Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by insinna, Sep 12, 2021.

1. insinna

insinna

Picked up a 28 Chevy that im planning on making a hot rod out of.... Never built a frame before so i have a few questions... What width front and rear axles should i look for? .... Planning on open wheel... Thanks FB_IMG_1630979689610.jpg

anthony myrick likes this.
  2. Chevy had a frame that really was a ladder. Shouldnt be hard to build compared to a 32 Ford. A Ford cross spring axle looks best on a fenderless car,but you could run twin springs like the original,and add a tube axle.I would run fenders if you have all 4 ,but thats just me.Chevy"s being a termite trap makes them stand out at any show/run.

vtx1800 likes this.
  3. Look up 28 Chevy chassis specs.
    Add a Model A front x member and 32up Ford axle set up
    The rear depends on body width and wheel offset/width

4. Find you a front axle assembly out of around a 46-48 Ford car, they have good brakes. Split the wishbone. 8" rear end from a Ford maverick or mustang. 2X3 .120 wall makes a good frame, and not crazy expensive. You can still find a model A frame for a good price

5. insinna

insinna

Thanks for the replies.... Didnt mention that i also have the 28 chevy bare frame...

6. Cool.
    If ya want a clean looking front end for a fender less ride. You can add a Ford front xmember for a transverse front spring set up

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. WalkerMD

WalkerMD

Please keep it Chevy as much as possible. Front axle from 48-54 pickup, rear axle from similar year gm car. Others will know better than I what works but it can easily be done.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Standard track width on all prewar cars was 4 feet 8 inches or 56 inches. Later cars vary. If you want to use wider than stock tires and keep them under the fenders you might even go an inch or 2 narrower.

10. Gm car
    Ford axle set up.
    (Also on a Ford chassis)
    Cleans up the front
    1F663E52-57A8-4816-A185-16999234F305.jpeg