Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I tow with airride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grumpy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

one thing on the transmission issue, it's generally recommended NOT to tow in overdrive in the first place, no matter the rear gear. the tranny will be happier in 3rd gear.

2. Killer

Killer

No way!

gawddamn... off hand, I can think of at least a dozen guys I know who tow with airride....

My buddy Jeffs dually is one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

3. Bazooka

Bazooka

Gator and Grumpy your cars are bad ass. Love that wagon and Elko.

I'd like to add I have had several trucks setup with air ride never had a failure. If properly set up and used correctly (not abused) they can be very reliable.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Well, Thanks for keeping this alive.

I guess I knew I could tow with it, but needed to hear it, and the pros/cons thing.

I just need to make sure I have the right fittings, check it on a rack when air'd down to double check clearance etc.

The little 1965 Shasta camper we bought is only 12', well, 14.5' with the tongue. So it's not like I'm pulling a car trailor loaded. The Shasta can't weigh more than 1800-2000lbs. loaded.

Now I have to find a hitch that will work.

Thanks all.

5. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

all the semis and big trucks ive seen with air ride didnt have regulat leaf springs they were leaf springs only bolted to the frame in the front used like trailing arms...
    [​IMG]

6. 59 brook

59 brook

just my .02 here .my wagon has bags never towed with it but never had a problem with the bags either and the ride is great. my expedition has an air suspension for towing and it is the greatest thing you can want. load the trailer correctly .start the truck up and it will level out the load .drives incredible towed a car from fla to canada and back thru ny down 95 to fla and it handled great. even had a tire blowout at 75 mph and truck just handled it fine .talk to the guys at air ride technologies while they aren't the cheapest they seem to make quality stuff. dont get crazy with air pressures and you should be fine