Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model-A Need Help with front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lpmorgan, Sep 15, 2021.

1. lpmorgan

lpmorgan

I recently purchased a 30' Model A with a drop tubular spring-over 48" front axle kit, I think its a 4" drop but not sure on that. The shackles are sitting almost vertical and I'd like to order a new spring to correct the shackle angle and lower the car a considerable amount. Right now with weight on the spring it measures 32.5" eye to eye and has either 6 or 7 leafs (I see 6 but can't tell if there is a 7th at the very top). How do I figure out what spring to order?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. That spring is definately too long, looks like the outward pressure has bent to mounts!

Blues4U and X38 like this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^
    Check with Posey / speed way Pete Jakes . Web technical
    I personally would replace with a Forged axle,
    Shackle should be around a 45°Ish angle
    That tube almost looks like exhaust which I know it's not ,but you can already see it's bent towards the wheel needs more structure.
    Nice looking A

Blues4U and clem like this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

I think eddy nailed it get a forged unit with spring with it speedway Pete an jakes has the whole set up. Don’t drop it to much or you will end up dragging your oil pan

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To answer your question, it's based on the distance between the shackle mounts on the batwings minus the shackle allowance. Both batwings appear bent. Perhaps an axle intended for a T bucket found it's way into your A? I would replace it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

At first I looked at the pictures and said you need a shorter spring. Then closer look the bat wings are bent and then the one side looks like it’s broken or separated from the axle weld? Nice looking model a and would recommend replacement of axle and spring. CE52C295-2098-4001-A98F-94A275BB6E72.png

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

With the chrome axle and plain spring, I'd say definitely mis-matched parts.

Gary

8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Think I would go with SoCal for an axle... There's are forged... Thinking about replacing mine for a forged one so I can set the proper camber...

9. lpmorgan

lpmorgan

Thanks for all the replies. I also think a model T axle is what's on here with a mismatched spring. What's the lowest I can go with an axle and spring kit? The front needs to come down about 4-5 inches

10. lpmorgan

lpmorgan

As far as the axle being bent or separated, that's just grease on there. I literally just got this thing home and haven't had a chance to clean anything up yet. Thanks for the input.

11. Get a reversed "EYE spring and a correct 4 inch dropped axle and you should be set

Blues4U likes this.
  12. You can get the tires tucked up in the fenders pretty good, like so
    29 a sedan - Copy.jpg
    But; besides an axle, spring, perch bolts, batwings, shackles and shock mounts; you will also more than likely need new shocks, steering arms, and maybe hair pins. If you get the front as low as it sounds you would like; you may find the back is now too high. At least it looks like Ford spindles in your picture; not the typical Chevy spindles found on T bucket type tube axles.

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't believe that you need a whole new front end.

It looks like you have 4o Ford roundback style spindles so that eases the pain quite a bit.

The axle isn't 'Model T but it might full and well be T bucket.

I'd just about bet a fifth of Jack that that is a trailer spring under that A. Not only too long but so damned stiff that it is beating the hell out of that axle and those rather suspect mounts. tube axle suspect (2).png

Leaf Trailer Spring — 4 Leaves, 3500-Lb. Capacity/Pr., Model# 12523 | Northern Tool

Those four thick leaves are typical trailer spring.
    What else I don't like is that pretty crude build job on those bat wings. Some dude cut those out with a hack saw an little more from the looks of things and then welded it up in a way that I would not trust the welds.

I'm another one who says get yourself a forged axle, matching spring and proper batwings for the hairpins and put it together and drive it and feel safe doing it. That Forged axle can be a dropped factory model A or other proper Ford axle or a So Cal or other forged axle. You should be able to knock the king pins out and swap the spindles over to the new axle and go.

Pete and Jake bat wings for Ford forged axle with hair pins if your hairpins work Part #1249A 2-1/4 inch Hairpin Batwing (pair) - Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Parts (peteandjakes.com)
    Pair of spring perches that go with those and the axle (you don't need shiny unless you want it though) Part #1042 Spring Perches (pair) - Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Parts (peteandjakes.com)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  15. lpmorgan

lpmorgan

Nice looking car, I like how low the front is on your car. The rear is actually setup with QA1 adjustable coilers, so setting the right height in the rear is very easy. Once I get the front down I'll adjust the rear.