Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holly carb issue , I think .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Sep 26, 2021.

1. The one that fit !! Lol
    Hard to explain , but essentially it’s the one with an extra hole somewhat in the middle.but more to one side . “ clear as mud right :D
    The kit came with two, one that was more solid without the hole and the one that matched the one I took off with the hole.

427 sleeper likes this.
  2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I hope you washed that hood! ;):cool:

3. Deuces

Deuces

I've dealt with lots of #1850 600 cfm carbs, but never a -11...:rolleyes:

squirrel likes this.

4. E65FBB66-39EA-4870-8919-703B3CCEE1D4.gif

Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

I downloaded a sheet from Holley's web page...that only goes up to -10. From the date code, I'm guessing that it's from about 10 years ago, but that's just a guess.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If the intake gaskets are leaking like you said, NO amount of carb work will fix it. Lippy

ottoman, 2OLD2FAST, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  7. Be sure the accelerator pump diagram is not upside down also.If the diagram is upside down it will give the same symptoms as you are describing, hard starting ,wont idle , fall flat on its face giving it fuel .

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Actually, that air cleaner should provide good air flow for good performance. I don't know what's silly about it, but changing out to a cooler air cleaner might end up reducing air flow/hp

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and Joe Travers like this.
  9. @Blues4U your probably right about that , but I would like something a little less obnoxious

@squirrel that would sound about right as the last owner swapped out the old 302 for a for Ford crate engine about 7 years ago. Along with the tranny and a few other things.
    I got two photo albums with pretty much complete history on the car which is pretty cool.

Truckdoctor Andy, Deuces and Blues4U like this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I normally set float levels on internal adjustment floats by turning the bowl upside down, and setting the float to just under level. That ensures fuel slosh under acceleration wont get into the overflow passage on Holley carbs.
    The 4150 and 1850 have some similarities, but not sure how the "universal kit" covers both carbs, unless they give you a bunch of things you wont use on both carbs?
    Of course the intake vacuum leak is possibly the real culprit, and once it's fixed maybe the rest will be fine.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Why is Holley making carbs without their fuel level sight port and "on the fly" jamnut/screw fuel height adjust? Cost, I suppose.

That probably ain't the issue, but ... one of the problems today is a raft of defective fuel pumps. Gotta check that stuff now, where maybe before we could get away with skipping a few steps. If you look in the Tune-Up manual there is always a "wet height" carb adjustment after the carb is installed on the engine. The Holley design was excellent for that.

impala4speed and Deuces like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

it's a feature of their cheapest carb...so yeah, cost must play into it.

Deuces, milwscruffy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

*screams incoherently*

Having a product that should be infinitely adjustable with no proper tuning capabilities is just wrong.

14. You wear the name well " Mad Mike " LOL

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and MAD MIKE like this.
  15. When you adjust the floats, if you see a float "height" and a float "drop" specification, set them both. It may even mention a specific order in which to make both adjustments.
    ;)

Deuces, Truck64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I installed a Holley brand TricKit in my 4150 recently and it included a paper float level rule. I didn't expect to see that included but ventured the kit must cover another model # as well. Used them for years rebuilding Autolite carbs to set float levels. I'm assuming the new cheaper models are set like the old Autolite. On the 4150, I site the float just below the sight plug and work up w/ the float after start-up as well to prevent fuel slosh under initial adjustment with the sight plugs.

Joe

17. Budget36

Budget36

I see a few replies on what to do first, OP stated a “vacuum leak that could be heard” and found it with spraying the intake.
    Maybe play with float levels , etc while the intake is off;)

18. I'd bet a dollar the accelerator pump.diaphram is installed upside down , wouldn't be the first holley carb I have come across with this problem ,mostly by home builders !!!

19. I installed the accel pump diaphragm the same as what came out. The carb was apart before I got it so who know if it was in correctly to start with.

I got a gasket set coming , hopefully I got time to work on her on Sunday, I’m going to pull the carb off and check float levels etc with the intake off.

thanks for all the input.

427 sleeper, Deuces, Truck64 and 2 others like this.