Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4 cylinder mercruiser-engined cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis g, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. 34Phil

34Phil

Just curious, does the 153 share the same frame mounts as a v8 if I do a swap?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The stock 4 cylinder mounts are hard to find so something must be different but they do mount from the side of the block much like the V8s of that time.

4. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

sorry but NO! you will have to fab your own mounts

Attached Files:

5. Attached is my version of Jersey's mount in my AVATAR. I bolted a piece of angle iron to the frame and welded the brackets from there. I used the stock GM mounts on both sides of the engine. IMG_5528.jpeg

Six Ball likes this.
  6. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

those big soft mounts are surely helping keep the 4 banger vibe's to almost nothing . nice work There,

real world it's so simple a motor to stick in A bone , as it simply fits like a factory glove, flywheel back is all stock v8 chevy making matters even easier ,

Six Ball likes this.
  7. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Six Ball likes this.
  8. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

nice but you also need to find the alloy finned lifter cover to help compleat the matched looked.
    yes mercruiser cast a finned side cover for both motors the 4 and 230/250 inline 6's

Six Ball likes this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

....And then painted them black. :eek:

10. Got a set for my 153 :D

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have a set I'd part with.

12. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

been reading or trying to read back though this thread,saw a few ?'s about using a auto trans
    yes one could use a auto trans possibly a powerglide a t350 even a 200r4 behind it. flywheel back is all SB chevy
    the early motors with a 2 piece rear main seal used the old 12 3/4 inch flywheel so one could use a older sb flex plate,the later engines with a 1 piece seal use a 14 inch flywheel that uses that bolt pattern different from a early sb 1 fails to fit where the other sat,
    the issue i see would possibly lay in what camshaft one uses one with a curve that would be more suitable to using a auto trans with street gearing

for a side note the last few years gm made this motor ( Gm's longest production built ever ) it only used the 8 port head some of which used a mpfi kit one could get from gm, even had crankshaft speed sensors like a LS . motors made for forklift trucks/water pumps and generators used the 5 port head making the use of a intake and header from clifford a easy bolt on dream as they share the same intake gasket the 153 chevy 2 and PO jeeps used .
    the biggest issue with one of them lays solidly in the worthless camshaft , these motors are done with power by 3.000 rpm and only make 74 hp running lp and by 1800 running NG where it only makes 50 hp.the cam is all about low rpm torque

these motors besides recamming to a street race or a useable marine grind if one gears the rear to around 4:11's to stay in the power curve i would fully rebuild it before using.

for engine parts i have personally used http://greenbaypartsworld.net/marineenginekits.htm with great results and great prices as they will put a RB kit together to what you need. 1 item i use when rbing a dished piston motor opt to use volvo penta flattops which raise the compression to 9.5 from 8.75

Attached Files:

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Some food for thought there, Thanks. The Volvo piston tip is good. Is that for 153 & 181 bores? Gears and cams are critical with these little guys. Being honest with yourself as far as the REAL use the engine will see is pretty important too.

14. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

the volvo flat top pistons are for the 181 inch that uses a 4 inch bore,
    i have had people say it's a 327 flattop. sorry not so there are zero valve reliefs .
    i personally built the motor jersey suede has in his 28 pickup, lance and i learned a lot about them how to,what to use what works like the marine cam,
    the cam dose work only one needs to keep the R's up about about 1800 where it then pulls solid to 4500 .4:11 gears with a 5 spd trans help a lot

Attached Files:

Six Ball and Hotrodmyk like this.
  15. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

i hear that! yes it may seem small when we all seem to use the old faithful SB
    but it simply fits with zero firewall mods , zero linkage issues, done right they idle sounding like a camed Sb and a stock 4 banger on acceleration

Six Ball likes this.