Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Getting upholstery trim to stick???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by udtoy, Oct 4, 2021.

1. udtoy

udtoy

I am trying to attach a strip of 1/4 inch aluminum half round bar stock as a decorative trim piece to my vinyl door panels. I initially used Weldwood HHR adhesive which worked for a while, but the trim started lifting. I then tried some 3M automotive double sided trim tape (can't remember which one) it started lifting after a few months too.
    What do the upholstery guys here recommend to get the trim attached to the vinyl?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Drill and tap for itty bitty studs.

3. Were the vinyl door panels cleaned with a silicon type cleaner? (Armour-all, etc) That may be why the adhesive is having a hard time sticking. Try cleaning with wax & grease remover, and maybe try contact adhesive. Also, make sure the aluminum is dead straight before putting it on, if it has a slight bow in it, that will eventually pull the glue off.

udtoy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I had horrible results with that weldwood

I like the Permatex automotive headliner adhesive. Comes in a big orange can with a dark blue lid. About $12 bucks at the parts store
    Elwood says…..
    This is glue, strong stuff!!!

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Nothing but a mechanical type fastener is going to work...
    Think about each time the door closes, The round stock wants to keep going (inertia)

desotot, udtoy, Cosmo49 and 6 others like this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

^^^^^^^^ This plus the different expansion rates of the materials.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Can you use an external body trim clip ?

If the moulding is homemade (no return flange on the backside) possibly use 3M panel bond / epoxy / JB weld to add studs. Tig weld would be best if you're set up for it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    udtoy likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Thank you very not so much, now I’m going to try to sleep without thinking of a polka dot bikini.

9. udtoy

udtoy

Thank you all for your opinions and replies. I'm going to work out a mechanical attachment. The stock is only .25 x .125 so not much room for threads. I'll experiment on some scrap with some "itty bitty" studs screwed in (#2 machine screws?). Tig would be great, but don't have one.

10. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Shoe glue, it is flexible.

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

For mini-studs(think bolts/machine screws w/head cut off), look at RC/Flying Model Airplanes sites. Also HO scale (Aurora, Tyco, ect.)cars n maybe train sites, good hobby shops will have this stuff, too. 4-40, & smaller. Get the right tap, nuts n machine screws. Run a couple nuts up near the head, install, maybe w/epoxy or JBWeld, then cut head off, dress cut, use the nuts as a die to straighten cut threads & redress w/a point file. Easy. One of the best hobby shops was AutoWorld, think they're gone. In MN, Hub Hobby is good.
    Marcus...

X-cpe likes this.
  12. If you countersink them, 4 oval head stainless screws wouldn't look out of place at all.

13. X-cpe

X-cpe

Push clips might be an option to small nuts.

X38 likes this.
  14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

"Push clips might be an option to small nuts." .
    Probably would. Shouldn't need threads for those, just a somewhat soft rod, correct dia for available pushclip size.
    Marcus...