Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fly in, Drive home in my late Dads car. Attempting 2000 miles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Oct 10, 2021.

1. HotRod33

HotRod33

Sorry to hear about your dad... I'll look forward to hearing more about your road trip... Be safe

Stogy, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 3 others like this.
  2. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I too, send my condolences. But this trip with your son will be great! I'll be following. Where are you going and where will you end up?

Stogy, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 1 other person like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Sorry to hear about your dad passing. I'm glad I got to meet him last year.

I'm a couple hundred miles away...the wrong direction....but if I can help, let me know. My brother in Tucson still drives his corvair.

Watch out for the Cholla, they're nasty! as I'm sure you've discovered over and over.

warbird1, Stogy, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  4. ...can you post any pics of his other cars?...Corvair looks nice, hope you get to road trip it home.
    condolences to your family and friends

5. squirrel

squirrel

there are lots more Corvairs....

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. squirrel

squirrel

or at least the corvair center forum. They're pretty active and helpful, in my experience. One of the guys there was on Drag Week, too

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Sorry to hear about your dad. Cool tribute road trip, though.

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great thing you are doing. Looking forward to seeing updates on your trip.

10. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Sorry to hear about your DAD. All the best with your adventure in his Corvair.

11. Sorry for the loss of your Dad. I'm sure he would be proud of road tripping on of his cars Back home.
    After your adventures of drag week, this should be a nice leisurely trip.

12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for all of the condolences and well wishes, plus the Corvair advice. You guys are great!
    My son has not yet made it down here, so I've been wrenching on this thing by myself so far.

My dad left behind a couple of pretty rough vintage tin projects that he had big plans for at one time, a dozen corvairs, and some late model stuff like Vegas.

PXL_20211011_154044468.jpg PXL_20211011_154218219.jpg PXL_20211011_154156199.jpg .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The pack rats around here pack everything with Cholla cactus under the hood. Cleaning out this engine bay of this other spider is going to be a chore. PXL_20211011_154205757.jpg

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I couldn't get the rear wheel bearings apart to grease them. It is a pair of ball bearings that allow for angular misalignment in a cast iron housing, everything is pressed together. I don't trust 60-year-old grease, so I drilled a hole between the bearing races and put in a zerk fitting, and pumped in new red grease until all the old black grease stopped flowing out. That should work I'm going to put the axles back in the car and run it for a while without the brakes yet installed so that it will sling out any excess and it will get on the brakes. PXL_20211009_191300062.jpg PXL_20211009_191833491.jpg

WC145, weps, moparboy440 and 20 others like this.
  15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Best of luck on the trip... Great way to turn what normally is a hard memory into a good one with your son. Sorry for yalls loss, and he would have loved this 2k mile trip home idea from the sound of things.

Stogy, Lil32, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  16. Condolences and good luck on the trip.
    Keep folks here posted with pics and updates.

Stogy, Lil32, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I was going to mention the rear wheel bearings, but looks like you already know what you need to do...not surprising :)

I grew up in Tucson, same problem with cholla. And the ironic thing was that I went to Cholla High School! (look it up, on the west side of town, near A mountain)

Stogy, Lil32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Squirrel, I like to learn from other people's problems and / or mistakes even better than I like learning from personal experience. Your wheel bearing problem in the wedge was an education for me that I am applying to the Corvair. I spent a whole day trying to get that bearing off of there, because I was determined to lubricate it. But when I couldn't get it off without destroying it, I decided to try the grease fitting thing.

bchctybob, Stogy, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  19. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I have the wheel cylinders rebuilt, bearings are packed, new rubber hoses for the brakes, and everything is getting switched over to dot five fluid.

The old axle u-joints did not have grease fittings and the grease in them was all dried out and stiff. I disassembled them to grease them up, but that was a bad idea. Little needles were everywhere except where they needed to be so I decided to spring for new u-joints as well.

Working on my dad's car, at his place, with his tools, I'm thinking of him almost constantly. It's good for my spirit. It makes me not feel sad as much.

PXL_20211011_162727457.jpg PXL_20211011_162806916.jpg PXL_20211011_163056770.jpg

20. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Sorry to here about your dad. Good luck on your trip home.

Stogy, Lil32, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

The wheel bearings don't really need much, just a few squirts of grease through a hole drilled in them. They'll be fine now.

Bring a spare fan bearing, starter, and generator, as well as the "normal" things.

Nostrebor, Stogy, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  22. Sorry to hear about your dad. I did the same thing back in 2006. My dad passed away and I flew out to Mesa, AZ to pick up his 38 Chevy coupe. I drove it 1500 miles to Goodguys in Des Moines, and a Iowa memorial service for him, and back to Oklahoma. 2000 miles in the coupe was good medicine for my grieving heart.

R A Wrench, drdave, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

I take my dad's old tool box from the 60s with me on Drag Week....

trunk2.jpg

24. Very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. I hope yo enjoy the trip home with your son!

Stogy, Lil32, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  25. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Godspeed to your Dad, may he rest in peace.

Stogy, Lil32, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  26. Good way to make the best of a sad situation, road trip with your son. I think your dad will be proud.

Stogy, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 2 others like this.
  27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I got the left axle, u joint, and brake line in. I had to remove the heater duct to get at the upper brake hose bracket. It literally fell apart. Does anybody know where I can get some of this stuff in short order? It's 4 inch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  28. squirrel

squirrel

dryer vent duct, but gotta be careful about not letting it short the battery cable at the starter

use duct tape as needed :)

29. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. He’ll be smiling down on you and your son for the trip, I’m sure.

The heater “hose” looks like the same stuff used in VWs. I’ll see if I can get an accurate diameter measurement for you.

Back in a bit.

Edit: The ‘67 Bug I have uses 2inch.

Daddy Deville, Stogy, Lil32 and 2 others like this.