Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tail gate latches

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Great Grandpa Smith, Sep 9, 2021.

1. New to the forum here and first of all want to thank all of you for the posts that over the years have helped me with my projects. I don't understand how with all the posts some of you do how you get time to work on your own projects, however I sure do appreciate the time you spent on them. I hope at some point I can return the favor.

Am building a 29 model pickup street rod as a daily driver. I am trying to make it as secure to use as a modern pickup. Am looking for ideas for tailgate latches. More like a modern truck that I can put at the top corners of the tailgate and have a center handle for operation. I have seen several that have used paddle locks in place of the stock hooks and chains used on the stock truck, but I want something different.

I build on a budget, that is part of the fun. I do as much of my own work as I can short of machine work on motor parts. I rebuild transmissions, rear ends and do my own paint, bodywork and upholstery. I can fabricate almost anything, but don't have much equipment. Just time experience and patience. Was a master fabricator and prototype machinist in the late 70's but left the car world in the mid 80's to pursue a career that would pay the bills. Have worked on everything from pulling tractors, drag cars, printing presses for artists and even a rocket powered motorcycle for the human fly. In later years got back into cars and enjoying retirement working at my own pace on what I want to work on.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There a lot of types,but old simple always worked an can make it your self!
    upload_2021-9-9_17-54-47.jpeg

3. hudson48

hudson48

I have seen where a seat belt setup is used as a latch. When I was in Detroit and visited Chuck Millers place he had done that on one of his cars.
    seat belt latch 1.jpg Seat belt latch.jpg

catdad49, nunattax, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.

4. Budget36

Budget36

One issue you’re facing is the old tail gates like you have are single panel.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Are you planning on covering the top of the bed too? I'm not sure securing the tailgate is worthwhile when everything is so easily accessible.

6. I did the seat belt latch thing on a o/t s10 I had years ago worked out great .

catdad49 likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

@Tman I know the OP mentioned street rod, but what he’s after is more akin to shaving door handles/ etc on a custom.

nunattax and 6inarow like this.
  8. I know, I was nice ;)

Roothawg and Budget36 like this.
  9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

An A is easy enough to reach both sides at once, and being single panel I'd lean to the seatbelt method.

10. And you are correct! Plus, the chains will hold the gate level so you can sit on it! win, win

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read that answer to your self out loud and then stop to think that all of us with tailgates that swing down on our trucks have to have a way to keep them in place if they are closed and many of us hate them damned chains that screw up your paint the first time you do a road trip.

The seat belt latches have been around for a long time. They work pretty well.
    A simple and not spendy solution would be a couple of hardware store barrel bolts just use the working part and drill a hole in the the bed sides for the rod to go in View attachment 5166213

Possibly attach them with panel bond or some other strong adhesive so you don't have to drill holes in the tail gate.

Attached Files:

warhorseracing and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I like the original chains. Easy and they work as advertised.

Bandit Billy and Tman like this.
  13. You can put a lynch pin or stainless bolt in to replace the chains, but my choice would be wrapping the chains in a leather tube, either sewn or laced up.

14. I was thinking more of latches besides the chain wrapped in something. The bed will have a cover that will latch with a lock to the tailgate. Even though is is a single panel tailgate, it would be easy to box in under the top lip to enclose a release handle and linkage to operate the latches with a lock as well. This vehicle will be places where people try to open things just to be nosy.

15. CE5DF676-C512-4CA9-8BF7-625E1605BDB9.png

Look up tenant sweeper scrubbers, they use this style of latch to hold covers on etc.

the latch is really small and thin and uses to pull push rods ( kind of like what @Mr48chev posted with the bolt locks)
    These latches take a key so you can lock it , they sit flush until you push it in , then a lever pops out to release the rods .

after what you posted about being secure and a single wall tail gate this should be somewhat easy to adapt .

or do the seat belt thing and just run a pad lock through the original chain holes when you want the tail gate secure.

One option… fancy

other option ….. simply works and is easy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  16. Thanks, Ontario.. I have a friend that retired from tennant... they are a local company...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. :rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes::eek: Ontario???

your not even trying !! I’ve been called wayyyyyyy worse !!

ramblin dan and '28phonebooth like this.
  18. 6inarow

6inarow

It looks like the guy has been out of the hobby for a lot of years. So he has one word thats not correct. You could tell what he meant - no need to hammer him

warhorseracing likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

On one of my trucks (1936), I machined an aluminum fork that the tailgate rests between. It mounts to the stake pocket. I made 2 plastic bushings that would accept a quick release pin.

Like this one. This one is way to big, but it's mainly the picture I wanted you to see.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...jX75n5TuP8dUSJVAGHMXOFlueFe9-iEIaAnE4EALw_wcB
    I found them way cheaper, but you get the idea. No chains, no rattles.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

20. My own Mother used to call me worse!!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. ^^^ I remember my first grade teacher on the first day of school. She took roll and when I didn't answer to my name, she asked why I didn't respond. I said: " 'cause my name is "You little shit"!"
    It was all downhill after that!

catdad49, nunattax and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used radiator hose

warhorseracing likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

So, if you are installing a cover that will lock down on the tailgate, why not have it extend over the top of the tailgate and then use the seat belt latches inside of the bed. The cover could also secure the tailgate as well. One lock covers everything.

I have a 49 Dodge pickup I looking at the same situation with. A cover for that 49 is a proving to be a lot more of a challenging then I suspect your Model A is, the Dodge box is a lot bigger. Gene

24. Critical?! Buwahaha!!! Just pointing out the obvious and trying to help you. 15-20 years ago your first post would have been fine OR you would have gotten bum rushed verbally. Now, the Mods tend to delete then ask questions. Hate to see some ones first post get nixxed and feeling unwanted.

WalkerMD likes this.
  25. Gene, I have come to that same conclusion. Thanks all for the input.

26. Budget36

Budget36

27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Yeah, what he said!

28. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

here's a few pictures of my F1 tailgate.

Attached Files:

• TG1.jpg
      TG1.jpg
      File size:
      87.4 KB
      Views:
    • TG3.jpg
      TG3.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • TG5.jpg