Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Diamondback Auburn radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Man, Sep 3, 2020.

1. 4speed411

4speed411

Very pleased with Diamondback Tires...seem to be wearing just fine...I did buy a extra set for the rear but it looks like they will set all wrapped up for a couple years IMG_20190413_141308117.jpg

AHotRod, Tim and Elcohaulic like this.
  2. steveareno

steveareno

I too am very happy with the Diamondback radials with the bias ply look. I have big and littles on my 32 roadster. No troubles with mounting. Ride and handling is great.

AHotRod likes this.
  3. I’m glad you got them mounted, but personally, I would have installed radial inner tubes in the tires and mounted them. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I saw these on a friends '33 coupe today....they look fantastic, and by all reports drive very nicely. Well done Diamondback, well worth the wait. 20201017_124905.jpeg 20201017_124300.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stooge, Bandit Billy, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  5. Deuce Man

Deuce Man

Luvin my Auburn radials Rich

AHotRod and pprather like this.
  6. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

7. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see he mounted them with (what I consider to be) the back side out. I like the big lettering on that side but I would likely sand and polish the small billboard print off. I put a pair upfront on the 34 and installed the other side out mainly because I like the "beauty bar" on that side. They ride so good!
    upload_2020-10-30_11-0-46.png

fauj, WC145, Kiwi 4d and 5 others like this.
  9. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Those look great! I've even been considering the "smooth blackwalls". Totally different look.
    I'm definitely going to use the Diamondbacks. I like the wide whites on black stock wheels with no hubcaps and I like the smooth blackwalls on black stock wheels with hubcaps. Decisions....decisions

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Stooge

Stooge

Thanks for posting those @DeLuxe 32 and @Bandit Billy , ive been pretty interested in running blackwall auburn deluxe radials on my '37, but have a had a hell of a time trying to find pictures of them. I really like the look of them!

DeLuxe 32 and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

More Pics & reviews of Diamondback Blackwalls,5.50,6.50,7.50,8.20’s?
    These seem to be positive alternative to “the other” options.
    Just don’t feel good about going 80mph on a out-of-round, or no safety beads, no tubes?
    & at today’s costs, my expectations are: tires should be pretty fresh dates & round.

pprather likes this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ordered a set of DB 750x16 and 550x16 , they said lead time could be 4 to 5 weeks ,ok no drama. Dang they arrived within the week.

jim snow and pprather like this.
  13. Nine years ago I bought a set of Diamond Backs, wide whites, which are actually B.F.Goodrich that Diamond Back grinds off the lettering off the white wall side. Thought they were great until, in April this year, 100 miles from home, at 70 mph, the front passenger side blew out and could have killed me. 7,000 miles on the tires. I blame B.F.Goodrich. Planned failure and I'll never believe otherwise.

14. Key fact. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that radials have a limited life span time wise before they are prone to de laminating etc. Nothing to do with miles. At 9 years you were well into the danger zone. Tires themselves may have been even older.

54reno likes this.
  15. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

I agree it was the age. I replaced a set of tires on an off topic car last year because they were 6 years old. The tires had a lot of tread left but rather not chance it. The new set set me back $1800 not cheap but definitely cheaper than a crash

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  16. I fully realize that the tires were 9 years old and that everybody should expect their tires to blow apart at that age. But that's the point this is 2021 not 1946. When I made that point to the guy at diamondback tires that this day and age I'll never be convinced that tires can't be made that don't fail in 6 to 9 years he laughed and agreed and he said you know what if I came up with a compound and materials to make tires last until the tread is completely gone the big boys would come in and buy me out for 10 million and then throw my design in the trash can. BF Goodrich makes tires for 747s. You think those blow out before they're worn out? Of course if they made better tires they wouldn't sell as many so there you go........

I wonder how many people have died because of the industry's refusal to make better tires?

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

You got no facts ,just a tire conspiracy...;):D

dirt t likes this.
  18. I'm not going to argue about anything but, if tires were made to last triple what they do now, I'll bet they would be more expensive. They would be more expensive to make - possibly a lot more - and bean counters would also want to make up for lost turnover.

And people moan about the cost of them now. Everyone wants gold, until they have to open their wallets.

19. Auggie Dawgie

Auggie Dawgie
    from New Jersey

Reviving this old thread, but has anyone tried to get these mounted at a discount tire? I’m going to try and find an old school tire shop but can’t wait to get these diamond backs mounted.

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Hey Auggie, I have a slightly funny, slightly sad, slightly stupid, slightly maddening story for ya. I took my brand new Diamondbacks plus my old Diamondbacks mounted on steel rims to my local Discount Tire that I've used for years to get mounted. Of course I had to ask my married but beautiful neighbor for a ride to the store. Got them switched out and balanced, went back home. She dropped me off and I proceeded to put the rear tires back on my 49 Ford Coupe.. was just about finished mounting the first one when I touched one of the balancing weights and it moved. WTF? They were all loose. I had to call The lady neighbor again for another trip to the store. This is hard to believe but the manager explained that the new guy mistakenly put weights for aluminum wheels on my steel wheels. That ain't right.... So they rebalanced with the correct weights.

Auggie Dawgie likes this.
  21. Auggie Dawgie

Auggie Dawgie
    from New Jersey

That’s not too bad! So all in all it sounds like they won’t mess up the tires?

22. Messing them up should be of no concern.

Auggie Dawgie likes this.
  23. clem

clem

Surely any tyre store could mount them.
    If you have nice steel rims ask them to put the plastic caps on the claws of their machine so as to not damage the paint.

24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2