Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roadster - electrical issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ATX, Sep 11, 2021.

1. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

A few months ago my roadster would not start. After trying for probably too long, it sounded like the starter burned and looked like it too with copper dust. I have since had the starter rebuilt and replaced the solenoid. This morning we put it back together and when the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump buzzes, but the starter does not turn, click, etc. The car is wired with two circuit breakers and no fuses. Can anyone help guide in the right direction? Thank you!

kidcampbell71 and Frankie47 like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just fill in info,for others? Is it 6volt or 12 volt set up?
    Is fuelpump a mec,or 6vote or 12 volt?
    Did you test starter off the car on bench ?
    Is wiring bunched together,an do you see any melded spots/brown spots,excet!
    Did you try ,taking power off fuelpump< if its a 6or12 volt to remove maybe a short?

3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

>> "A few months ago my roadster would not start. After trying for probably too long, it sounded like the starter burned..."

Did you charge up the battery before trying the new starter?

4. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

With a charged battery. Jump directly to the starter, jumper across the solenoid, put voltage to the solenoid's ing. switch termanle post.

5. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

I am going to try now. Will follow up.

thank you!

dana barlow likes this.
  6. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

I disconnected fuel pump and still nada. I am charging up battery now to make sure not just short of cranking amps. Before changing the solenoid I had it jumped to my truck battery, but since changing solenoid have not connected to another battery.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple easy things first before you start looking for complicated things.
    Battery fully charged --?
    All wire connections in the circuit hoked up correctly and having clean metal to metal contact?
    That is both battery post connections, the cable to the solenoid, the cable from solenoid to starter, the ground cable connection on the block/frame or what ever.
    Wire to S post on solenoid connected?
    If it has sat for months the terminals could be corroded, Batteries do often go down when they sit. Sometimes we disconnect a wire for a good reason at the time but forget to connect it back later.

dana barlow and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  8. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

Left it on trickle all night and fired right up this morning. Must have been solenoid originally and battery more recently. Thank you guys very much for the assistance!

HotRod33, TrailerTrashToo and Deuces like this.
  9. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Damn that is a snazzy plaid cup holder!