Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '49 Ford coupe rear end swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Oct 4, 2021.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I know the factory '49 Ford club coupe rear axle is 57" wide.
    I want to lower the ass end 8 to 10" from where it sits now. It looks like it sits way higher than factory judging by other pictures, but maybe not. Either way, I keep reading that going any lower than a 3" drop makes it really hard to remove the rear wheels.
    It currently has the factory 16" wheels on it but I'll be swapping to a set of 15x5s with 3" bs. I'll be using a set of 215/70r15 tires.
    In my research for rear axle widths I found that 2wd s10 rears are 54.5" wide.
    My question is, can I use an axle that much more narrow with the wheel and tire combo I said or will the tire hit the inner wheel well or frame?

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about shoeboxes but the rear tires on my '54 Ranch wagon are a PITA to remove and its stock height with 215/78/15's. Also, any chance your rear shackles are flipped? When I changed the rear springs on the wagon I initially had the shackles in a down position. Popped them up and the ride was where it should be.

3. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I wondered the same thing but the shackles are in the correct orientation. The problem is the cars still at the guys house bought it from so I can't take any measurements at all. I figure if I can swing the narrow rear end that would give me about an inch and a 1/2 of extra room to squeeze those tires through, which I would think would be plenty of room. I could also buy skinnier tires, I just had 2 left over from my '51 Bel-Air since I bought a set of 4 but only needed 2 of them due to nails so I planned on using them

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  4. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Looks like since not a single person has used an axle thats more narrow than stock, I'll be the guinea pig.

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

I have the Maverick 8" rear in my 50 with 2" blocks. Running 205 X 15 radials and it's a tight fit. Have to put a bottle jack between spring and frame to remove tires. If you run bias ply tires 670 X 15 you probably wouldn't have to do that.

6. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

What rim width and back spacing are using? With the Maverick rear being the same width as stock is there any way I could get you to measure how much space you have between the tire and the inner wheel well/frame? If there's 3 or 4" of space before the tire touches then I'm in business with the S10 rear.