Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Frame Paint

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stowe, Oct 13, 2021.

1. stowe

stowe

Hello looking to put a top coat on my 32 frame . Right now it is in red oxide prime. I am looking for suggestions for a brush on top coat. Spraying in not on option at this time.

2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Satin Rustoleum , is what I will be using.

vtx1800 likes this.
  3. 1952henry

1952henry

Mastercoat has a topcoat that looks interesting . Not sure if it is for regular primer

4. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

If it's a red oxide epoxy you can use a Master coat top coat over it since it's a urethane . if it's an oil-based product use an oil-based top coat. It wouldn't hurt to spot test it first.

5. If you use an oil based paint, try Penetrol additive.
    I’ve used it for house trim and it eliminated the brush strokes. People think I sprayed it.

48fordnut likes this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it a bare frame or semi assembled.?

7. stowe

stowe

Now it is just mocked Will have to all come apart .

8. I like Eastwood products. Chassis black. I've had it in the engine compartment of my 66 Mustang since 2003. It has held up nice. I will be using the same product on my 31'. You can spray it or brush it.

9. Koz

Koz

I'm with the above post. I like Eastwood chassis ceramic coatings and they hold nicely over just about anything Also as a second I really like Rustoleum 2X in satin. This is a binder/color coat, not regular Rustoleum, and covers and finishes very nicely. I swear you could paint a squirrel under this stuff and not find it. Canyon Black satin is my favorite.

I believe the Rusto is only available in rattle cans but two cans will do a chassis nicely. Out the door for about $14.00.

CrazyDaddy likes this.
  10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

With cabinet grade foam mini coater roller.
    1082769.jpeg

Packrat likes this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Freuhauf Trailer Frame paint $9.00/gallon

Oh, never mind, I just had a flashback to the 60's
    I've had great luck with Nason, Chassis Black brushed on and the nice part of it is that you can touch it up with a brush

Algoma56 likes this.
  12. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have been trying to find some rustoleum flat black Professional series spray cans in flat black.
    Tried the usual big box hardware stores. Also tried a few local hardware stores. Very little
    rustoleum products of any variety and zero/ none of the pro series. It is discouraging
    when one cant even buy a simple can of the most common spray paint in this area.
    I wonder if the rest of the country has the same issues?

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Be happy you're not buying a dishwasher!

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  14. IMG_20210828_124454135_HDR.jpg Tekaloyd types of paint are very good for brushing on.

My Modified is completely brush painted.

I bought mine from Craftsmaster here in the UK but I'm sure there's a US equivalent

https://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/

Took just one litre to do the whole car - about $40

48fordnut likes this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

In Mid Ga there is none of the large Pro cans, and a very limited supply of the satin/semi gloss spray cans. I have turned to the bay for my supplies. Found most of what was needed.
    W Mart used to carry some of the qt sized rusto paints ,but my 3 stores have not had any for a while.