Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm looking for someone to ship a 1929 Ford phaeton body from Springfield, MO to Boston, MA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

Hey good folks on the H.A.M.B. I'm looking for someone to ship a 1929 Ford phaeton body from Springfield, MO to Boston, MA. Thanks! phaeton.jpg Are any of the shippers here planning on a trip pretty soon? Thanks!

-Brent- likes this.
  2. 5window

5window

Nice, but I'm thinking you'll find that the cost of shipping will mean your buyer should look closer to home. it's 1400 miles. Good luck. Lot of shippers in Hemmings if the Hamb-o-Dex doesn't pay out.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Rent a U-Haul Box van for a few days, charge the buyer a reasonable fee, say $0.65 / mile - round trip, and have a fun road trip with your favorite gal (or guy, we don't judge these days), just make sure it is enough to cover expenses. Get some clam chowder, visit the USS Constitution, stop in at a few interesting places on your way back, etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. 5window

5window

A UHaul 10' truck is $19.95 a day plus $1.29/mile. Say 5 days roundtrip and that's $100 plus 2800 miles and close to $3000. Plus the cost of the body. I just don't see that as viable. 0$.65/mile round trip has you losing $1200 just on transport.

trulyvintage likes this.

5. Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I agree, but find a friend or use your own truck, way cheaper. I just did a similar trip, from Muskogee to Virginia, to retrieve a ot car. We had a blast, even took in a stock car race while we were out there.

Bones

7. I have included least a dozen bodies just like that (most were new from Brookville or Dearborn but that doesn't matter) along with a vehicle in the enclosed trailer & it is pretty simple. I have a rolling pallet with nylon bands on the steel wheels, so as not to scratch my trailer, that body & pallet would sit right on & winch right up into the front of the trailer before loading a vehicle.

Unfortunately I have no trips coming across where it is located & have my schedule set for a long time in the future already.

It should fit in the back of of a full size pickup, leave the tailgate down. I have helped lift bodies like this in the back of pickups before without the pallet & two guys (myself & another) can lift it easily.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

8. 5window

5window

Bill, I really appreciate you offering solutions, even other carriers, when you can't do it yourself. HAMB spirit!

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That sucks, used to be you could rent a U-Haul for a few hundred bucks with unlimited mileage as long as you returned it to the pickup location. Guess they figured out a better way of separating people from there money.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

If it were me shipping it with a common carrier, I wouldn't leave it exposed on a pallet like that, but that's just me. I've seen what Freight Monkeys can do to even the most carefully packaged items. Not sure what Fastenal's size limits are but ive heard of people using them for transporting some things.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. kb cookout

kb cookout

If you could remove the cowl and stand it on end in a crate,
    ( I use the free plywood and pallets from Rural King )

Fastenal should be able to ship it,

I just shipped a T coupe body that was taken apart with all the sheet metal , body wood and wood subframe to MS for $175

later kb

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and 5window like this.
  12. Mo rust

Mo rust

Thanks everybody. I think the buyer has decided to rent a "Pod". They'll set it in my drive and I'll have a few days to put the body inside and then they'll pick it up and ship it to Boston. It's 8' by 8' So I should be able to get it inside. He's not using the rusty gas tank or the rusty cowl sides so I can trim off some of the front if I have to.

Tman and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  13. IMO, leave the gas tank and cowl panels attached as they will add integrity to the body, and not affect the 8 foot length. Even in a pod, the body will get bounced around. We used a pod when moving from Connecticut to Pennsylvania, packed it tight, but things still got bounced around.

Just Gary and Tman like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hershey is weeks away, that body will fit in a pickup or large van, may take 2-3 transfers to get it home at a fair price. Bob

15. Mo rust

Mo rust

It's the buyers call on how he want's it shipped so I'll do my best to fit it in and secure it. If I have to torch off the front six inches, it won't matter since he has a good gas tank already and will buy cowl side panels for it. I've bought Model A bodies for years and this is the first time that I ever sold one.

16. 5window likes this.
  17. Mo rust

Mo rust

I asked the buyer and it's not cheap. A 7 x 8 pod going from SW Missouri to Boston was $1100

18. 5window

5window

He must REALLY want that body!

19. Budget36

Budget36

That’s not a bad price (IMO). I’d assume it would cost that much to ship a running and driving vehicle that far?

trulyvintage likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Considering the buyer is on the east coast and assuming the body needs minimal rust repair, the shipping cost probably pays for itself a time or two over.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

What am I missing? Fly in, rent a van/pickup, drive it home. Too busy? Hire some guy for $500. + a debit card for gas & food to do the above. It's done every day Connecticut to Florida.

22. S0meone should be available with an 8 foot pickup truck to get the body to Hershey, and someone else could bring it to Boston. Try Josh Fredette, he lives in New Hampshire not to far from Boston. his e-mail is < [email protected] >

The37Kid likes this.
  23. That is a very fair price seeing as how they
    drop off in your driveway ( I assume ) and pick up
    and then take it to his driveway and drop it off.

Jim

24. Budget36

Budget36

I think that would rival if not exceed the 1100 for the Pod.
    Besides, it’s the buyer taking care of it, Pod also seems a good way to protect the stuff as well.

trulyvintage likes this.
  25. 5window

5window

I just don't get what's so special about this body that the buyer is willing to transport it 1400 miles at a pretty decent cost. Please enlighten my ignorance.

26. Why are you even posting ?
    Are you trying to kill a deal ?
    The Buyer wants it - that’s good enough.

Jim

Hot Rod Nut, Budget36 and 57 Fargo like this.
  27. 5window

5window

Not trying to kill anything, just trying to learn/ understand. I clearly don't know the value and demand for this model body so I'd like to find out. It seems like the seller,not the buyer, is posting and I'll bet he's fine with however it goes.

28. phat rat

phat rat

One person could load that in the back of a pick-up or open trailer, I've done it many times. Simply stand it on it's nose and ease it down. If I can do it in my mid 70's you younger guys should have no trouble. This picture shows the rack system I built on my trailer and I've put touring car bodies on the upper level by myself using the method I just told about DSCN3353.JPG