Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone used the Mr.40's stuff trunk struts kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papa's 39 koop, Sep 8, 2021.

1. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I am helping buddy on his 39 ford coupe.He is wanting to use the struts instead of the original in place of the kit. springs. Has any one used the Mr. 40s kit or is there a strut that will work?

2. Is that company still around?

3. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Not sure if they are .He pulled up their website the other day. Know I had ordered from them years ago when I did my 39. Guess I should check.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Just called them ,they are still in biz.

5. .....Cool. They always had some good stuff for '39 and '40's.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure what they charge, but usually I can beat everyone's kit price for struts by buying the parts and building my own. For my OT old Suburban I used Volvo 740 struts, and threaded pivot balls from the hardware store. For my '39 Chev coupe I used '95 Camaro hatchback struts, and the Camaro hatchback bracket for the trunk lid, and the thread pivot ball for the lower end.
    The most it's cost me was under $25 for everything.

Guy Patterson and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's my thoughts also, besides many times those kits still need some finessing.
    I did the set on my Nova and it did take two trips to NAPA to get it right but it works great.
    NAPA has a strut book showing a wide range of mounting styles, it also has a lot of diagrams and specs.
    The one thing that people don't realize is the need to spec the trunk lid weight to the strut, not just the physical working dimensions.
    This works so nice that I walk by my Nova in the shop and just try it every once in a while.

20170903_114420.jpg

8. Just for the record, those '39/'40 Coupe deck lids are plenty heavy and the arms need to be at just the right angle to work efficiently whether using a manufactured kit or a home-made solution.

lurker mick, olscrounger and jim snow like this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Me 40’s in my 40 coupe for many years, excellent. Good guys.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Used Mr, 40s on a few cars.. Work great, easy to install. Great Product....

lothiandon1940 likes this.