Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What do you wear when wrenching?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Sep 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggster

Ziggster

Thought I would ask since I’m getting tired of looking like a bum. My go to wrenching attaire is an old pair of jogging pants and tee shirts. In the summer, I will even resort to swimming trunks, sandels or even crocs. Lol! I have a two pair of full length work overalls (summer & winter), but I find them really restrictive in both length and waist (I’m 6’-6” and 260 lbs). The track pants and tees are ok in the warmer months, but are not holding up to sparks from grinding and welding. I just finished the tear down of the frame and axles on a non-HAMB friendly project, and the grime and grease etc is just crazy. So what are you guys wearing that is both comfortable but practical?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I wear the same Levis and T shirt that I wear when I take my wife out to dinner at what passes for a swanky restaurant around here.

In other words, I'm not getting tired of looking like a bum.

3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Jeans and a tee shirt for me. Sweat shirt in the winter. At work I have to were the company uniform shirt that is some type of polyester which is cool in the summer but not so good when welding. I have a older friend who where’s his belt with the buckle to the side so he doesn’t scratch the paint when leaning over fenders. He hasn’t been a mechanic in 30 years.

4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I have an older co- worker that wears his belt rotated to the 3 o' clock position for the same reason. He too hasn't been a mechanic since the 80's.

5. What I wear depends on the planned scope of work. Shorts and Crocs are my usual for light duty wrench work in the summertime. Heavier clothing for grinding and welding.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Cotton work pants and work shirt. Avoid polyester and synthetics because of fire hazard. Good boots preferably steel toed but even plain leather is better than joggers or crocs. Jay Leno's uniform of blue jeans and blue denim work shirt is good safe and practical.

AVater and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Hmmmmmm, The HAMB fashion show.

Kiwi 4d and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’ve thought about trying out a halter top and “Daisy Dukes” but I might not have the figure to pull off that look anymore.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Started wearing suspenders about a year ago. Love 'em. Just yesterday someone said "you'd look younger without those". "So?"

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coveralls are still the preferred attire when in the engine room !

golden alaska engine room.jpg

greybeard360 likes this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always try to look my best...in the garage, or out.

[​IMG]

12. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I see your from Canada. I had friends from there that called that a Canadian tuxedo. When I was in welding school that was pretty much the uniform. As practical as the shirts are I just can’t seem to warm up to them. But that’s pretty much all my father ever wore when welding.

13. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Wow. We can’t un see that. But you look good. I hope you put that on the hamber mug shot thread.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm with you. The only time I'm truly clean and well dressed is for metical appointments, which unfortunately are becoming more frequent. The rest of the world can stick it. In fact I've even become cynical. When I see a guy in a suit I think he's the bum.

15. low down A

low down A

have we ran out of car topic's to discuss? or is this the new male getting in touch with is feeling's? what shoe's, what radio station,what brand of soy latte do you prefer. just put your levi's on and grab the event T shirt on from the top of the folded pile and don't give it a second thought

427 sleeper likes this.
  16. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Pretty much what Rusty said with a bit of modification: I usually wear a similar variety on a daily basis. The better of these go out in public. When these wear/fray/rip they evolve into “garage wear” which ultimately wind up in the trash. Usually a bigger, messier greasier job is what kills them off.

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  17. Ziggster

Ziggster

Haha! At my age, I’m not trying to get in touch with my feelings, just wondering what others are wearing. My neighbour pops over on a nearly daily basis lately to see what I’ve been up to. A bunch of holes in my shirts and pants is not the best especially when his wife and kids are around. Lol!

427 sleeper likes this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"folded"o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. indyjps

indyjps

Light duty - shorts, t shirt, low Redwing
    Medium duty - old khakis, t short or long sleeve, low Redwings
    Heavy duty - coveralls, or welding jacket.

Nothing synthetic. Grinding sparks melt right thru.

Depends on the job / day, I keep coveralls around if the scope changes.

I have a lot of old khakis from work, dont know if that steps up my garage attire or makes me look more like a bum VS jeans.

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have dressed like a bum all my life but I do try to wear a clean t-shirt when I go to church.

427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some coveralls at goodwill to tear up when I'm doing really dirty work, it's nice to be able to just peel those off and settle down inside without needing to change. Most of the time it's just blue jeans and whatever t-shirt I was wearing at work.

427 sleeper likes this.
  22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.