Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 ford frame numbers ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Backyard Builder, Dec 16, 2006.

1. I have a orignail 1934 Ford frame, are there vin numbers on the frame? If so were are they located on it? I did a seach and could not find anything about this. Any help would be great.

CBB

2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

The serial numbers for 33/34 ford cars and trucks are located on the top of the drivers side frame rail about where the steering box is located. Should have a star and start with 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  3. Thanks, I looked at both side's figuring that is were it should be and saw nothing. But there is a lot of old paint on it.

CBB

4. The ID numbers on a 34 frame are in three different locations. One set of numbers, and the only ones you can see with the body bolted to the chassis, are right above the steering box. If your working with a bare frame, body off, the second set are right in front of the B-piller, the third set of numbers are at the start of the frame kick-up, over rear axle. All ID numbers are on the drivers side frame rail...Ed

5. Ed, yes it is a bare frame right now. Wow, there are three sets of numbers? I just dug the frame out this week, I need to get out there and get a good look at the frame. I dont remember ever seeing any.

Thanks for the head's up,

CBB

6. Are they all on the top edge like the ones above the steering box?

CBB

7. If you can't find the numbers by the steering box, let me know and I'll take a picture of my frame tomorrow...Ed

9. Thanks, Ed. I will let you know if I cant find them, it does make me feel better that they are in more than one place.

CBB

10. So, I went out and wire wheeled the top of the frame rail and found nothing. What is up with that?

CBB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  11. TimDavis

TimDavis

They could be anywhere along that area -not just directly over the steering mount.

12. I thought the same thing, so I cleaned from the front crossmember to were the rear kickup starts. I didnt see anything..........

Anybody have any idea's?

CBB

13. LFS11

LFS11

I've got a 34 and trying to do some research. Numbers stamped on the frame rail do not start with 18 but 97? Anyone have any ideas as I'd like to know more about the car.
    Thanks

lowride likes this.
  14. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine serial number was the identifier Ford used, once the engine was installed in the frame the engine serial number was stamped on the top surface of the left frame rail in three locations shown in the attached figure. V8 passenger cars had 18 for the prefix and 4 cylinders used the letter B. 1934 V8 serial numbers ranged from 18-457478 to 18-1234356. I do not have the 4 cylinder serial range but the serial following the B was seven numbers beginning with 52.

The frames I have looked at only have the prefix on the stamping next to the steering box, the center and rear stamping do not. I've heard some frames do not have the prefix on any of the locations, do not know if this is true. For what it is worth the 18 on my '34 is stamped much shallower than the rest of the number and is very hard to see.

Regarding the frame starting with 97. If the 97 is the first of 6 numbers then the frame does sound like it very well could be a '34 V8 that was built in mid-June.

Attached Files:

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  15. LFS11

LFS11

Thanks for the info!! I'll look closer for the prefix as the only numbers I found were by the steering box. Curious, where did you look up the info for the 97? From what I can see it's 7 numbers long to add to the complexity.
    Thanks again!!
    L

16. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

The numbers can be almost impossibe to see sometimes, I have also seen frames that were not stamped!......Keep in mind that these cars were built by men, working hard to keep the line moving.....It is very possible that your frame never got stamped. Also alot of hot rodders when they would use a aftermarket frame would grind the original numbers away, So that whoever ended up with the original frame did not try and reuse the number. That could also be why You can't find any numbers.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

All the numbers are configured with a five-pointed star, 18(if V8) or B(if 4cyl), a dash, the sequence numbers, a five-pointed star.
    On the original car this number set would be on the bellhousing of the original transmission, and 3 places on top of the driver's side(LH here in USA) frame rail.
    The numbers under the body may or may not have the stars and 18 or B prefix. They should have but many do not.
    Often sandblasting is the only way to "bring" the numbers out on a frame rail, but I had a 40 frame that the numbers were deep and distinct, all three, though the frame had been in the weather for decades.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  18. Magfiend

Magfiend

What about frames from countries that are right hand drive? Did they stamp on the other rail?

19. uncle buck

uncle buck

To throw a twist in the subject, I have a Canadian built 34 phaeton and the vin number clearly starts with a *C18_ - _ _ _ _*

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  20. verde742

verde742

do NOT use rotary wire brush just use 80 grit or lesser, wire brush takes paint OUT of the numbers,
    you want paint to stay in numbers to be seen with slight sanding .
    paint it again with thick coat then sand lightly
    my '34 frame had number on rear crossmember as well as other three locations.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

That looks like the bottom of the frame rail judging by where the steering box holes are

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of those numbers were stamped pretty light and are all too easy to damage with a wire brush or other too.

Tman likes this.
  23. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

Mine by the steering box were barely able to be seen, the others were not, even with scraping and sanding. When I sandblasted the frame all three were there. None start with 18 or B, just a star, six numbers, and a star.
    All match.

24. mvee33

mvee33

Yes. I have a right hand drive Australian assembled 33 Model B, it is stamped on the right side chassis rail above the steering box and also on the block, star B51 etc.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  25. 34Larry

34Larry

I was the first to take mine completely down since brand new. It was in '99 when I took
    the body off the frame. I only found but the one set of numbers, and that was at the steering
    box location. They start out with (2) stars stamped very lightly with the first almost not visible and getting deeper as they proceed. I hand brushed the entire top parameter, power wire brushed the rest.

26. The locations may vary some because the numbers were stamped by a guy with a hammer and a set of number stamps. The serial number was assigned to the engine/trans unit. When that engine/trans unit was bolted into a chassis, the guy with the hammer and number stamps would copy the number off the bell of the trans case onto the frame rail.

27. Scormier

Scormier

I have a 33 5 window coupe and the number starts with a CB prefix. So I’m assuming that it was originally a Canadian built car with a four cylinder?

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It COULD be a one-time new over-the-counter frame for body shop wreck replacement.
    An older guy than me told of Model A frames that happened with... Body shop was supposed to stamp the numbers into the new frame, but sometimes didn't.
    I have one of those... ('30-'31 Model A) Searched for numbers, frame is cherry, would have found them if they were there.
    Wife and both daughters and a shared magnifying glass. Nothing.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope that the OP found his numbers in the intervening 7-years.

Tman likes this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Nope, he still spends the evenings searching for those numbers.

irishsteve, gimpyshotrods and Tman like this.