Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mystery Desoto Bracket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Anybody sitting on one of these, or know it’s origin?
    Maybe the guy who bought it from @Tdesoto276 last month?
    It’s marked “Resto Rides”. Nothing on them on Google.
    Yeah, I know it’s forbidden fruit, but it would allow me to mount my early Mopar alternator.

upload_2021-9-2_11-18-41.png

upload_2021-9-2_11-19-47.png

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm sure you could make something to take it's place, using a few scraps of steel, a welder, some cutting and drilling equipment, and a few hours. No billet needed.

kidcampbell71, fauj and anothercarguy like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It comes up under 2040 Parts but it also comes up as a red flag company via ebay.

4. Unobtanium. Thanks for the responses. Guess it’s time to get creative.

5. dwollam

dwollam

I used the stock generator bracket on my '52 331 hemi to mount an early Mopar alternator. Just added a spacer tube made from a '29 Model A headlight bar and a piece of all thread. Tube is actually 1 short piece between the ears of the alt and 1 longer piece between the alt and the rear of the stock bracket. Since Mopar brought out their alt in 1960 it is traditional!

Depends on the look you are going for but works for me.

Dave

20210719_110156.jpg

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd put it together with that bracket and if it works use it as a pattern...
    This will allow you to make adjustments need in your final part...

hotrodA likes this.
  7. lowrd

lowrd

I used a similar bracket on an early small block Chev. Ground the name off dulled the edges and bead blasted it.
    After a little cast gray spray paint, it was way less offensive.

Deuces, oldiron 440 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

uh...I think the point is that he doesn't have the billet bracket, he just has pictures of it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Heads sells a generator bracket p\n 50057 that mounts in the stock location as shown in your second photo

Deuces, oldiron 440 and hotrodA like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've installed several alternators just as D Wollam showed on his. On the Mopar alternator it would be best to make a spacer that went between the back tab on the alternator and the front of the mount so not to risk breaking that tab. An old hollow Ford steering shaft makes real nice spacers but you can use a piece of tubing or proper diameter pipe. Usually the only cost is a bolt long enough to go through alternator, spacer and brackets.

11. dwollam

dwollam

@Mr48chev that's the way mine is. 2 tube spacers and then a few washers to line up the belt. Never wiggles. I do need a shorter belt tho as the 1st alt I put on there had a bigger pulley, but it died rather quickly.

Dave

12. Thanks for all the responses. I’ve decided to wait until the engine is back in place.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just thinking that if you decide to fab your own bracket similar to the one you showed in the opening post you could set it up like DWollam did his and then take your measurements off that to design your own bracket. A pretty simple cut, drill and weld deal once you have exact measurements to go by.

ras likes this.
  14. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

Another option here. I flipped the stock generator bracket and ran the alternator off the lower right side of the engine. The alternator is hinged off the stock timing cover where the belt tensioner sits and uses the adjustment in the generator bracket to keep a single belt tight. This location does interfere with the mechanical fuel pump, but I was running an electric pump anyway.
    6.jpg

This shows the location on the timing cover:

3.jpg
    The side views show that you will need to account for the depth of the pulleys in attaching the alternator and generator bracket.

2.JPG

1.JPG

dwollam and Fordors like this.