Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Oh elders of the hamb, give me guidance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 12, 2021.

1. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Just look at it as the end of a chapter and move on to the next, doing what and when you want. It certainly is true that living expenses will gradually increase over the years but you can always find ways to supplement your income. Anyone looking 5 years down the road with a plan will do well.

redoxide and Roothawg like this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

They pick out your rest home should you survive that long !

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ha ha… the eternal optimist!

4. I am a big fan of the late comedian, Norm McDonald. Norm checked out the other day but he left us with this which I think is pretty profound advice at any age…

“The only thing an old man can tell a young man is that it goes fast, real fast, and if you’re not careful, it’s too late.”

-Comedian Norm McDonald

5. beatcad

beatcad

i got 15 years to go to retirement but here's the plan id like to follow.
    maybe 15 or 20 years ago an older cool retired fellow in my old car club used to be a part time parts driver for NAPA.
    he loved it. the pay wasnt much but he didnt care. he already had pension and SS. the job was stress free...dont give me shit, i'm just the driver!. the hours were great mon thru fri like his old job but only from 8 AM to noon. about the time you're getting tired of workng anyhow.. delivering parts to auto repair & body shops so he still kept connections...
    and he said the best part was the employee discount for parts he needed for his hot rods

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Be kind to your knees

7. And back.....

Jet96, impala4speed, Roothawg and 5 others like this.
  8. desotot

desotot

scissors

Roothawg likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Elders, halfway to 106...seems like you are one!

Roothawg likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

In my mind I’m 29.

Sancho, redoxide, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  11. Jones St.

Jones St.

Food/Water/Shelter. In the bank can be wiped out w/a digital crash. On hand is critical given the State of the Nation (go to that link) than ever.

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Got that covered also. Some invest in precious metals. I invest in copper jacketed lead.

Sancho, redoxide, olscrounger and 3 others like this.
  13. Roothawg ,
    Do you mean full metal jacket ?

Tommy

Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

olscrounger likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

7.62 X 39.00 MM....

16. Jones St.

Jones St.

Solar powered motion detectors. Inside too.

Deuces likes this.
  17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I retired in 2020 at 58. Really busted out the rest of the work on my 56 Pontiac to get it on the road. I bought a cheap RV this spring. Now if there is something that needs done that I do not have the tool for or I don't have a friend that does I'm not really interested in doing it.
    You noted you might work on the side.........where I retired from called not long after I retired and wanted me to come back to help with training. I said I wasn't interested. Early this spring they called and made an offer of pretty good money and I could work my old job when and if I want to.

I've been working maybe 4 days a month. I have worked most holidays so others don't get forced to. Time and a half. That has paid for my remodeling the inside of the RV, gas and camping fee's. I've found going to work one day knowing I don't have to go back tomorrow or knowing they can not force me on an off day makes it so much better. LOL

If you have things paid for (like we did also) you figure it out. You don't need the kind of money the "experts" claim you do in general. I do live in a pretty low COL area. I recommend retiring (or working on your terms) for everyone.

I don't miss the old way of life even for one second.

18. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I just turned 60 in August and hung it up on the last day of the month. Almost 3 weeks in and it is great so far. I have restored my Dad's old 1962 elgin jon boat, worked around here getting things caught up that I've been letting go, and have cut my blood pressure medicine in half. And it is better than in the last 10 years. I may not have as much mad money, but money is not the most important thing in life. Good luck to you and your decision. I put it off for 5 years, originally planning for 55. Wish now I had done it then.

19. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

What is this retirement thing you guys talk about ? I keep looking at the local obits to see if I'm retired but no luck yet lol . I at 59 have been self employed (one man show) all my life and in the area I live never made a lot of money but earned my own way and now before I get to much older have decided to sell my 2200 sq ft home here in pa and possibly buy a house in Tn which the realtor accepted my offer, but it's a big project. But the good news is I have all my equipment for carpentry and cars already so I don't have to buy anything and with the sell of my house I'll be able to be loan free with the new house , and it has garages and a barn. My dad used to tell me that the older you get the faster life goes by sadly he didn't tell me how fast .

williebill, redoxide, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds like a plan.

Deuces likes this.
  21. 4tford

4tford

I retired at age 57 and have dealt with the major house systems as said it was not a problem with my retirement income to do so. I would rather retire younger to be able to do more than worry I might not have funds for any issues I may face. I planned ahead and planned finances to feel comfortable to retire when I wanted. There is always that worry you won't have enough money but thinking like that you might work to you drop! It's been 18 years retired for me and I'm enjoying it!

Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  22. 73RR

73RR

You will get old, your body will tell you to slow down, and medical insurance will get more expensive. I have been 'retired' for 10 years but still work everyday and the 'ol bones remind me everyday. A solid investment plan with a CFP is essential unless you have a desire to live with your kids...on their terms. Stuff is just stuff, it can always be replaced so plan on retiring with your wife, not your shop.

Also, FMJ is useful but, if the SHTF, and there really is a distinct possibility, then you very well may need some barter material. I'd suggest 1oz silver coins/tokens....and the price has doubled in the last 3 years......

23. Gary,,,,very good advice.
    I had to reread the letters twice to understand all the words,,,,,LoL.
    You’re right,,,,,A very distinct possibility indeed .

Tommy

24. Deuces

Deuces

The way things look for me, I'm gonna retire piss poor broke..:(

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  25. LoL,,,I hope I can retire someday Dueces ,
    All my money is going toward doctors bills now,,,,I’m definitely gonna be broke .
    If I was in the Navy,,,I guess they would bury me at sea ,,,LoL.

Tommy

26. As stated several times above if you get your house paid off and have no other high interest debt, most time SSI is plenty to live on really comfortably. Get out from under those debts and you need WAY less to live on than you think. Now your biggest burden is taxes to pay for reelection campaigns. Then you hopefully have saved a tidy sum in a 401K or have a modest pension, although those are a thing of the past except for congressmen, senators and other hi ranking G'b'ment folks who get 100% pensions, to pay for all the fun stuff.

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It is early, I didn't retire until I was 69, not because I wanted to work that long but because my wife was diagnosed with MS, after many years of being misdiagnosed, and I needed to keep our insurance until she was approved for disability which happened to go better than it does for many folks as the guy that was on the case to approve her disability happened to be an ex neighbor kid so it went thru on the first application.

Deuces, olscrounger and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lot of good advice on here. Pay off everything, stash all you can prior to retiring. Retired from my career 19 years ago at 59 then went to the outside for 5 more years working all around the nation. During that period we stashed all the funds from the 5 years on the outside and contributed the max to 401k's as well. Wife also worked all those years as a Bank Manager and maxed out her 401 as well. No worries now-my pension, SS and the investment money which we have never used except at 70 I had to start the 401K deal-just pay the tax and bank the funds. If you have no debt you should be fine. Doesn't cost alot to live retired with no debt.

Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

So you're single?

30. 73RR

73RR

I keep telling my wife that I want a Viking funeral but so far she isn't keen on the idea...legal stuff she says....