Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1925 Chev Roadster Build, 2 are better than 1...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

yes those are the ones. Sorry I didn't go into the garage Sunday or Monday. Doctors have told me my migraines would go away in a couple of years. I'm 66 now and they started when I was 6 or 7. So anyway, being a retired professional engineer here in the states, I can sympathize with having to work with engineers. We are all the same, anal retentive!:confused:

Andjust watched the video, wouldn't that steer correctly down under?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Haha, I will pass on riding that o_O

All good, I understand what it is like living with migraines, I have been getting them since I was 14, thankfully for me they have been less frequent the last couple years. Engineers do get a bad rap probably because of that anal retentive nature ;). I found talking with the engineer on my first roadster to be good, if I had any questions he answered them. He asked me to follow the Street Rod Guidelines and when inspection time came the roadster passed. Some try to pull the wool over the eyes of the engineers and this is where some builds run into trouble.

Nah, still backwards..... but we'll tell people that it will steer normal :D:D

Outback, Stogy, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  3. The brake shaft, I will start the mounting brackets tomorrow. Shaft will mount roughly where sitting on the underside of chassis.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Outback, Okie Pete, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Bt chance are you putting the master cylinder on the other side? If not ok, but you did just give me an idea how to make room for my feet and all those fidly bits down there. Plus I think I can work off your idea, and hang the clutch pedal off it also...

See you can teach old engineers new stuff!:D

Outback, Jimmy B, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

While de-rusting my frame I broke the brake levers loose on the rear crossmember. I hope I can use them for the hand brake.
    My oldest son is a good & successful mechanical engineer the other one is normal. :D

Atwater Mike, Outback, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  6. [​IMG]

The master cylinder is forward of the brake pedal, this shaft is for the handbrake it will be linked to the handbrake cables. The design is inspired by a Miller race car shown below
    Happy my build can give ideas to help solve problems on other peoples builds. Really happy that what I am building can teach a retired engineer something, cool! :cool::cool:

[​IMG]
    That sucks, if it isn't usable look at model A I was looking at using something like this below before going with what I'm building now.

Are both sons helping on the build? Would be handy having your own personnel engineer to consult with.:D

s-l1600.jpg

Outback, Tim, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sorry, what I meant was I freed the swivels on the frame.They were stuck with rust and I got them moving freely. I hope to use a stock hand lever and rods to make them work.
    200710_0005.jpg
    The engineer son and I work on projects together often and it is handy but sometimes it makes us crazy. Right brain vs left brain sometimes we have to step away and have a beer. The other son is a super parts counterman we depend on him a lot.

8. That is good to hear the handbrake pivot unseized and useable, I assumed because it was rusty, it broke.
    Sound like you got it made with your sons able to assist in the build with their chosen vocations, beers are always good.

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I bought the Hot Rod Magazine. :cool:

Outback, FlatJan, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Started on the mounting brackets for the handbrake, should have it tacked together and mounted underneath in the next couple days, I will bolt them in. There will be a central support that will bolt to the rear radius rod crossmember.
    IMG_4834.JPG IMG_4835.JPG
    IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4836.JPG IMG_4837.JPG IMG_4838.JPG IMG_4839.JPG IMG_4841.JPG IMG_4842.JPG IMG_4843.JPG

Outback, Stogy, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  11. Awesome! That is a great mag to have. If you want scans of other SCTA program articles let me know.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, I may take you upon that. Loving the new build.

Stogy, loudbang and Jimmy B like this.
  13. Got the rear radius rod crossmember tacked together only taken 9 months. IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG
    this will have a bracket from the rear of gearbox bolted to it to make it a little more ridged

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Outback, Stogy, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  14. Just re-read your thread this morning. I’m really enjoying your build. If you start a build thread on the 25 T body, please post a link here so we can easily find it and follow along.

Outback, Okie Pete, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  15. Been slacking off lately, getting back into it. Trying to get the crossmember finished, now I have welded in the threaded plates I can now box these mounts hoping to flip the chassis next week to finish the bottom.

IMG_5242.JPG IMG_5250.JPG IMG_5251.JPG IMG_5257.JPG IMG_5258.JPG IMG_5259.JPG

Outback, brEad, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good to see Your back at it again.

17. Thanks Pete! Feels good working on it again.

So back at it I cleaned up under the chassis and hosed a lot of crap out of the shed.
    Last few days I have boxed radius rod and gearbox chassis mounts
    IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5272.JPG
    IMG_5275.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG

brEad, Stogy, Shadow Creek and 7 others like this.
  18. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that is a heavy duty bench to the left in the top picture. Is it cast iron ?

Stogy, Jimmy B and loudbang like this.
  19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the fact that You are using the Chevy 4 banger and transmission with the enclosed driveshaft. That’s something I wouldn’t want to attempt. I have issues with simple things like rocks ,sticks and tieing my shoe laces .

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  20. It is actually folded steel plate & is 8mm (5/16) thick and weights 150+kg (330+lbs). It was on my grandparents farm for 30-40 years. My dad said they got it from the Nimbin bakery and was some sort of roller for bread dough. It was striped of all the mechanicals when they got it. I cut the front out and put in the shelf. I use it as a welding table.

It has been easy setting up the running gear as everything bolts into their stock positions, the difficulties have been the non Chev parts and designing and finessing how things look. A bonus about using the stock/original running gear when I get the car inspected there will be less hoops to jump thru.

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I gained much appreciation for both closed driveline Chevys and my dad when we, HE, shortened the drive shaft in my '48 Fleetline for a tranny swap. We cut the shaft & torque tube and welded them back together. He rolled it on the shop floor and eyeballed it for straightness as he welded the shaft. No balance issues, no vibration, and it was still together the last time I saw the car years later. And then there is the solid racing history of the early Chevy four! :cool: How many Ford fours wound up with Chevy & Olds heads? Then there's the Frontenac heads for Fords designed by who?

Outback, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  22. That is cool story how your dad shortened the driveshaft, old world craftsman.
    The 3-port is often called the poor mans Fronty and definitely found its way on a few T's & A's. But the Chevy 4s were no slouch when they were reworked, they howled.

Some more progress on the roadster chassis, finished up the rear horns now need to do a little work at the front then I can flip it over and get to the hard to reach places.

BCD53098-59D7-4B96-9576-18B18424A79B.jpg

DE198E98-5665-406C-A696-E6BFB8169884.jpg
    DDF961C0-C0FD-4EB5-B165-B689D1CDDFF6.jpg
    A904A406-4002-4D4A-8D75-4FF9931A9508.jpg
    7C5700B4-984F-4024-BB98-E270F538D649.jpg
    7D176DF4-898A-47AF-998B-B2F5803E5B88.jpg
    292E313B-3D58-496A-93CD-C85EC5C4E40B.jpg
    Modified the RHD pedals to suit LHD configuration.
    80521CC8-4008-4A2C-B853-81E1385F6114.jpg
    84362614-4F5D-48AE-982B-BBAB8AE357A7.jpg
    I also purchased a stock T spring to replace the reset spring I had been using.
    20BE7968-0EB5-4FC8-B56F-54D4EA2E6AAF.jpg

Lastly everyone needs a build inspiration wall ;)
    2EC2CCA1-4970-4997-84D4-E2ED2FC4C57D.jpg

Outback, brEad, BrerHair and 6 others like this.
  23. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Very nice work on that cross member blending!!! I see that you have started your log intake. Too bad that we are not just up the road from each other, I think that I could have saved you some time on the LHD pedals and bell housing.
    Did not sink in "Lastly everyone needs a build inspiration wall" until the picture came up! So true! Where did you find the picture of the inclosed streamliner (cannot remember who's it was) without it's hood? Love it!

Stogy, loudbang, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  24. Thank you! The intake is one I started many years ago I may use it, hood clearance is the deciding factor. I may still be interested in the stock LHD pedals.
    The enclosed streamliner is Ralph Schencks. I saved it off the web years ago, my friend Terry restored it.

Stogy, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My dad was THE GUY you didn't want to tell he couldn't do something. Not only would he do it but he'd never let you forget he did it. :D
    Thanks for the detailed shots of the frame mods. It reinforces the changes I want to make.

Stogy, Jimmy B and loudbang like this.
  26. I have been a bit quite with updates as I have been waiting on some laser cut plates I drew up. Also have been working on dads '40 Chev truck and helping him with his new '69 ZC Fairlane. Hoping to get going on the chassis again this week, updates to follow.
    IMG_5623.JPG

Outback, Okie Pete, brEad and 6 others like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sons who help their dads with their projects will be blessed. Would you please send this to my sons?:D

Outback, brEad, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  28. Thank you! Yeah I help dad, it's my turn to assist him after his help over the years. Send a link to the thread and tell your sons to read the thread for a few hints!:D;);)

loudbang, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  29. I drilled out the rear gearbox to radius rod crossmember plate, made a cardboard pattern to get the angles right.
    IMG_5652.JPG
    IMG_5659.JPG

Outback, Okie Pete, Stogy and 7 others like this.