Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech Week how to fill trim holes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Oct 4, 2015.

1. 55willys

55willys

I use a Whitney hand punch to make 16 gauge 1/4" plugs. I just use masking tape to hold the plug in place if I can't smash it to fit. Normally with a 1/4" hole and 16 gauge plug, a couple of whacks with the body hammer against the dolly will expand the plug to hold tight.

stillrunners likes this.
  2. To dredge up a slightly old thread... to hopefully add a bit to it. Just found this video and it had an excellent DIY way to achieve what I did with a Jewelers disc cutter. Hope it helps someone out.

David Gersic likes this.
  3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Where I used to work, we used these to punch shim stock so we just called it a "shim punch". I have one in my tool box.

Gary

4. NoelC

NoelC

Just thought I'd mention for clarity and understanding the cheap stuff used for gas welding has an AWS classification of R-45, isn't a deoxidized wire and should be used for gas welding low carbon steel only as a best practice.

The GTAW wire your using from Italy, AWS classification ER70s-2, it's a deoxized wire and one of a few in that class of wires that would be suitable.

Using the R-45 for GTAW will result in a porous, porosity filled weld when ground down.

55willys likes this.