Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions on building grilles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Sep 8, 2021.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Bouncing around on my model A as I wait on parts, on metal, on money etc. So now I'm bouncing around to the front and looking at how to build my grille.

I see, at this point anyway, I have 2 popular choices- stainless or aluminum. Maybe regular steel stock as time goes on should I decide to paint the grille.

I figure with stainless or aluminum I can polish it and make it shine. And I do have a tig, just can't tig worth crap.

Anyway anyone have or know of a good tutorial(s) that show ways to build a grille?

I'm using a 31 commercial grille shell I shortened by 3" and redesigned the bottom of the opening so there is no aftermarket grille going to work so custom built is my only choice.

So if anyone could point me down the path to enlightenment, grille wise, I would greatly appreciate it!!

2. Model A's don't have grilles.

26 T Ford RPU and warhorseracing like this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model A's were not designed to take a rock hit to the radiator at 75mph.

VANDENPLAS and lostone like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind that stainless steel can add up to something quite heavy.

I had a customer ask for a Riviera grille in stainless, instead of the aluminum I suggested. It ended up being about 45lbs.

lostone, fauj and '51 Norm like this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys for the replies.

Fastcar appreciate the links but no real how to build info there. Just different things used.

Gimpy, good point. I will keep that in mind. So that means I'm leaning towards aluminum then !!

8. Lots of people use expanded metal to hide their Mustang radiators. it comes in many metal choices and configurations, you just cut it to fit.

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, lostone and dana barlow like this.
  9. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this this isn't what you are trying to accomplish. Its questionable, if it really is that effective as a stone guard.

DSC_3164 (2).JPG

jimmy six, lostone and fauj like this.
  10. It'll keep the big pieces out. LOL

lostone, fauj and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. Looks like it works, it appears to have caught several bugs;)

lostone, fauj and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. I have used Model A stoneguards cut down as an insert in a comercial shell. One on my T and another I have on the wall

lostone and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McNichols will cut woven mesh to size. Woven and Welded Wire Mesh | McNICHOLS® (800) 237-3820 I have no idea of what the cost for a cut piece is though.

McMaster Carr is the easiest place to get along with when you want small orders of something like a piece of stainless steel screen of a certain size and wire diameter woven wire cloth | McMaster-Carr
    If you would rather cut and fab your own rather than cut down a ready made rock screen. Theirs won't come polished though.
    Back in the pre internet days someone showed how to weld up a 32 style grill using round stainless rod in a magazine article but when and what magazine is long lost on me.

lostone likes this.
  14. 6sally6

6sally6

A 'tip' about TIG welding...........If you get a nice tight fit TIGing it together is a snap. Throw a gap in the mix and it becomes a bit of a challenge.
    Anytime you TIG weld it needs to be clean-clean-clean! No paint-no rust-no oil-no oil from your fingers even is better.
    Put the 'heat' on the thicker of the two pieces to be welded. Let it start to melt into the thinner piece and then....just a dab of filler rod.
    Stainless takes 308 or 316L filler rod OR...309 if TIGing stainless to mild steel.
    Stainless filler rod works on mild steel but NOT 70S2 (mild steel filler rod) for stainless.
    You DON'T need a foot pedal to weld steel OR stainless! Just set your heat and go. Aluminum welding you do.
    If you can solder you can TIG
    6sally6

lostone and fauj like this.
  15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys,
    6sally6 yeah I need to practice, alot, but I really need to figure out the feeding with one hand while using the torch with the other.

I have mig welded for just over 40 yrs so I figured tig would be a piece of cake! boy was I wrong, at least for me.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

17. 6sally6

6sally6

Don't run a bunch of amps/heat. Low amps gives you plenty of time to watch the puddle form and dip in the rod.
    Too much heat and your rushing to dip the filler wire before you blow through!
    Argon gas coverage turned down pretty low when welding in doors with NO fan blowing.
    Don't rush your self.
    Get comfy...rest your hands and arms on something...get the torch 'just' close enough...rest your filler rod hand on something (don't need a glove on that hand)....maybe get someone else to click on the button..and off.
    Use a no.#11 lens....get your face in close to watch what your doing....
    Relax!
    6sally6

18. I used perforated steel sheet with 1/4'' holes...just an idea. JW
    [​IMG]

19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Fastcar thanks ! that is the type of info i am looking for!
    6sally6 thank you for the info, I am always willing to learn!
    26 T that looks nice, but I'm actually leaning towards either think flat bar or round rod style grille.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.