likes this.