Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects An Amateur Chops a Brookville Coupe & More

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bcap55, Nov 26, 2018.

1. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent build!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Looks way better, if you got it hard anodized it would also end up about the same colour as the other piece.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

The column, steering wheel and spacer will be painted the same color as the car body. The column is stainless steel, if I were to leave it that way I would have made the spacer from stainless steel also to match.

loudbang and pprather like this.
  5. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Here is a small detail mod I made to the firewall support brackets. I always thought that the brackets looked to big, especially with a flat firewall. Since I will be running without a hood I decided to cut off a little bit to make them look a little sleeker.
    IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG
    I didn't want to leave the edge unfinished, and since the original piece had a rolled edge on it I decided to add something similar. I milled a slot in a piece of 5/16" rod to fit over the edge.
    IMG_1591.JPG
    I silver soldered the rod to the support. This really gave the pieces a nice finished edge. I think the supports look a lot better and stylish with the flat firewall.
    IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1714.JPG

alfin32, brEad, GordonC and 6 others like this.
  6. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I know this won't be considered traditional, but I really wanted to have A/C in the car. There are no install kits that I know of for a 49 Olds in a deuce coupe, so it's all home brew fabricating to make it happen.
    I thought of different ways to mount the A/C compressor, but the best way I found was to build off of the two head bolts above the number 2 cylinder.
    Here is a mockup made from 1/4" hardboard.
    IMG_1538.JPG
    Here are the real parts cut out and set in place.
    IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1543.JPG
    Something didn't look right to me, the part looked like it was missing something. I added gussets and a fill piece between them.
    The part looks more finished and stronger now.
    IMG_1566.JPG
    I cut out a notch for the spark plug wire and beveled the end to make it look better.
    IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1572.JPG
    This turned out to be a very sturdy mount. I thought I would have to add more bracing but it's good the way it is.
    I made sure the compressor pulley lined up with the front pulley groove on the water pump and crank.
    IMG_1574.JPG
    Next I'll be installing the evap unit under the dash and running the A/C lines.

Woogeroo, alfin32, brEad and 7 others like this.
  7. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

Great looking work, be proud of it.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Thanks Carl, I'm happy with the way this project worked out so far.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Even though there is nothing under the dash right now, there isn't much room for an A/C evap unit.
    I needed the smallest unit I could find and got this one from Southern Air.
    IMG_1697.JPG
    Here is where I plan on putting it.
    IMG_1695.JPG
    I want to mount the unit as close to the firewall as I can, so I used these hose fittings to keep it as compact as possible.
    IMG_1698.JPG
    There isn't much under the dash to mount the evap to, so I made this bracket to mount to a body bracket on the passenger side and the cowl vent structure. IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1702.JPG
    Here is how it attaches to the evap unit.
    IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1706.JPG
    This gets the evap unit as high up under the dash as possible, and leaves enough room to route the flex hoses out of the vent outlets.
    Also the unit is hidden out of sight behind the dash panel.
    IMG_1708.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Woogeroo, alfin32, brEad and 4 others like this.
  10. Will you be installing wipers above the AC unit?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Not sure if I'll be using wipers, but I thought they go above the windshield on a 32 Ford Coupe.

loudbang likes this.
  12. verde742

verde742

Yes they are mounted above on Fords for a few years .....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow. Incredible work on the chop.

I was thinking from the first post on, isn't the Internet incredible for raising our standards/abilities/craftsmanship?

Really great car, truly.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Thanks Brent

loudbang likes this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Nice work on hiding the A/C unit. :)

brady1929 likes this.
  16. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I'm using an alternator that looks like the generator that was originally used with the Olds motor. I mounted it on the Edelbrock manifold with the bracket that came with the original intake manifold. I thought that the alternator sat to high compared to the A/C compressor, or to close to the carbs depending on where it was swung.
    IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1547.JPG
    I modified the original bracket to move the alternator down and towards the driver side.
    I made these small tabs to bolt to the manifold and welded them to the bracket.
    IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1554.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1557.JPG
    This puts the alternator in a better spot. It looks more even with the compressor and gives me more room to fit the carbs and linkage without looking crowded.
    IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1581.JPG

17. have you put a belt(s) on to check alignment? My Edelbrock 3x2 intake did not line up with the same set up. Unit had to come forward and up to be in alignment. FWIW.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

You're right, the alternator bracket I used doesn't work with the Edelbrock manifold, the alternator won't be square with the motor pulleys unless you make an adjustment.
    If you look at the photo of the tabs I made you can see that one of them is longer than the other. The longer one goes on the front mounting point on the manifold and puts the alternator in line with the motor centerline. Tony at Ross Racing said he thinks the Edelbrock intake was made to work with a bracket for cars that came with power steering.
    I did use a spare belt to check alignment of the compressor and the alternator.

warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  19. I figured you had this dialed in but had to mention it just in case.

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  20. 4eyes are better than two any day and 20 20 hindsight is not really that good when you are fabricating. Everything is looking gooooooooood!:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  21. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I'm doing this on my own, so I'm gonna miss something eventually. I don't mind if someone calls out something I missed.
    Thanks for looking out for me guys.

22. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I plan on using a turn buckle on the A/C compressor to adjust the belt tension. The compressor has mounting lugs that I can use for the upper turn buckle rod end, but I needed something to bolt the lower rod ends to.
    The engine breather tube was in a good position to use as a mounting point, so I made a clamp to go on it to bolt the rod end to.
    I used 304 stainless for the clamp so that I can polish it to look like chrome.
    Boring the hole to fit over the breather tube.
    IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1615.JPG
    Slot milled for rod end, and a pinch bolt.
    IMG_1624.JPG
    Here is the finished part.
    IMG_1626.JPG
    Clamped on the breather tube with rod ends in place. I'll make the turn buckle piece with right and left hand threads after I find the correct length belt. The belt in the photo is just a mockup, I need a longer one.
    IMG_1689.JPG

brEad, rockable, Woogeroo and 11 others like this.
  23. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Here is a mystery part I made, let's see if anybody can guess where this part goes and what it's for.
    I started with a 1/4" plate of 304 stainless steel mounted on a rotary table on the mill.
    IMG_1674.JPG
    I used the rotary table to cut out a crescent shape in the part.
    IMG_1676.JPG IMG_1677.JPG IMG_1679.JPG
    I like holes in my parts, so I drilled a few.

IMG_1681.JPG
    I cut another slot on the outside of the part to get closer to freeing it up from the plate.
    IMG_1683.JPG
    Here it is cut out from the plate. This is as far as I can go with the mill, the rest will be done by hand machining with a belt sander and files.
    IMG_1685.JPG
    The finished part, I welded a lug onto the side.
    IMG_1819.JPG
    Let's see if anyone can figure out what this part will be used for. No prizes for correct answers.

rockable, Woogeroo and loudbang like this.
  24. a new generator bracket?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Brake caliper bracket?

loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  26. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

That's right you got it.
    I'll be using a turn buckle on the generator to adjust belt tension same as the A/C compressor. There is a threaded bolt hole at the top of the water pump housing that I can use for the lower rod mount, but no place convenient for the upper rod end on the generator. The top lug on the generator was to high and would have placed the turn buckle at a bad angle. This bracket gives me a place to bolt the upper rod end and kinda looks cool.
    IMG_1687.JPG IMG_1693.JPG

brEad, ottoman, rockable and 8 others like this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Good looking bracketry!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Thanks, it will look real nice after it's polished. I like making stuff like this out of stainless steel, after you polish them they look like chrome and is way cheaper.

brEad, loudbang and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  29. Firecat7

Firecat7

LOL...amatuer , my ass. Way to go guy. What a shop!!!!

30. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I needed to mount the receiver-drier for the A/C system in order to finalize the hose routing. I couldn't use the mounting bracket that came with the drier, so I made another one out of aluminum. It will be located on the inside of the frame rail just in front of the oil filter housing.
    IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1645.JPG
    Here are photos of the way I routed the hoses.
    IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG
    I used bulkhead fittings to go through the firewall.
    IMG_1746.JPG IMG_1748.JPG
    On the inside.
    IMG_1752.JPG
    I had to do something to hide the hoses in the interior. I made a box out of aluminum sheet to cover up the hoses.
    IMG_1827.JPG
    I welded some angle pieces to the firewall and glued magnets to the box cover. This was an easy way to attach the box cover to the firewall without having to use fasteners. The cover will eventually be covered with whatever upholstery I end up using.
    IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG

brEad, Shadow Creek and loudbang like this.