Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Job ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Willywash

Willywash

Could anyone recommend a good satin clear coat product? I test sprayed a high gloss clear coat on a test panel over a one stage Glazier White on my 31 A coupe. It's really way too glossy, maybe not for a trailer queen, but is for a daily driver. I considered a flat clear, but really want something in between. My paint supplier wants me to mix a matt with the high gloss and test until right, but seems it would be easier to buy a satin premixed. If ever needing to match up later, if damaged, I would know what to use. Thanks for your help!

2. A decent paint supplier should be able to flatten clear to whatever percentage of gloss that you want. Sounds like you need a better supplier.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Flat and satin clear is gloss clear with flattener added. (IF I'm wrong - show me) Have the paint store document the brand and weight of flattener added.

You'll never match a flat or satin clear for a panel replacement anyway.

Uribe likes this.
  4. I've used a ton of this, but again I'm the dumbass around here. Also while I'm at it and gonna get flamed for it, I've shot no less than I'd guess 30 hotrods with nason basecoat, cut 2-1, with about 5% urethane hardener. No clearcoat. I see them frequently, and they're still holding up. So here's where you tell me the book says i can't do that. :rolleyes:

20210908_183156.jpg

5. Well sure, but then you don't call yourself an auto body tech !

6. My homegrown ways work for me :D really don't give a shit how everybody else does it ;) what's the old saying? More than one way to skin a cat? Big difference in a hot rod and a ambr contestant

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Used chroma base with Nasons clear.. Well I didn't but the paint guy did, I just bought it ..

8. This is Delfleet base with hardener...no clear. 20210829_195410_HDR.jpg

9. I’ve seen a lot of base with hardener.
    I haven’t other than trim and no issues.
    The only possible issue would be UV damage.
    But I can’t say either way.
    I’ve also experimented with 3000-5000 grit sand papers and not polishing.
    Just used a spray on detailed. Looked good on the test panels.
    My only issue with flat clear is removing imperfections and areas that get touched a lot.
    The more you touch it, the more it glosses.

VANDENPLAS and fauj like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Stop fooling around an make it shinny,last longer an EZer to clean,plus looks good.
    No one I knew in the 1950s an 60s thought primer was a finish,just a prep,an matt was a bad failed paint job ................

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  11. rtp

rtp

I am with Dana on this . All the work to make it right, then put a paint job on it that looks like the painter screwed up.

BJR and loudbang like this.
  12. Flat or semi gloss isnt screwed up if that’s what the builder wants.
    It’s only screwed up for the ones biased in their own opinions.
    building your ride to fit someone else’s vision doesn’t make a lot of sense.
    Rock on

13. Willywash

Willywash

I found a Satin Clear...FC750 Sherwin Williams!

14. 89938_dx685-04_p04.jpg 89938_dx685-04_p04.jpg

Used this many times... READ DIRECTIONS ! and TEST panels

indyjps likes this.
  15. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Have your jobber mix up some single stage like delfleet in 60 degree gloss. Don't use clearcoat.

rod1 likes this.
  16. Just paint it glossy and add a thin layer of Vaseline.

17. Your paint supplier has given you good advice. At least I have a friend who is a body man who gave me that advice.

whiteknuckle likes this.
  18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I paint every day, my advice is just as your paint supplier said. I do this all of the time. Repairing later is easy, just do a couple of spray outs to match it and go. Here is one i did a few years ago by mixing flat and gloss,.

Attached Files:

19. Why ? Am I getting a fish costume and an extra ration of rum ?o_O

283john likes this.