Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 Inverted “Y” Flatheads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I know this has been touched on in a couple forums, but giving it another shot. Anyone have insight into the inverted or upside down “Y” 59 series blocks? Getting ready to dig into this one, would love to gain a little insight in regard to origins.

Attached Files:

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Lots of theory's on those markings, but I dont think any actual Ford factory information has ever been found

Crookshanks likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Letting everyone know about their next V8?

Crookshanks likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I have a few of the weird letter blocks, but none of them have the letter upside down. Well, maybe the Z block is. Course the X block could be too….

hfh and Crookshanks like this.

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Yeah, first hand knowledge to me, I know as most we're lead to believe those odd letters L, X, Y, Z etc, were said to be higher nickel castings & as has also been said & in print better for bigger bores, if that is true not sure how the possibility of core shift was dealt with ( vibration during casting perhaps) ???? I do know the long time owner who originally dirt track raced my 32 was always on the hunt for x & z codes & as he claimed they were used in military applications specifically tanks, I would assume the smaller armored personnel units... as it would seem the bigger stuff was diesel powered or used the big block flathead. I Currently have a 59 block with an L code raised casting turned sideways & slightly down on the left side of the bell housing area a true L code ??

Crookshanks likes this.
  6. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

That being said, maybe it’s not a “Y” after all!

7. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I was under the same assumption in regard to military applications. The oil pan suggests large truck on mine as well, so most likely industrial …?