Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little help with wishbones

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cantspel, Oct 7, 2021.

1. cantspel

cantspel
    from PA

I’m putting a little Rod together with my 16 yr old. I’ve read conflicting statements about the bolts at the batwings. Some say tighten them, others say they need to pivot so the front can work. If I tighten them, the suspension will pivot from the rear only, and may push the spring as it works thru it’s range of travel. If I leave them loose, and depend on the nylock nuts, the ends do not appear to be designed that way. No bushings, no inside washers, etc. And that just doesn’t seem right.

Attached Files:

2. Koz

Koz

Most certainly tight. There is no pivot at the batwings.

X38 likes this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If it was a four bar set up, they would need to pivot, but that’s not what you have. They need to be tight and only pivot at the rear.

cantspel likes this.
  4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trust your intuition! Tight!

Actually, I've never heard or read anyone saying anything other than tight. Strange!

Chris

X38 likes this.

5. cantspel

cantspel
    from PA

That makes sense.

While we are on this front end, how much caster do you guys run? I tacked everything and set it up on an alignment machine. I set it up at 7 degrees positive at ride height. The wishbones are adjustable, but I would think if you try to get too much out of it either way, you will bind the spring. I’m just trying to make it drive nice

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Just to correct your nomenclature, you have hairpin radius rods not wishbones.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. jimvette59

jimvette59

They are not four bar that move at the axle.

8. Sixtigers

Sixtigers

I've never seen an axle configuration like this before (I'm new to solid axles). What is this configuration referred to as? Is it done for safety? Sort of like...uh...suicide prevention?

Wouldn't the frame hit the top of the spring, or is it farther away than it looks in that photo?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    wcben and borntoloze like this.
  9. I have never seen an axle/spring mounted like that either ... basically the reverse of a t-bucket/suicide front end. Just curious, what vehicle is this chassis for?
    [​IMG]

panhead_pete likes this.
  10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@cantspel Are you sure this is set up right? Im no pro (a LONG way frm that) but not sure if I've seen a setup like this before? Reverse suicide?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021