Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T on A : Fjant the complete novice builds a hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fjant, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Looks like a great start!

2. The rear fixings through the subframe in the T body are quite close to the width of the A body. They're close enough that an M8 bolt will fit and that will align the axle in the rear wheel well. Once bolted down you can remove them and redrill for a 3/8". Or not.

A tonneau gives you a handy sized space to store a ton of stuff on a run.

DSC_1561c.jpg

Outback, 1biggeorge, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  3. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

That sounds great. I have started to try to align the body, but then I have a great point to start! Thanks very much!

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

4. Fjant likes this.
  5. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Hi!
    A little update. I haven't got much time to work on the car. During the small hours I have been in the garage thus far I have cleaned it out, sold some old parts that I don't need for this car and finally making some order among my tools.

So this update is about a little purchase I did the other day. I really did not have any plans to buy an engine anytime soon, but this 24 stud appeared at third of what they usually go for. The seller had gotten allot of calls and mails, but I was first. The engine is complete and was pulled from a running -39 murc. It has a Volvo four-speed with an adapter which suits me very well.
    Well now it seems verry boring to make it run as an original first just tog get it okey for inspection.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Outback, Tman, 1biggeorge and 22 others like this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool build !

Fjant likes this.
  7. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Great score on the fatty. I like the touring car, and it won't take much to make the back seat perfect for your kiddos.

Outback and Fjant like this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Great score. I like the oil filter bracket.

Fjant likes this.
  9. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Latley I have been in the process of recreating some of the bodys structual parts that was gone. And at the same time straightend the body.
    I have also welded in a kind of a new subframe that folow the model A frame, so that I can use the original mounting points in the chassis.
    I have also renovated the door latches. Took them apart and have them a citric bath befor instaling new springs and painted them.

I don’t have lots of tools. But so far I manage with not much more than a mig-weld, a vice, a drill and an angle grinder.

I have also installed new lights in the garage wich make it soo much easier to work when I can see what I’m doing!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Shop looks good. Keep up the work, slow, but sure

jim

Fjant likes this.
  11. Are those lights LED's? I replaced the fluorescent ones in my garage with LED's and could have used half as many.:D Great work on the car and keep plugging away.:)

Lil'Alb likes this.
  12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

They look LEDs. I replace those in my shop with LEDs and actually found stuff I didn't remember.

Jet96, warhorseracing and nunattax like this.
  13. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Hi. Well I had a bit of a pause on the car. I have been rebuilding a vintage corpse of a caravan to a flower-shop for my wifes sidebuisness during spring and summer.
    I have been starting up i the garage with the Ford now again with some small things. Last night I spent grinding and finishing the headlight stand. I’m very happy how it turned out. Specially since the starting point was very crude. the car had a cut down bar when I got it, but just the frame mounts and the bar between. The rest was cut of. I used a steering rod and the headlight holders from an old plymouth 31 project. But it needed A LOT of work to fit the ford lights and look desent. My plan was to do something quick, functional but that could be crude and ugly. But it actually turned out quite nice.

Attached Files:

14. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Nice work on the bar

Fjant likes this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Looks good.

Fjant likes this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I hope you are planning on running that Whippet looking grill !

17. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

yes! I’m planing to ger the car running and to ger it licenced for the street first. After that I will start hot rodding it. And a big part of that is to use the Whippet grill. It have been rebuilt to fit a Ford flathead V8 somtime in the past so grille and engine will be swapped at the same time.

18. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

hello!
    I don't write here often but I do work one or a cuple of nights a week whit the car. Compared to more experienced persons I guess I'm very slow. But I do progress and things happening, wich makes me happy.

Here are some pictures of things I've done the last cuple of month or so. A mong other things I have done the things listed below.

-I bought a new steeringbox (up to steering wheel). my last one was a 28-29 model that was VERY worn. No I have a pretty thight 30-31.
    - added taillights. chevy.
    -started working on chockmounts in the rear, these will be finnished pretty soon.
    - did a floor.
    - bent the pedals to match the T-body.
    - working on the exhaust last night. will finniching that up next time I'm in the garage.
    - did a lot of work on passenger side window window stanchion. It was cut off the lowest inch and not as straight as it needed.

I also bought a complete 1940 rear end. I did get a very good price on it and it was just a 30 min rid away. this will be a part of the future V8 conversion. 1.png 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

19. j hansen

j hansen

Looks good!

Fjant likes this.
  20. Keep plugging away!

Fjant likes this.
  21. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Looks good. I'm having a bit of down time and can't do anything on mine. Keep up the good work.

Fjant likes this.
  22. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Thanx guys!

23. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Spent the evening completing the rear chock mount. Built of a pice of U- profile steel I had and bit of an old steering rod. A600CF14-AF04-4536-9D81-5A7DF8870B39.jpeg 804E31A9-C850-439B-95FC-150DF26C276D.jpeg 1C5EE72C-C9FB-4F1F-9107-40CEA59EFE59.jpeg 38A5BE4F-C6ED-4246-85C1-1BCFBA1BF749.jpeg 0E1EAF72-F3CE-4C9D-A7EE-C1B9F809C643.jpeg

24. spanners

spanners

Great work so far. That shock bolt will have a lot of stress on it. You may need a small gusset on top if you can fit one.

25. I don't know Maybe dumb luck but about 20 years ago I drilled a hole in the face of my crossmember, stuck a bolt through with a spacer between it and the shock. Hasn't cracked out or broken off yet. Isn't even welded. I got the idea from another guy that did the same job long before me.
    Body change April 2011 003.jpg

26. Kume

Kume

I like your floor board mods - I may have to rethink mine now.

27. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

yeah. I was thinking about doing that. Made a templet yesterday actually. I might do so.

Okie Pete and j hansen like this.
  28. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Thanks. I got a little bit more room for the legs than stock.

29. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Looks clean. Then mine should Holding up fine I supose.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  30. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Hello. I thought I would post some pictures of what I’ve done the last six month. Not a lot of progress but I have been working on and of for the most part. And even if it’s not musch to show for, I guess the post will serve as a diary for my self.

Got a pice of a rubber matt from my father in msw that was left over from building a pond. Perfect to cut a strip and place between frame and body.

On the cowl someone had (by the looks of it) smashed a hatchet a bunch of times. After looking on a lot of videos on sheet metal repair I got the guts to try it my self (no previus exerience at all on sheet metal repair or welding). With hammer, dolly and the Mig welder I manage to get the dents and holes to almost dissapere. Wich made me real proud.

The dash was in really bad shape. Had dents, rust and the edges had been reshaped with some heavy force and was bent and cracked. My first plan was to just drill some holes for my planed gauge panel, but it did not fit as planed. And with my exitement over the cowl repair I put a lot of time on the panel to make it nice.
    I had a little setback when I mounted the gas tank and realized there are almost no room between the dash and the tank. So the speedometer did not fit at all. (I also had to shorten the hand brake lever about 3 inches to clear the tank).
    So now when I got back on the car after the summer brake I started to reshape the dash to make a model A panel fit. I think I will work fine. And working sheet metal are great fun!

Attached Files: