Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using JB Weld on RivNuts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Sep 21, 2021.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure I posted this question before but I can't find it. I've attempted to use RivNuts on light gauge steel and they always seem to loosen in the holes which are drilled to the proper size. If I run a small bead of JB Weld under the head of the nut prior to squeezing it in the hole solve the problem?

Stogy likes this.
  2. Are you using steel or aluminum rivnuts? There is a better quality steel version that has more pronounced "teeth" on the back side. They seldom break loose. I doubt JB Weld would last long, it is not real structural.

Stogy, 302GMC, alanp561 and 1 other person like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

jb weld wont help

alanp561 likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use a washer that fits the rivnut to help add more material around the nut.

Stogy, Johnny Gee, alanp561 and 3 others like this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, and maybe glue the washer down.

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had any joy with steel rivnuts so only use aluminium ones. Never had a failure but they're never in stressed areas. The ali ones are easy to set with the pop rivet style gun / pliers.

Chris

alanp561 and fauj like this.
  7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I have never really had any issues with Rivnuts loosening. Choosing the proper grip length is critical. Also all Rivnuts are not created equal. I tend to buy aircraft quality Rivnuts from places like Aircraft Spruce or other aircraft suppliers. The same goes for rivets a world of difference from those purchased fro big box store.

alanp561 and fauj like this.
  8. I've had a few that were in areas that needed a bit more bite, but still non-structural, so I used a quick tack on the back side to stick them!

alanp561 likes this.
  9. millersgarage

millersgarage

if using steel nuts, you need the proper tool for install. The grip type tool does not have enough power to install the steel rivnuts. You need the two handle style

Stogy, Zax and alanp561 like this.
  10. OR the right combo of nuts and bolts. I only have one Rivnut setting tool and it is for bicycle water bottles. Everything else I set with the nut and bolt method and a couple wrenches. No problem with leverage there

11. Ben38

Ben38
    from Minnesota

I wonder if red loktite would help

alanp561 likes this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the help

13. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I use an Astro 1442 rivnut tool. Don't have issues with the nuts spinning. Does a really good job of fully seating them.

14. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

hey...i made my own (buick 350) single plane intake and it's held together with jb weld!!:D:D

alanp561 likes this.
  15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I use this tool and steel rivnuts.....I'm talking 3/8". I've used the bolt/nut/washer before and it works but you can use larger wrenches on this and with less effort tighten the shit out of it.....and I mean all the way down. I also drill my hole a 32nd less than spec'd and put the nut in with a ball-peen - this may not work for material with to light a gauge. Never had one come loose or spin.
    rivet-nut-hand-tool.png